Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I saw that Lleyton had taken a wildcard, I assumed he was somewhere close to fitness.. that assumption was wrong. He hobbled his way to defeat in a match that was always on Blaz's racket. Hopefully Lleyton can heal up more before next week, but I won't be holding my breath.

Good win for Kavcic, he looked confident and comfortable.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Blaz was just happy to get out of Uzbekistan, good odds for him though.

·
Registered
59,351 Posts
Kavcic played the best I'd ever seen him play, though Hewitt was far from his best

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Blaz played a good match and has really improved in a few key areas on HC, specifically his serve. Got it in the mid 120's at times. He really dictated the proceeding throughout and hit some big forehands and tracked down a lot of balls when on the defensive.

Lleyton was just rusty (and not talking about the nickname), inconsistent, really struggled to create his own offense, and simply not good enough physically or with his game. With his body still in poor shape, his advancing age and the fact the game continues to pass him by, it's looking less and less likely he's going to be able to make a legitimate comeback.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
He should just retire. This guy is what Wozniacki will be at 30 years old. Pusher with no footwork, forehand or serve = fail.

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
retire please :eek:

·
Banned
3,761 Posts
only one of these 2 guys will ever have won a slam, MS, WTF and achieved world #1. The other guys is a nobody.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hewitt isn't a pusher. But he's one of those players for whom fitness is everything... unless he's 100% and has logged a lot of match hours, he's not much chop. That's always been the way, even when he was younger.

Match fit and with 3 months hard touring under his belt, he's still got the capacity to upset good players and make the fourth round of Slams. Unfortunately it's highly questionable whether those preconditions are a even a physical possibility any more.

Would expect him to be gone after London 2012, really. Perhaps at the end of next year's DC.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Credit to Blaz for taking advantage of the draw and especially with all the travelling he did... still had a job to do and he did it well.

Hewitt hasn't been fit since February, the Olympics will be the place he hangs it up.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
hewitt doing the best he can.

he just cant seem to catch a break. has been set back with numerous injuries.

still one has to admire his courage. he is out there trying to get something going.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Lleyton decided he'd rather not embarrass himself in New York.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Lleyton must be sadistic to keep trying to come back

probably still has good contracts

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
Oh my god, BLAŽ! :spit: :banana: :woohoo:
:cheerleader:

Yes, he said he was surprised how well he played considering he barely came from freaking Uzbekistan! Flight to Latvia, then to USA, then to this place...just insane :crazy:
50 hours of travelling he said.

Giraldo next!

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
From ATPtour.com

"Hours after completing his two-day journey to North Carolina, Slovenian Blaz Kavcic closed out a 6-4, 7-6(3) win over former World No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt, coming back from a 1-4 deficit in the second set to defeat the 2001 US Open champion.

Kavcic had travelled a total of 50 hours from Karshi, Uzbekistan, where he lost to Denis Istomin in the ATP Challenger Tour final, to Winston-Salem. He landed at the Charlotte airport at 2:02am Monday, arrived at his hotel at 4am and slept into the afternoon, waking up at 3pm."

That's like after one epic party or something :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts