Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
1 year ago I predicted Nadal to End 2018 with 82-83 atp tites and +- 835-838 atp wins

2-3 extra titles until the end of the year and 22-25 more match wins doesnt seem that unrealistic. But people were calling me out for this.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 year ago I predicted Nadal to End 2018 with 82-83 atp tites and +- 835-838 atp wins

2-3 extra titles until the end of the year and 22-25 more match wins doesnt seem that unrealistic. But people were calling me out for this.
Nadal has 913 wins already.

I think he can finish 2018 with 82 titles, hopefully USO 2018 being one of these.
WTF is a dream, but with Rafa everything is possible.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
YOu really think so? I don't. Fed has 98, Rafa, 80. A 82 title difference, if Rafa played four more years (I think that's an optimistic guess, given his tendencies for injuries) that would be 7 a year! That's what he posts in his very best years, I don't think there's any way he does that for four years as an average.
Also, that's assuming Fed gets no more titles, and I know he will, maybe 500s.

For Rafa to catch Fed he'd have to play alot of 250s, just for that purpose. Fed actually has a lot of 250 titles, that is part of his huge number. In MTF lingo, this is called "vulturing." YOu wouldn't want Rafa to be a vulture, would you?
But he will come close on the titles. Fed is still 2nd to Connors and no-one argues Copnnors is better due to # of titles.

Rafa does not have to catch every single Fed record. he's already passed a big one, 1000s, and it's going to stand (unless djok catches Rafa, but I don't think so) and of course, the all important H2H. So many of Fed's records are due to 2004-2007 lack of competition--otherwise known as weak era ( a term that gets thrown around so recklessly now, to minimize the meaning of a true weakera at the top, no rival for Fed then) If Rafa finishes YE #1 again, that record too. I think he can catch the slam count.

When it's all played out, I think Rafa will have caught so many of Fed's records only liars will still call Fed GOAT--and that will be most of the tennis media and his most Federista fans. Rafa fans will just have to live with this injustice, as we have lived with it all along.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
LOL wait, that's and 18 title difference.

Hmmm, so 4/12 titles a year, average. Doable! But Fed will get some more, if only to stay ahead of Rafa.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
LOL wait, that's and 18 title difference.

Hmmm, so 4/12 titles a year, average. Doable! But Fed will get some more, if only to stay ahead of Rafa.
If Rafa ends with couple of titles more this year he is basically 1 year ahead in the age-comparison chart, as Federer ended 2014 (the year he ended 33) with 82 titles. Also Federer didnt add any title in 2016.

Federer ended 2016 with 88 titles, which would mean Nadal has until 2021 to end with 88 titles. Basically Nadal has the ended of this season and 3 full seasons more to add 8 titles... Maybe Nadal might not have the same success at 35-36 yo... but Rafa can have much more success between 32-35, and compensate in amount of titles.

·
Registered
990 Posts
This is not how tennis works.
It is for morons like most of the people who have posted in this thread, they can't just sit back and see if it does happen, and they're so arrogant they can't even say 'I think' when giving an opinion.

Worst fanbase I've seen in any sport by miles, give me a room full of Man Utd and Liverpool fans any day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nadal’s weakest surface is indoors even though he has won on that ‘surface’. He has never won the end of year masters title and may never do so. However he has good chances of winning another Australian title. If he does that he would be the only player alongside with Rod Laver in the professional era to win each grand slam title at least twice.

If he does that but does not win any other grand slam title and if his total number of titles would be inferior to Federer’s at the end of their runs, l would say that Nadal would have achieved as much as Federer in his career.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
YOu really think so? I don't. Fed has 98, Rafa, 80. A 82 title difference, if Rafa played four more years (I think that's an optimistic guess, given his tendencies for injuries) that would be 7 a year! That's what he posts in his very best years, I don't think there's any way he does that for four years as an average.

For Rafa to catch Fed he'd have to play alot of 250s, just for that purpose. Fed actually has a lot of 250 titles, that is part of his huge number. In MTF lingo, this is called "vulturing." YOu wouldn't want Rafa to be a vulture, would you?
But he will come close on the titles. Fed is still 2nd to Connors and no-one argues Copnnors is better due to # of titles.

Rafa does not have to catch every single Fed record. he's already passed a big one, 1000s, and it's going to stand (unless djok catches Rafa, but I don't think so) and of course, the all important H2H. So many of Fed's records are due to 2004-2007 lack of competition--otherwise known as weak era ( a term that gets thrown around so recklessly now, to minimize the meaning of a true weakera at the top, no rival for Fed then) If Rafa finishes YE #1 again, that record too. I think he can catch the slam count.

When it's all played out, I think Rafa will have caught so many of Fed's records only liars will still call Fed GOAT--and that will be most of the tennis media and his most Federista fans. Rafa fans will just have to live with this injustice, as we have lived with it all along.
This made me chuckle a lot.

Glad to see the H2H is being wheeled out again after nary a mention for the last 12 months or so...

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Nadal’s weakest surface is indoors even though he has won on that ‘surface’. He has never won the end of year masters title and may never do so. However he has good chances of winning another Australian title. If he does that he would be the only player alongside with Rod Laver in the professional era to win each grand slam title at least twice.

If he does that but does not win any other grand slam title and if his total number of titles would be inferior to Federer’s at the end of their runs, l would say that Nadal would have achieved as much as Federer in his career.
For Rafa Nadal at this stage, it is far more important to win a second Australian Open than to win a total of 100 titles. I am sure even himself does not believe he will win more titles than Roger Federer when both mens' careers are over.

·
Registered
12,632 Posts
With 3 clay masters each year in his favour for years and years, and having started his career earlier than Roger did his, he's still only 3 titles ahead at the same age? Hmmm

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Federer's total career titles is easily attainable record for Nadal. Difference is mostly in ATP 250 titles which Federer has 25 to Nadal's 9. What's unattainable for Nadal is any decent number of WTF titles.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts

Thats my point when i said a few months back. Rafa will get to a point in his career that Slams wont be easy and he will skip a few.

If he gets one more AO then he skips early part of season and goes to South America where there are 3-4 clay tournements like he did in 2013?

My guess is this.

Rafa breaks Feds record at 21 and cant win another for a year ( doesnt matter who wins besides Nole). So he wins a few more masters but even these are getting harder and he slips in the rankings so its all 500 and 250s and there he still better then the rest on the clay ones.
So 100 titles isnt out of reach and depending on how many Fed finishes he could go for that one.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts