7,411 Posts
surface?

·
Tênis Mambembe
36,773 Posts
it's decided, hard (Rebound Ace)

http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=14537

Germany picks Rebound Ace
Germany has chosen Rebound Ace as the indoor surface for its Davis Cup quarterfinal against Spain to be held in Bremen on April 11-13.

"We've had some good experience with this surface and that's why we decided to use it again in the match against Spain," said Germany's Davis Cup captain Patrik Kuehnen .

Germany beat Croatia on the same surface in last year's first round 3-2.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Rebound Ace, what a surprise :eek:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Rebound Ace, what a surprise :eek:
That's a asshole choice

they select exactly the hardcourt surface which takes Nadal's topspins the most

result: Spain 4-1

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
That's a asshole choice

they select exactly the hardcourt surface which takes Nadal's topspins the most

result: Spain 4-1
Not long ago I remember that you complained that Germany focused too much on weakening the opponent with the choice of surface instead of playing to their own strengths. Now they finally play on Rebound Ace, a surface where almost all German players had their biggest success of their careers (like Kiefer, Haas, Kohlschreiber, even Schüttler if he played) and it's still not right for you :lol:

Okay, I don't wanna say that Germany always chose the best possible surface in the last few years, but this time it seems to be a good one if they can't play on grass.

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts
Hard to see Germany winning this without a reliable second singles player. Kohli will have to walk on water.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Too bad Kiefer is in poor form, otherwise they could go with grass easily.
I think Germany wouldn't have had the possibility to play on grass in that short time which is available from February to April anyway. And the climate in Germany doesn't allow it. I believe they never played on grass in their entire Davis Cup history in other months than June or July.

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
I think Germany wouldn't have had the possibility to play on grass in that short time which is available from February to April anyway. And the climate in Germany doesn't allow it. I believe they never played on grass in their entire Davis Cup history in other months than June or July.
Indoor carpet/grass is possible. But Kohlschreiber would suffer.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I wonder if they'll have the hawkeye installed? Would be the first big tennis event with that technology, since we only have clay tournaments left.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Halle has an indoor centre court. why they don't use them ?
Because it's booked almost the entire year with other events, so it's impossible to get it for one whole week for Davis Cup in the short amount of time which was available.

GlennMirnyi said:
Indoor carpet/grass is possible.
Carpet yes, but not grass because the lawn would not have been ready until then without knowing it earlier.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Well, they had more time than that, since it would have been a huge surprise, had Germany lost against Korea.
Of course, they couldn't be 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Well, they had more time than that, since it would have been a huge surprise, had Germany lost against Korea.
Of course, they couldn't be 100% sure.
Yes, if you see from this angle, then yes. I just read an comment of Ralf Weber who said it would not have been possible in that given time. But anyways, why are we even talking about indoor grass? It would be much too slippery and maybe the cost play a bigger role than we are thinking.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts