Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe he was exaggerating it. But he was emphasizing that Wimbledon was slowed down that it doesn't have that much difference in terms of speed. He said that the courts were homegenized that almost all surfaces are the same in terms of speed. He said that the only difference is the players' movement on the court so that they can adjust on the surface. He was saying that players' movement adjustment on the court makes the difference. It's not the speed per se that makes the player to gain or lose advantage. While watching the Rosol-Nadal 2nd round match this is what I heard from him while commentating.

Anyone here heard/saw this too?

Do you agree with him or is he on crack (per MTF) again?

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Re: Wimbledon slow as clay. McEnroe confirmed it.

He was sozzled. I mean I couldn't believe some things he was saying, calling executioner from Game of Thrones, wtf?

It's still faster than clay.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

He was sozzled. I mean I couldn't believe some thing he was saying, calling some executioner from Game of Thrones, wtf?

It's still faster than clay.
It's not faster than Roland Garros when it's dry and sunny but it's still faster than Umag and Bastad.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts

Maybe he was exaggerating it. But he was emphasizing that Wimbledon was slowed down that it doesn't have that much difference in terms of speed. He said that the courts were homegenized that almost all surfaces are the same in terms of speed. He said that the only difference is the players' movement on the court. While watching the Rosol-Nadal 2nd round match this is what I heard from him while commentating.

Anyone here heard/saw this too?

Do you agree with him or is he on crack (per MTF) again?
That's not what he said. He did talk about homogenizing the courts to some degree but not as you put it.

It's archived on ESPN if you want to check it out.

·
Bunned!
3,050 Posts

I'm sure Fedtards will bow at McEnroe's feet on this one. From pariah to savior.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

how was it slow AT ALL in the Rosol vs. Nadal match?

it's so slow that Rosol can manage to hit his serve insanely fast and slap winners all over the place. trust me, the bounce and speed on clay does not allow you to do that

you all are crazyyyyy

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

J-Mac was rambling as usual. I wish they would take him off the air, but they can't force a legend out of the booth.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

That's not what he said. He did talk about homogenizing the courts to some degree but not as you put it.

It's archived on ESPN if you want to check it out.
I watched the match on ESPN3 online. Did your hear when he said that it's the movement adjustment on the surface that makes the difference? He specifically said that the grass was slowed down that it's like clay. I know he's only making a point their about homogenization but said that specific line.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts

I watched the match on ESPN3 online. Did your hear when he said that it's the movement adjustment on the surface that makes the difference? He specifically said that the grass was slowed down that it's like clay. I know he's only making a point their about homogenization but said that specific line.
I saw it there too and I know exactly what he was getting at. He didn't say simply that it was like playing on clay.

I will see about transcribing it later on.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts

Well! it has lower bounce than clay for sure. At ESPN they keep showing this chart with different bounces, and the Wimbledon has the lowest bounce, and clay has the highest. It may be slow speed wise, but the bounce is still different than clay. So it's not clay.

·
Banned
2,797 Posts

"If I were 10 centimeters taller I could smoke a cigar while playing here" - Fognini.

Yup, slow as hell.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts

From the results we've had so far, I'd have to say it looks different. Not really the same thing as four weeks ago.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

It's pretty slow people. Get used to it. This is not Sampras' Grass. It's probably not even real grass. I wouldn't be surprised if it is fake grass on clay and they sprayed it green like they do in Brazil so those soccer fields look pristine.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Wimbledon slow as clay. McEnroe confirmed it.

McEnroe said no such thing. Ban OP please. There's a difference between trolling and lying.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

McEnroe said no such thing. Ban OP please. Difference between trolling and lying.
How would you know? The old drunk senile has said almost everything from every angle. :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts