Ball: Head ATP

Argentina leads Croatia 2-0

Last meeting:
2006 World Group Quarterfinal
Argentina d. Croatia 3-2 (in Croatia)

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
it will be played at Parque Roca, Clay Outdoor. It should be really slow bounce.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Is Del Potro supposed to play?

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
it will be played at Parque Roca, Clay Outdoor. It should be really slow bounce.
how many times has Argentina played in Parque Roca for Davis Cup now?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Since 2006, Argentina has played there all the ties. There is an exception: 2008 final against Spain.It was played in Mar Del Plata(Spain won). Curiosity: Argentina has never lost a tie in Parque Roca.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Argentina should beat Croatia without Del Potro (only need to beat Karlovic once over the 3 days), but it would be a nice signal of intent if they could count on him for this tie.

He'd also get an early warm-up for the European clay court season, and would have a week to make the trip to Monte Carlo and get adjusted to the conditions over there.

The scheduling shouldn't be a problem for him, as it wouldn't be for the SF either (coming from New York, with a week off before the commencement of the Asian swing).

Since 2006, Argentina has played there all the ties. There is an exception: 2008 final against Spain.It was played in Mar Del Plata(Spain won). Curiosity: Argentina has never lost a tie in Parque Roca.
Mar Del Plata was the most significant home tie for you, unfortunately. And, if you reach the final again this year, and it is another home tie, presumably you cannot rely on Parque Roca in November.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
Mar Del Plata was the most significant home tie for you, unfortunately. And, if you reach the final again this year, and it is another home tie, presumably you cannot rely on Parque Roca in November.
Wait is this a stated rule?

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Argentina should beat Croatia without Del Potro (only need to beat Karlovic once over the 3 days), but it would be a nice signal of intent if they could count on him for this tie.
Well, Dodig most probably won't play the singles rubbers, as Cilic will be back. I mean, of course Marin is only coming back now after a few months, but surely you can't count on both Argentina's players definitely beating him, can you? :scratch:

·
Registered
3,413 Posts

He'd also get an early warm-up for the European clay court season, and would have a week to make the trip to Monte Carlo and get adjusted to the conditions over there.

The scheduling shouldn't be a problem for him, as it wouldn't be for the SF either (coming from New York, with a week off before the commencement of the Asian swing).

Why not? :confused:

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Well, Dodig most probably won't play the singles rubbers, as Cilic will be back. I mean, of course Marin is only coming back now after a few months, but surely you can't count on both Argentina's players definitely beating him, can you? :scratch:
I had completely forgotten about Cilic at the time of typing that! :lol:

If Argentina has Del Potro and Monaco for singles, I'd suggest that both should beat him. If Nalbandian plays, obviously there is greater doubt...but his game style is tricky for Cilic on a slow surface imo.

The crowd is likely to play a big part as well, especially if Argentina gets into some trouble on the Sunday.

lucho_coria said:
I got confused with your seasons, sorry!

Parque Roca is always an outdoor venue, isn't it? Could the team use it in September and November as well, if they wish?

Why didn't Argentina host Spain at Parque Roca for that final a few years ago?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I had completely forgotten about Cilic at the time of typing that! :lol:

If Argentina has Del Potro and Monaco for singles, I'd suggest that both should beat him. If Nalbandian plays, obviously there is greater doubt...but his game style is tricky for Cilic on a slow surface imo.

The crowd is likely to play a big part as well, especially if Argentina gets into some trouble on the Sunday.

I got confused with your seasons, sorry!

Parque Roca is always an outdoor venue, isn't it? Could the team use it in September and November as well, if they wish?

Why didn't Argentina host Spain at Parque Roca for that final a few years ago?
Yes, we could use it in November and all the months the team want. Argentina didnt host Spain at Parque Roca because we decided to play against Spain on indoor carpet, nadal's worst surface. But some weeks before the start of the tie Nadal decided to not come here, so we couldn't change the venue. ;)

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
With neither of the Croats being in form, my enthusiasm about this tie is brought down.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Finally, Delpo will play. The team is confirmed:

- Juan Martin Del Potro
- Juan Monaco
- David Nalbandian
- Eduardo Schwank
+ Juan Ignacio Chela, who apparently won't play.

Otherwise, "ticketek" surprised us whit prizes twice expensive compared with 2011. :confused:

Maybe this time i'll see it on TV. :eek:

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
+ Juan Ignacio Chela, who apparently won't play.

Otherwise, "ticketek" surprised us whit prizes twice expensive compared with 2011. :confused:

Maybe this time i'll see it on TV. :eek:
yup, but we should start saving for the Semifinals!

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ITF has announced the official team nominations for the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group quarterfinal and zone group ties taking place on 6-8 April. Follow all the action on the official Davis Cup by BNP Paribas websites: www.daviscup.com and www.copadavis.com.

ARGENTINA v CROATIA
Venue: Parque Roca, Buenos Aires, ARG (clay – outdoor)

Argentina
Juan Martin del Potro
Juan Monaco
David Nalbandian
Eduardo Schwank
Captain: Martin Jaite

Croatia
Marin Cilic
Ivo Karlovic
Antonio Veic
Lovro Zovko
Captain: Zeljko Krajan

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Argentina should get the job done. Realistically, they can win ANY of the five rubbers, and Croatia isn't really guaranteed anything.

Having Del Potro on the team should practically put Argentina 2-0 up, and it is interesting that he beat Karlovic and Cilic in successive matches only last week! Having DelPo back on the team is a big bonus for Argentina, and his loss to Ferrer in R4 of Miami isn't a bad thing - he has 10 days to prepare for this tie.

Monaco and Nalbandian have also showed encouraging form over the last month.

Monaco should be looking to grind out singles victories as well (although he can't afford lapses against Karlovic, in particular).

Nalbandian is likely to be rested on Friday, which should strengthen his partnership with Schwank. They would have a very good chance to win the doubles - Veic and Zovko aren't a fearsome combination. Failing that, Croatia might be relying on a potentially fatigued Karlovic, and/or Cilic's dodgy doubles skills.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Veic and Zovko most definitely won't be playing doubles :p
Anyhow, yup, no chances for us whatsoever. Not even Ivo is in form now.. 5-0 or 4-1 Argentina.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts