Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Revenge in a week. It was 2-6 6-7(5) in Cincy.
Or Kolya conserves his strength for the USO?

Anyway, good job, Sergiy!

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Pretty simple match. Stakhovsky served well, Davydenko doesn't have a good serve, and Stakhovsky was simply the more solid player. I've pretty much given up on seeing Davydenko be more than a 30-60 player, so these results aren't a surprise. The Ukranian looked very focused, probably because he's defending title points.

Good win in the end for him.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
The golden law of Stakhovsky is put into effect now. Once he reaches a qf, he goes into god mode and wins the tournament.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I stand corrected. He's got a tough one next round, but they are both killing each other at the moment so maybe he can get into the sf against dolgo.

·
Banned
3,761 Posts
R.I.P
Nikolay Davydenko​

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Davydenko is done. Pretty sad, when he retires no one will care or remember.

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
I had forgotten what an awful poster you are, thanks for reminding me. :hatoff:

Also, I'm pretty sure some people will at least remember this match:

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Denko. :sad: Time's up, buddy.

Yeah, that's what happens if you suffer from severe dementia. :hatoff: :stupid:

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
I had forgotten what an awful poster you are, thanks for reminding me. :hatoff:

Also, I'm pretty sure some people will at least remember this match:

A reasonable case can be made that at this time, Davydenko was the best player on the planet. His previous 6 months were really impressive:

Won WTF, beating Del Potro (US Open champ), Fed, Sod, Nadal.
Won Shanghai masters, beating Nadal and Djokovic
Won KL (ok a 250, but he still beat Monf, Sod, Verdasco in the process)

Before that he won Hamburg and Umag, but played too much and injured himself, had to retire at the US Open.

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
A reasonable case can be made that at this time, Davydenko was the best player on the planet. His previous 6 months were really impressive:

Won WTF, beating Del Potro (US Open champ), Fed, Sod, Nadal.
Won Shanghai masters, beating Nadal and Djokovic
Won KL (ok a 250, but he still beat Monf, Sod, Verdasco in the process)

Before that he won Hamburg and Umag, but played too much and injured himself, had to retire at the AO.
I agree with you, he was in awesome form. And I thought he would tear Federer apart after he won that first set in Melbourne. What an opportunity he had in that slam... :sad:

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Yeah, he had Fed, should have finished the job.

Previous round was too much, 5 sets with Verdasco. Always with Davydenko that was the problem at slams, one long match and the clock is ticking on his gas tank for the tournament.

Tsonga after that, Murray in the final. Still a tough ask, but who knows what he might have managed having beaten Fed for the first time, and in such a big match.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Yeah, he had Fed, should have finished the job.

Previous round was too much, 5 sets with Verdasco. Always with Davydenko that was the problem at slams, one long match and the clock is ticking on his gas tank for the tournament.

Tsonga after that, Murray in the final. Still a tough ask, but who knows what he might have managed having beaten Fed for the first time, and in such a big match.
It wouldn't have been for the 1st time, he's beaten him the two last times they met before AO 2010 (namely WTF 09, Doha 10) ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts