• Opponent Choke Match Point

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone is obviously happy to win a GS, no matter how it happens, whether it be a hot shot volley/ passing shot or opponent choke. However, there are some real bummers to win I think of that don't allow for usual BS stuff, including falling down, kissing the court, running up to stands, etc.

- Opponent retirement middle of match
- Beating an obviously crippled/physically unable opponent
- Opponent double faults on MP
- Lucky net cord on MP (are u suppose to still apologize or just celebrate?)
- Opponent choke on MP (e.g. missing easy overhead volley)

There may be more I can't think of. But of those, which is the worst way to celebrate a win?

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
By destroying your opponent so badly that you feel it's out of place to really celebrate it your usual way falling to the ground.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
You summed up Nadal's career with the poll options. Bless you for doing that. Him and his fans would consider all those things fair!

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
By destroying your opponent so badly that you feel it's out of place to really celebrate it your usual way falling to the ground.

He was not excited in that 08 RG final. Bagel and breadstick. Too easy for him.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You summed up Nadal's career with the poll options. Bless you for doing that. Him and his fans would consider all those things fair!
Well, to be fair none of them are the winner's faults, except maybe net cord :shrug: I agree it sucks to win against an injured opponent or through retirement (e.g. Wawrinka reaction this year at AO)

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Well, to be fair none of them are the winner's faults, except maybe net cord :shrug: I agree it sucks to win against an injured opponent or through retirement (e.g. Wawrinka reaction this year at AO)
You think Nadal was injured against Stan? Please don't tell me you fell for that. The crowd were dead on, booing Rafito for his usual MTO tactics. He only took one because he was getting hit off the court by Stan. Disgusting trying to take the shine off Stanley's win. Glad Stanley still destroyed him though it would have been 3 without his antics.

Nole was injured at US Open 2011 but still gave Nadal a breadstick while rolling in his serves. Beautiful stuff :worship:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Btw, does anyone know of any retirements or net cord winners on MP in GS finals? I know DF has happened a few times:
93 USO Pioline vs Sampras
98 USO Philippoussis vs Rafter
12 FO Djokovic vs Nadal

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You think Nadal was injured against Stan? Please don't tell me you fell for that. The crowd were dead on, booing Rafito for his usual MTO tactics. Disgusting trying to take the shine off Stanley's win. Glad Stanley still destroyed him though it would have been 3 without his antics.

Nole was injured at us open 2011 but still gave Nadal a breadstick while rolling in his serves. Beautiful stuff :worship:
Well apparently Stan thought Nadal was injured and maybe got too comfortable and didn't want to celebrate :shrug: I'm not sure personally, he did seem like he was moving much worse but the MTO was also at a very opporunitistic time

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts
Totally hypothetical.

To have your opponent fake the severity of a niggle making it look like a serious injury only because the crowd boos him to death for all the gamesmanship he has used in the past.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Being two sets and a break down when play gets interrupted by rain and then being told the opponent is to ill to resume the match when the rain clears.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Your opponent is your friend who you have known for 15 years and played doubles regularly and he totally succumbs to nerves and plays one of the worst matches of his career hitting numerous double faults and yelling "I can't serve like this anymore!" mid-match. You feel so bad and embarrassed for him that you want it to be over and run off the court asap.
Not sure it has ever been the case in men's finals but that's exactly what happened in Myskina/Dementieva RG 2004 final.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
You think Nadal was injured against Stan? Please don't tell me you fell for that. The crowd were dead on, booing Rafito for his usual MTO tactics. He only took one because he was getting hit off the court by Stan. Disgusting trying to take the shine off Stanley's win. Glad Stanley still destroyed him though it would have been 3 without his antics.

Nole was injured at US Open 2011 but still gave Nadal a breadstick while rolling in his serves. Beautiful stuff :worship:
Nadal didn't fake injury in AO final. His first serve speed was obviously affected. Fighting hard with a little bit of luck to take a set back didn't mean faking injury. On the contrary it shows how mentally strong Nadal is.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Imagine winning due to a retirement. The Nishikori Nadal situation was bad enough, especially cos Nishikori was owning him,but in a grand slam final. Awful.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts