Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
17 Consecutive Years!

This is what poor Nole is up against when they play anywhere in the world.
Is it unfair?
One wonders how they would perform on equal footing, isolated from the crowd.

Thoughtfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
11 Posts
Newcomer of the Year
(voted by ATP players)
Jannik Sinner: One year after watching the Next Gen ATP Finals as a spectator, the 18-year-old Italian clinched the title in Milan. He climbed from No. 553 at the start of the season to a year-end No. 78, becoming the youngest player to finish in the Top 80 since 17-year-old Nadal in 2003. Sinner made a winning ATP Tour debut at the Hungarian Open in April. The following month, he saved one match point to win on his Masters 1000 debut at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome (d. Johnson). Sinner became the youngest ATP Tour semi-finalist in five years with his run at the European Open, and afterward broke into the Top 100. He also became the second youngest player to win three ATP Challenger Tour titles in a season, behind Richard Gasquet in 2003.

Sinner showed a very high level in the Next Gen Finals final. Hope he can keep it up and break into the top20 next year!

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Rafa would've been a much better fit for the humanitarian award (latest example, supporting RBA in DC) rather than the sportsmanship award but whatever.

Sportsmanship award:
There are a few reasons why Rafa isn't the best choice for the sportsmanship award or why someone else would deserve it more but giving a slightly bitter handshake to Thug isn't one of them.

·
justice for all
18,859 Posts
Sensible winners for most of the categories.

Thiem should already be a multiple winner of the sportsmanship award, if it was actually merit-based that is.
I agree but I’d rather he were a multiply slam winner. Who cares for this stuff anyway?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
One of the 2 slams winner left without any award of the year is all you need to know about the relevance of this. I wonder if ATP objectively is taking a shot at him because they cheer for their precious Moneyrer?

I also wonder if ATP is instructing players to vote for Fed or they are simply faking the "Players' favorite award", since it seems so forced and fake, like a badly executed propaganda.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Great season for Roger: Halle, Basel and ATP PopCon!!! ???

Congrats to his fans! ?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
"Guys do you think it's looks like we're being too biased by giving Federer this sportsmanship award for the last 17 years"
"Yeah, we wouldn't want to be seen as favouring the top players"
"Rafa then, yeah?"
"Agreed."

·
Premium Member
12,345 Posts
Medvedev's coach is underrated, I wouldn't have even considered that one...

What about Carlos Moya?

Reactions: MWW

·
Premium Member
29,587 Posts
Of course the Immortal One got comeback player award, as it should be.

also, Matteo isn't a terrible choice for Most improved player of the year, but I would have gone with Medvedev.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts