Mens Tennis Forums banner

Would a modern player be a wimp if they retired so young?

• Yes

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No way to know

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Different times

Votes: 9 39.1%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about this.

I have no idea how it was percieved when Borg retired at his age.

Can you imagine a Djokvoic, a Federer, a Nadal, even a Murray retiring at such a young age?

I know he had achieved a lot at that point. But surely he cant have been nieve enough to think his records would stay?

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
I don't see why. A player retires when he wants to retire.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think the real question is whether their greatest rival would go to extreme lengths to try and persuade them to change their mind, like McEnroe did.

Personally I can't see any of the top three being too disappointed if one of the others decided to call it a day.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think the real question is whether their greatest rival would go to extreme lengths to try and persuade them to change their mind, like McEnroe did.

Personally I can't see any of the top three being too disappointed if one of the others decided to call it a day.
Well maybe if it's clear that the person will continue on losing anyway, I would persuade him too if he has a positive H2H over me so I can have chance to reverse it :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Borg won their last two matches though. He wasn't exactly done and dusted.

It's true that McEnroe probably would have ended up with a positive head to head if they'd continued - after all, he was the younger player. But as a tradeoff he also would have almost certainly ended up with a worse career record.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
McEnroe never faced mighty Borg on clay. If he had, he'd get multiple roastings and H2H would have looked really lopsided.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Borg won their last two matches though. He wasn't exactly done and dusted.

It's true that McEnroe probably would have ended up with a positive head to head if they'd continued - after all, he was the younger player. But as a tradeoff he also would have almost certainly ended up with a worse career record.
Yeah but McEnroe won their last 2 grandslam meetings. But my post is not in reference to McEnroe/Borg, just to justify why some of the top players today might convince Nadal for example to not retire yet :D

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
Borg played 100 more matches than Nadull has at the moment so I guess we'll see what the general reaction is when Nadull retires by the end of next year (possibly with Fed).

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Federer could have retired after 08 Wimbledon or 09 Australian, seen by some as a "changing of the guard" but he stuck out there, and even though hes never really been able to topple Nadal on the biggest stage, he hasnt regressed against him either, you have to admire his courage in that regard. And it worked out pretty well for him sticking around.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Federer could have retired after 08 Wimbledon or 09 Australian, seen by some as a "changing of the guard" but he stuck out there, and even though hes never really been able to topple Nadal on the biggest stage, he hasnt regressed against him either, you have to admire his courage in that regard. And it worked out pretty well for him sticking around.
Best topic and post that I have seen by 2003 so far. :)

I think this is one aspect where Federer's mental strength trumps Borg's. I agree with most people about Borg's mental strength/courage/fight during tennis matches. But I think if we were to regard him through his profession as a tennis player, then mental strength/courage would not be as highly rated. The fact that he retired early mainly because McEnroe surpassed him in the rankings and took his Wimbledon title shows indicates a lack of 'fight' when facing a true challenge. (Who would quit their job/uni/school if they are no longer the 'employee of the year' or 'top of the class'?) If he had continued playing regularly, he might have won another slam or two during 82-84. But he did still have a great career.

Likewise, if Federer had retired sometime either after Wimbledon 2008 or Australian Open 2009 after the tough losses to Nadal, then he would have missed out on winning a few more slams.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Borg was a laid back guy who loved to party and just relax and have a good time like any other youth in the 70s, there was no sparta shit going on in the 70s except maybe someone like Connors and later Lendl ultimately destroying the cool thing going on between Borg an Mcenroe and tennis never got back to this height in popularity....

Federer and Nadal are more tennis nerds representing the 2000s, obsessed with numbers and records and stay away from parties and the promiscuos lifestyle like the "nice guys" they were raised up to be, they represent the 2000s much the way Borg and Mcenroe were perfect representatives of the 70s.

3,728 Posts
bjorn borg was no coward or wimp

if he had not left then he would be dead now

no one protected him like top stars get protected today- he was a very personal reserved guy

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It's tough to picture any of the top guys doing that, if there's no injury issue.

The closest current comparison would be Justine Henin's first retirement.

·
Banned
3,761 Posts
Borg played 100 more matches than Nadull has at the moment so I guess we'll see what the general reaction is when Nadull retires by the end of next year (possibly with Fed).
It's posts like this that make you an invaluable asset to this board :cool:

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Not all tennis players like playing tennis. No wimpiness about it.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Safin retired pretty early when you consider his talent/possible longevity, I guess injury played a big part in that but still.. I don't think it makes a difference, especially big players who have won lots of tournaments (and money) and have nothing to prove in terms of ability or talent. In the case of a Federer or a Nadal - I could see no one judging them as wimps, perhaps people would have objections to them retiring while still virtually managing the mens game (and now Djoker too). Essentially, if the fire has gone and the player proclaims this, then why would anyone judge them ? at least they are being honest.

·
Banned
10,825 Posts
Btw, when did the "spartan" crap start anyway? I haven't been here that long :)
I believe you have to thank the extreme Rafappers for that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts