Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sadly, I have to agree with you. That was definitely the worst performance I have ever seen from Marat.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
tad embarassing. Murray is good, but he shouldn't be giving safin breadsticks

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
A most pathetic performance by Safin especially in the 2nd set, some of those errors were :eek: He got through and what matters is the big W beside his name. Davai Marat :rocker2:

Reactions: Carolinita

·
Registered
264 Posts
Maybe Marat was complacent and over-confident?

Does seem like all the top guys are having trouble this week.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
federer express said:
and murray...can he do much besides keeping the ball in play? get some upper body strength!!
Forget the upper body strength. He needs to work on them legs first. If he starts cramping, it doesn't matter how big his pectorals are!

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
World Beater said:
Forget the upper body strength. He needs to work on them legs first. If he starts cramping, it doesn't matter how big his pectorals are!
as someone else said in another thread, you would struggle to find a weaker guy of his age. he was physically done by the end of the second set...pathetic!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I don't think Andy played very well either. Definitely not as good as last night against Dent. Safin @ 40% v Murray @ 70% = a 3 set error fest, with Safin just too good at the end.

Andy definitely does need to work on his fitness. In fairness he has played 6 straight weeks and played 3 matches on Saturday/Sunday to win the Challenger in Binghampton, flew to Ohio, played Monday against a player on a higher level in terms of experience/ranking and then playing Safin he started looking very tired. It was also a problem for him at Queens and Wimbledon though. I think in the off season he will work hard on the fitness and training. The rest of this season is gravy. Next year is when he has to prove he's not a good rookie but can rise through the tour and compete.

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Raquel said:
I don't think Andy played very well either. Definitely not as good as last night against Dent. Safin @ 40% v Murray @ 70% = a 3 set error fest, with Safin just too good at the end.

Andy definitely does need to work on his fitness. In fairness he has played 6 straight weeks and played 3 matches on Saturday/Sunday to win the Challenger in Binghampton, flew to Ohio, played Monday against a player on a higher level in terms of experience/ranking and then playing Safin he started looking very tired. It was also a problem for him at Queens and Wimbledon though. I think in the off season he will work hard on the fitness and training. The rest of this season is gravy. Next year is when he has to prove he's not a good rookie but can rise through the tour and compete.
good points. except for comparing today's match to his performance against dent. taylor dent is the perfect match-up for murray. andy doesn't have the necessary physical attributes to beat top baseliners at the moment, so his best chance is against someone like dent.

in the off-season he needs some serious work in the gym!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Was it really THAT bad?
How the hell did Murray have to play then ? ;)

Anyway, we shouldn’t be judging the winner, and a guy who’s playing against medical advice with still some sore in his knee, especially if it's Marat. We all know how fussy he can be even without any injury. I'm both happy and shocked that he actually seems like wanting to make a good result in Cincy.

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tall_one said:
you have obviously missed some of Marat's other embarassing performances if you can say that. Besides the guy is coming back from injury, what were you expecting?
i didn't see him beat hernych but he must have played better than this. he had more than 15 unforced errors in the second set which he lost 6-1. i have seen him lose some bad matches before but this was piss poor!! awful!!!

the good news is he will get better :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts