Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been watching Wimbledon's "Greatest Championships" (or the BBC's Rewind, if you're in the UK)? Enjoying the trip down memory lane? Any thoughts? A few of mine, totally at random:

Wish the BBC weren't limiting themselves to finals: there were an equal number of classic matches pre-finals.

I'm looking forward to watching a very young Tim Henman playing Kafelnikov, for a start. Will be nice to see some real grass-court tennis again after all these years.

I do think it's a bit mean to highlight Nadal losing to both Brown and Rosol in round 2, though - surely the Rosol match would have been enough?

How good it was to see 5-set grass-court finals lasting only around 3 hours.

Disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any inclusion of Rod Laver despite the original advertising seeming to suggest there would be. I was looking forward to seeing him play on grass for the first time :(

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
2013 was the greatest

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
The Tim Henman Yevgeny Kafelnikov match is on YouTube.

I haven't been watching much of it. I watched some of Goran Ivanisevic against Pat Rafter just to listen to some of John Barrett again. What a pleasure it is to listen to him.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
What's this one, the evening programme? Yeah that's o.k although I'd prefer just as much tennis as possible so find half of it just chatting pretty tedious. Did watch the zoom call with Isner when he was chatting about the Mahut marathon.

Enjoyed watching the classic Goran finals from yesterday.

One thing I forgot to mention about the Federer-Nadal final from 2008, interesting watching the last set and how much of centre court was rooting for Nadal to win so hasn't always been partisan support for Fed in Wimbledon finals.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
This seems like WB’s cunning way thru BBC of compensating for 2020 cancellation but at least it beats that silly MTF WB draw game hands down. The WB documentaries is also a nostalgic way to go back to the earlier era WB history. Reliving the highlights of Novak’s first WB title in 2011 vs Nadal was quite invigorating. Neck & neck in the first set until he worked out his nerves to take first set 6-4. Then raced to a 3-0 lead in second set before Nadal came storming back in the third set to make it 2-1 sets but holding the Mallorcan off in the fourth to raise first WB trophy. This was the moment Novak believed he belonged w/ the big 2 after defeating the defending champion of WB outside HC in heroic but confident fashion knowing that he too could defeat the Swiss king of Grass eventually when they were to meet multiple times. So big props to Nadal for forcing Novak to raise his level to perhaps the first time of reaching the big 3 status.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Enjoyed watching Pat Cash-Lendl final yesterday. Lendl hit some awful volleys in the final set. Pat dashing up the steps never gets old.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Ive been watching, really enjoyed the Ivanisavic-Rafter match great drama, also loved the Evert-Navratilova match surely the greatest rivalry in the womens game.

I was shocked to see in the Cash-Lendl match the lack of variety or willingness to try something else on Lendl's part, yes volleying on grass back then was advantageous, but Lendl never was a strong volleyer, shouldve mixed it up a bit IMO. Shame he never won Wimbledon but he had himself to blame.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few more random observations:

Just so good to see some proper grass-court tennis again after all this time.

The time allowed between points used to be 30 seconds! Wonder when they changed it, and whether it was common to all the Slams, or whether WB was doing its own thing.

I'd forgotten just how short the men's shorts used to be - although I see someone, was it Agassi?, was wearing cycling shorts underneath. Wonder if that had anything to do with women drooling more over male tennis players when I was young? :)

It's quite fun, as the years chop and change quite dramatically, to spot changes in presentation and practice. I hadn't realised how recent the introduction of permanent on-screen scores was, for a start, until I kept losing track of the score in some of the earlier matches. Somewhat embarrassing, these days, to hear the commentator referring to the women players as "girls", though ...

Glad, finally, to see something of Rafter vs. Ivanisevic: because it was on a Monday, I was at work and missed it :( Very good match. Really enjoyed Graf vs. Sanchez-Vicario, too.

This week, we get THE Borg-McEnroe final. Can't wait!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And I see the Greatest Championships is featuring the 2001 Sampras vs. Federer match in the Fourth Round. I shall be really interested to see that one, because I don't think I watched it at the time, or not much of it. Little did we know back then just how significant it was going to be in the years following ...

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
And I see the Greatest Championships is featuring the 2001 Sampras vs. Federer match in the Fourth Round. I shall be really interested to see that one, because I don't think I watched it at the time, or not much of it. Little did we know back then just how significant it was going to be in the years following ...
2001 Wimbledon had some brilliant matches. Remember Sampras nearly didn't make it that far given Cowan took him to 5 sets in round 2 (although he wasn't really in danger of losing in the 5th). Surprised they haven't put that full match online. Can also remember Taylor Dent giving Hewitt a good battle.

Inevitably we'll get Henman-Ivanesevic in full. That really was one for the ages.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It was nice to see that Guy Forget was wearing a cravat during his 1992 Wimbledon match with Jeremy Bates:

He also ate croissants with brie and drank chablis during the changeovers, just to perpetuate cultural stereotypes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts