Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wingsuit flying is possibly most extreme sport of all. Wingsuit has large surface and enables a skydiver (or BASE-jumper) to generate large lift and glide (angles of 20-25 degrees). This is as close to being Superman as it gets!

What is more, wingsuit flyers usually jump from high rocky peaks and try to fly as close to rock walls (or to the ground) as possible (proximity flying). When flying 200-250 kph a few meters from rocks any turbulence/mistake could change you into a mincemeat! In fact, many of the fliers from YT films are dead already.

I love watching those YT films with Supermans flying in beautiful mountains (mostly in high Alps: steep + huge vertical relief + good infrastructure). I've been in many of these Alpine places (not flying just hiking ;)) and saw some flyers as well. It's incredible how fast they are. For example I noticed that they flied over Bossons Glacier (Mont Blanc Massif) in less then a minute while I needed 3 hours of hike along the glacier! Here is an exemplary movie:

Some of their heroics are basically as close to suisidal as it gets. For example at 2:00 of the above movie a guy flies through a 2-meter hole in rocks at over 200 kph (the guy is dead already). Full footage of this is below
).

Another example: one of best flyers (Valery Rozov) jumps from Jungfrau mountain in Bernese Alps (Switzerland) into a fabulous Lauterbrunnen Valley. This is the biggest BASE-jump fly (almost 3 minutes of flight and 3300 meters of elevation drop!).

There are many more on YT. Enjoy flights and scenery!

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Many wingsuiters and basejumpers died during their jumps.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
It must be beautiful to fly with this in the open space. However, proximity flying is definition of retardation. Imagine losing a family member or a friend because of their addiction to adrenaline and vanity. Insane asylum material.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I had the guts to do what these guys do. I just fear a malfunction and boom, it's over.
In order to try proximity flying one has to be a very experienced base-jumper (extreme sport on its own) but this is as close to human flight as it gets. It's like dreams of flying come true. Yeah, sometimes I also dream of flying and think about trying this but it's way too much for me. Great videos are enough!

Many wingsuiters and basejumpers died during their jumps.
Guys from movie #2 and #3 (Uli Emmanuele and Valery Rozov) are dead already. The latter had a very long and successful BASE-jumping career (far exceeding life expectancy in this sport).

·
The special one
14,022 Posts
Yeah this looks insane. I would never have the balls to try something like this, would be some amazing thrill.

Actually every time I see something like this it reminds me of one of my favourite ever comedy moments. It's not exactly the same thing to this, just using it as an excuse to show this clip. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts