Mens Tennis Forums banner
621 - 637 of 637 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yeah, gotta say, my sympathy for Isner and Anderson is pretty limited. If the pairings had been switched, Isner vs. Novak/Rafa & Anderson vs. the other, does anybody think the fifth would have gone to 26-24? Of course not, because unlike Anderson & Isner, Rafa and Novak actually have a return of serve.
The beauty of our sport is that we have so many different styles of player. I'm not going to put down Isner and Anderson just because they have massive strengths and then massive holes in their game. That's just the way it is. We've seen guys with better return games go long into the 5th as well. Djokovic has won a AO match 12-10. Nadal has lost with a similar score to Muller. Fed has gone very long vs Del Po and vs Anderson in this tournament.

It's unlikely that Djokovic and Nadal would have gone long for sure. But I still think it's stupid to not cut down the length of the final set because you'll often get to a stalemate between two similarly matched players.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
One of my favorite matches ever, and of huge importance in the Big Three Slam race. Djokovic coming out of a two-year slump EXACTLY in time to stop Nadal from winning a third Wimbledon and getting to within 2 slams of Federer’s 20. Instead Djokovic would win 8 of the next 12 Slams, including this one.

Nadal was so close with 3SP in the tiebreak (one on serve), and 5 BPs deep in the 5th set. Basically virtual MPs. Nadal was inches away from entering a secure path to GOAThood. (Obviously Nadal would have pummeled Anderson in the final).

As things stand now, a very, very important match indeed and it could easily have gone to Nadal. If Nadal ends up winning the Slam race anyway, its importance will face a bit.

Full match below (third set tiebreak starts at 2:32.15. Nadal has a series of critical 5th set BPs at 4:26.10 (4 all), and 4:52.40 (7 all).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The match that is my top-1 in terms of my personal stress and nervousness during it.
I felt and still feel it was the match where Djokovic basically saved tennis from Dull's GOAThood.

This and RG 2021 semi-final were both the same for me. Both matches could have gone either way and both matches would have left Nadal as very likely the GOAT.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Djokovic was far from his best here. He was still on the comeback but it was inarguably one of the most important matches of his career. It gave him the belief and confidence that he can win slams again and prevented Nadal from getting a really important win. It could’ve been 21-20-19 now without this win and who knows if Novak would’ve won everything that he won afterwards without it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This and RG 2021 semi-final were both the same for me. Both matches could have gone either way and both matches would have left Nadal as very likely the GOAT.
After his bad start Djokovic was the better player at Roland Garros this year. Wimbledon 2018 was something different. Rafa was the better player from the second set on and I think he should have won the match.

·
Registered
158 Posts
One of my favorite matches ever, and of huge importance in the Big Three Slam race. Djokovic coming out of a two-year slump EXACTLY in time to stop Nadal from winning a third Wimbledon and getting to within 2 slams of Federer’s 20. Instead Djokovic would win 8 of the next 12 Slams, including this one.

Nadal was so close with 3SP in the tiebreak (one on serve), and 5 BPs deep in the 5th set. Basically virtual MPs. Nadal was inches away from entering a secure path to GOAThood. (Obviously Nadal would have pummeled Anderson in the final).

As things stand now, a very, very important match indeed and it could easily have gone to Nadal. If Nadal ends up winning the Slam race anyway, its importance will face a bit.

Full match below (third set tiebreak starts at 2:32.15. Nadal has a series of critical 5th set BPs at 4:26.10 (4 all), and 4:52.40 (7 all).

Possibly the greatest match of all time. The last 3 sets were enthralling and such consistently high quality.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The match that is my top-1 in terms of my personal stress and nervousness during it.
I felt and still feel it was the match where Djokovic basically saved tennis from Dull's GOAThood.
I had a similar feeling. I was in London and caught the first set and a half on Friday night from the Hill before I had to go back into the city for a party. Watched the rest from my Airbnb flat with BBC coverage the next day. Was very difficult to watch!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
After his bad start Djokovic was the better player at Roland Garros this year. Wimbledon 2018 was something different. Rafa was the better player from the second set on and I think he should have won the match.
Yes but if Nadal wins set three at RG21 with one of the break/set points he had and he wins the match and the tournament.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
Yes. No1e will improve so much by the time HC begins. :smile2:
I’m speechless. Absolute MTF legend bingo on the mark.

Meanwhile, as for the match, yes it went down to the wire but u have to remember Novak was still playing himself back to form & virtually had no use of esp. his BHDTL shotmaking.

If anything, his superior footwork (on Grass) & ROS r what pulled him through.

621 - 637 of 637 Posts