Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss the old days of Rafter, Sampras, and Edberg, players that didnt just dare to serve volley, but serve volley was a game style that was permissible because of how the game was

Ever since the advent of powerful racquets/ racquets with ridiculous top spin, serve volley and the game style has become a thing of the past, its more of a powerful unreturnable serve which has come back short to the server to hit away a drive winner

Just look at Stefan Edberg, he was a skinny stick figure of a man, he was clever with where he placed his serves, and forced opponents to hit a ball back for him at a favourable position for him to serve volley

Oh well we can only dream :rolleyes:

And baseliners like Nadal could still exist with lesser racquets, how else did guys like Agassi and Courier adapt to Edberg and Sampras

·
Registered
744 Posts
I didn't think it was possible to miss Edberg and Sampras.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Maybe if we don't have modern medicine and science, then yes.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Let's all revert to wooden racquets and strings made from fair maiden's virgin pubes.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I said it in another thread a while ago but any racquet over 100 sq. in should be banned from the professional game and only allowed for recreational players.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Also, lets all abandon computers and start posting this using typewriters and send each other letters in the mail.

:facepalm:

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
limiting? - no.

bringing back what was 20 years ago - yes.

making gut strings mandatory - yes.

making courts as they were 20 years ago - yes.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Why just limit racquets? Why not limit cars and go back to horses so people get out more? Or maybe no planes, so you won't have to take your shoes out for the security checkpoint? The only thing I want is the courts back from those years. Leave the tech alone

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Why just limit racquets? Why not limit cars and go back to horses so people get out more? Or maybe no planes, so you won't have to take your shoes out for the security checkpoint?
:yeah:

·
Bring it Home
20,660 Posts
Would be great if ATP make the use of natural gut strings mandatory. Would make the two worst things in tennis (power botting and moonballing) much tougher to do. Moonballing would be virtually impossible. :worship:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts