Mens Tennis Forums banner
581 - 600 of 637 Posts

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Let's not look past Anderson of course

What if Kevin bounces back and beats Nole like he almost did in 2015? Then what? Then we have to re-write the history!

He won't be able to compete at 100%.Trust me on that man.

I've already made bets on Djokovic at 3-0 in sets and juuuusssst to make sure I've 'back betted' 3-1 as well.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
I'm not sure why this is relevant. It doesn't reflect poorly on Djokovic that he won because he is better indoor and on grass.

well each match is different:

in this case, Rafa had him on the ropes 3 times.

so in this case Djokovic won because he is a great player but we all know that. and because the clay warrior choked away the match.

you don't get too many chances against great players so you have to take them when they come.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Re: Wimbledon SF (suspended) Djokovic leads Nadal 6-4 3-6 7-6(9)

Both players are almost always over the 20 second time limit and that is for most of the match. They are usually somewhere around 25 seconds at the time they start their service motion.
There isn't a 20-second time limit any more: it's been standardised at 25 seconds. Hooray.

Congrats to both players: they fought like the warriors they are, and gave us a really great battle. And yes, it really *was* a shame that either had to lose - that's been said by the players about both SFs now, so no more criticising Federer for saying it was a shame he and Rafa couldn't have drawn AO17!

·
Registered
136 Posts
well each match is different:

in this case, Rafa had him on the ropes 3 times.

so in this case Djokovic won because he is a great player but we all know that. and because the clay warrior choked away the match.

you don't get too many chances against great players so you have to take them when they come.
Djokovic had more break points chances in this match than Nadal, especially in the first four sets. This was no "choke."

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
What a match obviously. For me the key to the match was Djokovic, just locking down his serve at after losing set 2 and 4 after getting bullied on the baseline, which was the only way he could have won either of these sets. He was the slightly more clutch player in the 4th set tie-break, and I think he had slightly more left in the tank than Nadal but these guys are so fit I didn't really even notice until around 6-6.

I think Nadal played about as well as he could have today, and for me, slightly outplayed Djokovic for the match, and would have beaten anybody else in the field including Federer.

Djokovic is indeed back, and I feel like if he can ramp up his baseline aggression a little bit, can overtake Nadal as the world's best player but I feel like Nadal has the edge because of this on the slow hard courts in New York, as even if he has a serving day like today, it won't be as effective, so still work to be done for him, and I hope they play again soon.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think Nadal played about as well as he could have today, and for me, slightly outplayed Djokovic for the match, and would have beaten anybody else in the field including Federer.
Not sure about this....I think this match flatterd to deceive due to the nature of the matchup. The lesser-mobile Del Potro only just lost to Nadal, and he was playing behind himself on many shots. A more polished grass mover, with a better serve, more mobility...but maintaining the ability to flatten it out....get to net etc would have a very different feel. I don't think Fed was at his best this tournie, but he certainly would have been right there with either of these guys at their current level....such is his ability to take time away, defend serve and effectively return on grass.

·
12,691 Posts
While I'm happy he beat Rafa in Wimbledon, he only managed to show vintage-Djokovic form for a set and half and he was obviously unplayable for such short period. I wonder if it's still possible to sustain such level for longer period for him? Nadal on the other hand can sustain high level for a whole match. It's probably tougher for Djokovic to sustain high intensity in the rallies now that he is older.

Rafa has nothing to regret imo. He gave his all and what decided the match is just one point or two. Could have easily gone his way but that's tennis. Sometimes it's not meant to be your day.

·
Your visions will happen
54,705 Posts
He won't be able to compete at 100%.Trust me on that man.

I've already made bets on Djokovic at 3-0 in sets and juuuusssst to make sure I've 'back betted' 3-1 as well.
Obviously Djokovic is a massive favorite but we have seen favorites lose in sport many many times

·
Registered
136 Posts
Djokovic was at about 30% on break points won. Nadal 60-something %. Not to mention the sheer amount of 0-30 chances Novak wasted on Nadal's service games. The only person who choked in this match was Djokovic and that's why the third set was so tight. Had djokovic not choked so much and had more recent experience/match play under his belt, he would have dismissed Nadal much earlier.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
What a nonsensical comment. Have you actually seen the match? Nadal has the best stats with regards to BP pretty much vs any opponent all the time. Does not mean the opponent chokes. Nadal plays with unreal intensity when facing BP. Just ask Federer.
Those dodgy deuce games defined Nadal, average players never get through those deuce games which they should have broken.

He comes up with ace, unreturned serve and super aggressive in rallies when down a break point.

Everyone should adjust during breakpoints to smack the ball aggressive against Nadal right from the first shot. Pointless to waste energy playing neutral rallies.

·
Banned
22,779 Posts
They still haven't seperated the threads.

What a failure

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
The lesser-mobile Del Potro only just lost to Nadal
The less mobile Del Potro also has a serve/FH combo that completely takes the game out of Nadal's hands as has been the case with past losses on grass for him. Djokovic doesn't have that ability, and Federer's execution this tournament was very questionable once pressured. I think it's fair to say it took the mentally unshakeable Novak of old reappearing to stop Nadal winning this tournament.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
There are easier things to do: you could expect that when 2 big servers are meeting, the match can be very long, so it should be scheduled 2-3 hours earlier, it would be enough for the second semifinal to be ended yesterday. The second thing is to shorten the 5th set, so the unnecessary things like that won't happen in the future again.
If this were any other pais maybe. When you add Isner you have to take into account Isner Mahut.
Things were weird from the get go. And Federer always playing on CC is one of those things.
Rafa doesnt deserve to play CC asn much, be he is nº1 and seed nº2.

If you want to be fair to both SF you either played them same time or else its AO standards.

Again im not bitter he lost. But several conditions werent fair to him. But he did take the high ground. Something Fanbases here cant even grasp.

People say Nole is back, he did need 5 sets to beat Rafa specially in Rafa worst surfacein years.

Plus i bet on Nole to win.

For the Final i think Nole wins in 4.

·
Banned
22,779 Posts
Djokovic was at about 30% on break points won. Nadal 60-something %. Not to mention the sheer amount of 0-30 chances Novak wasted on Nadal's service games. The only person who choked in this match was Djokovic and that's why the third set was so tight. Had djokovic not choked so much and had more recent experience/match play under his belt, he would have dismissed Nadal much earlier.

Djokovic made one UE on the combined 18(?) BP's.

And did he even have BP in the 3rd set? If so, due to Rafa's errors.

Give credit to the GOAT BP saver you mug. Get smart.

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,267 Posts
Rafa has nothing to regret imo. He gave his all and what decided the match is just one point or two. Could have easily gone his way but that's tennis. Sometimes it's not meant to be your day.
He should have, because it was more than just 1-2 points.
It was the tragically dumb "instinctively" net approach at 7*-7 40-A to be passed, then those 2 weaker serves that induced great returns in the final game.
Then there was the last point as well, where he hit a FH UE wide.
That's at least 4 points he could have played different and not just by "instinct".

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Awww, poor Rafito, he can't catch a breeeeak... Waaah!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Both players had the exact same conditions the whole match.

Yeah, it's the roof. I'm sure the fact that across the net was a player who is 20-9 against Rafa this decade had nothing to do with this loss.

Oh, and blaming ATP??? That shows how much you know about tennis. ATP has nothing to do with the Grand Slams.
Djokovic won the match for couple of balls 10-8 in a fifth set. Djokovic disagreed to open the roof, in a match that first and foremost should never have started indoors because it was not raining... if you were unbiased you would agree with me, but you are nothing else than a hater.

The match was stolen to Nadal, and it is a fact that will be remembered for years to come.

·
Registered
878 Posts
For me, this (both parts 1 and 2) was one of the best matches I have ever watched. Thoroughly enjoyed the so many mini swings in momentum. This is what tennis should look like at the highest level.

581 - 600 of 637 Posts