Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which one?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Expect my opinion to be an unpopular one here. For me it's Djokovic in 2013 Wimbledon final. The scoreline could not tell enough how bad it is. Murray was good that day, but not too great, Djokovic's performance was totally garbage.

Other mentions:
Federer - 2008 FO final: The scoreline told it all. Federer was horrible in 2008, and absolutely bad in that day, but also Nadal pulled off a GOAT performance.
Nadal - 2014 AO final: First 1.5 set he played better than his 2019 edition, but Wawa still blew him off the court. Then the injury being announced.
Nadal - 2019 AO final: Uninspiring performance by Nadal, though Djokovic was simply too good that day.
Djokovic - 2020 FO final: All the conditions, momentum, form,... were supposed to favor Djokovic before the match. Then Nadal gave him a total beatdown with only 7 games spared.
Djokovic - 2021 USO final: Well, CYGS hunt ended in straight sets by a nextgen, couldn't be worse.

So which one for you? Consider match conditions and opponent’s level as well beside the scoreline.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I can't speak for Nole and Rafamily of course, that's no my affair, but from my point of view, Federer's most inexcusable defeat was US Open 2009, against Del Potro, for reasons already largely explained here.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I can't speak for Nole and Rafamily of course, that's no my affair, but from my point of view, Federer's most inexcusable defeat was US Open 2009, against Del Potro, for reasons already largely explained here.
You are right that it was Federer's worst defeat. That was the worst I have ever seen Federer serve in a Grandslam match. He had 11 Double Faults and his First Serve % was 49%. This is a match which he should have won in straight sets but ended up losing in 5 sets. A very weird match from Federer. He could have had a chance to win 4 slams in row at Australian Open 2010 if he won this.

·
Registered
685 Posts
AO2014 shouldn't be there as Nadal couldn't play from the start. Evidence showss that any minimally good Nadal is a non-event against Wawrinka.
AO2019-US21 were just quite subpar matches but not that horrendous as RG08.
Nadal was goating in 2020 and Djokovic tried something at least. 2008 was really just a practice match

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Was between RG 08 and USO 21, went for the latter because at least Federer was facing a peak Claydal, Djokovic had no excuse. AO 2019 a dishonorable third as Rafa just sucked in that match.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
He had 11 Double Faults and his First Serve % was 49%. This is a match which he should have won in straight sets but ended up losing in 5 sets.
I can't confirm this with certainty, but rumors circulated before the final that back pain had woken up... which is possible if we saw his gala match in SF, and noting these poor statistics that you remember.

And would easily explain his nervous and irascible mood during the final... when he knows he won't finish in 3 sets and that the match will last a long time.

2,826 Posts
Federer in RG 08 was flat out terrible but he was sick with mono and played peak Moonballer. Pencilhead got straight setted by a nextgen and he literally straight setted that same player earlier in the AO that year. Dull got a massive beat down in 2019 AO but Pencilhead just was never gonna lose that match from the start. I think the 2021 USO takes the cake as Pencilhead was healthy and played a nextgen and got straight setted.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
USO 2021 in my opinion, novak just couldn't reach his 2nd gear, it was a very poor performance. Mentally he wasn't there.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
In terms of pure performance, the USO 2021 Final against Medvedev.

Yes, there were extenuating circumstances in that he was going for the CYGS but his performance was still absolutely dreadful. Some of his UEs were inexplicable for someone of that level.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Djokovic was TERRIBLE in the Wimbledon 2013 final so that's the first one that came to mind for me, but yeah he was probably even worse during last year's USO final. The latter performance was a bit more forgivable given the context.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The first is obviously the 2008 FO from Roger(only bad loss of his which is impressive) , but second place has to be Djokovic vs Murray. Total lack of motivation, game and from the get go he wasn’t in the match. Against Nadal RG 2020 he was just up against a superior opponent on the surface( Same can be said for Rafa’s loss at AO 2019). Against Med he was poor but in the first two sets he was more unclutch than bad. Rafa was injured against Stan and even with that setback he won a set.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Federer W08. Best match of all time my ass. Federer sucked and should’ve lost is straights. He completely forgot how to hit a forehand in that match. Seeing Nadal at the other side made him completely lose it. I can even watch five minutes of that match without puking that’s how bad he was
I agree, Federer was horrendous in 2008, his performance in the Wimbledon final is not an exception. His so-called grass peak only appeared occasionally in that match, which helped him not to lose in straights.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Federer W08. Best match of all time my ass. Federer sucked and should’ve lost is straights. He completely forgot how to hit a forehand in that match. Seeing Nadal at the other side made him completely lose it. I can even watch five minutes of that match without puking that’s how bad he was
That's why I briefly recalled the context yesterday.:dunno:.
insanity to compare it with Borg Wimbledon 1980 :sick:

#57 · 20 h ago

If Nadal 2008 making the longest streak of his career
....................................................From...................................................................To
11-05-200828-07-20082008 Hamburg Masters Clay R322008 Cincinnati Masters Hard QF32

doesn't beat this Federer 2008 losing to Fish, Stepanek, Simon(x2), Karlovic, Black, and of course Nadal himself (x4 after RG 6-1 6-3 6-0 ) that year, I don't know when he beat him at Wimbledon..

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I agree, Federer was horrendous in 2008, his performance in the Wimbledon final is not an exception. His so-called grass peak only appeared occasionally in that match, which helped him not to lose in straights.
He played a great USO though. After a shaky match vs Andreev he stepped up his game and completely annihilated Djokovic and Murray with his blazing forehand (a shot that had sucked all year) he saved his season an a ranking inside the top 3 with this performance

1 - 20 of 27 Posts