Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year Wimbledon organizers faced a wave of criticism for "sexist" scheduling from (former) female players (and Murray) as well as journalists because they last year they scheduled 14 men's matches and 7 women's matches on CC during the first week, relegating matches like Kerber-Muguruza to a side court.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2017/07/11/tennis-debate-must-wimbledon-change-sexist-scheduling/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/13/of-all-the-dumb-traditions-of-wimbledon-its-sexism-is-the-worst

Andy Murray: "I don't think anyone's suggesting [the scheduling] is fair. I'm not suggesting that it is,” he said after his straight sets win over Benoit Paire on Centre Court. “We need to find a way of allowing for an equal split of the men's and women's matches across the tournament rather than just looking at one day.

“If there's better matches on the women's side than the men's side, you can flip it. If there's better matches on the men's side, then that has to go first, as well."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/wimbledon-2017-sexist-scheduling-row-manic-monday-angelique-kerber-jelena-ostapenko-caroline-a7834346.html

Now what happened this year after all those complaints on CC + C1:

Day 1: 3 ATP matches (2 on CC) + 4 WTA matches
Day 2: 3 ATP matches (1 on CC) + 4 WTA matches
Day 3: 2 ATP matches + 4 WTA matches

The trend to overrepresent ATP matches on the big show courts has been clearly reversed so far. Of course the tournament is not done yet, but as of now it looks like shifting away from the old scheduling rules.

What caused the change?
Did WTA get more attractive than ATP to deserve better scheduling? Do they have more stars now with the ATP still drawing on the star power of Fedalovic mainly?

What's the view of CC ticket holders who got to watch a short ATP match yesterday and 3 (!) WTA matches. (Afaik the last match wasn't scheduled originally, but was shown there because the other matches were all blow-outs.)

Or do they simply want to avoid criticism like last year?

·
Registered
904 Posts
oh yeah, then why not reserve the cc for all women matches? Let rating and revenue drop as well because such bullshit policies deserve it.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
meh...who cares, it's not like there are any interesting matches involving noted names today...there will be more men's matches on show courts on day4 as there are lot more big names and Brits on that half of the draw. If Murray was playing, then it probably would have been the same as previous years. Moreover, having more WTA matches now is atleast going to help in preserving the grass for further stages.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moreover, having more WTA matches now is atleast going to help in preserving the grass for further stages.
Not really, if they just schedule an additional WTA match on that court like they did yesterday.

·
23,063 Posts
It's always going to attract controversy if the court only allows up to 3 matches per day, although I think a good compromise is:

Day 1 - Round 1, Half A, 2 WTA/1 ATP
Day 2 - Round 1, Half B, 1 WTA/2 ATP
Day 3 - Round 2, Half A, 1 WTA/2 ATP
Day 4 - Round 2, Half B, 2 WTA/ 1 ATP

and so on.

Seeing the names though, I think many would want to see a former World #1 WTA battle and Serena at CC at least once than Raonic, Anderson, maybe even Querrey-Stakhovsky. As much as the WTA are unpredictable, the decline of the traditional ATP supporting cast while WTA is gaining more sees makes this possible.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just do not get it when women have 3 matches while there's only 2 men's matches on their main courts in USO and AO and yet they complained about the inequity at Wimbledon with just 2 men and 1 women at their main courts last year. I just wish that Wimbledon stood their ground on who they want to put in matches, not letting the world dictate any organization on any subjects.

If I am a ticket holder for that day, I would expect 2 men matches for that price I paid for it and would be disappointed with the organization. I know for the fact that Wimbledon tend to have 2 ladies matches on the first Tuesday as it is a tradition at Centre Court. If I am a ticket holder, I would avoid that day as it's my money and go a smaller court for the fix. This is a rude awakening if I bought a ticket and they went out and did it anyways unexpected.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,625 Posts
to me it shouldn't matter too much. You put who you think would get attention on those courts. There's limited space so you try to shuffle things around and keep things balanced. It is true WTA has more 'interesting' names in recent times in contrast to ATP.

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
I just do not get it when women have 3 matches while there's only 2 men's matches on their main courts in USO and AO and yet they complained about the inequity at Wimbledon with just 2 men and 1 women at their main courts last year. I just wish that Wimbledon stood their ground on who they want to put in matches, not letting the world dictate any organization on any subjects.

If I am a ticket holder for that day, I would expect 2 men matches for that price I paid for it and would be disappointed with the organization. I know for the fact that Wimbledon tend to have 2 ladies matches on the first Tuesday as it is a tradition at Centre Court. If I am a ticket holder, I would avoid that day as it's my money and go a smaller court for the fix. This is a rude awakening if I bought a ticket and they went out and did it anyways unexpected.

I'll be nice and save my "roll eyes" smiley but I'll say this:
I will never understand the concept of only wanting to see men's matches and being disappointed when one "has to see" women's matches. If you don't want to see WTA matches, then maybe you shouldn't buy expensive tickets for Slams at all and instead buy ground tickets where you can choose the matches or only visit ATP tournaments.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
wtf is Mladenovic vs. Maria doing on CC? :haha:
To be fair, I think that's just because their original court is/was blocked (no idea where they were scheduled previously) and Fed/Serena finished their matches as quickly as they did. Otherwise it would have been laughable indeed.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Just wait until Federer, Serena, Nadal and Djokovic retire to see tennis revenue plummet and these idiots will reverse their policy.

Men's game is more attractive because men hit stronger; run faster, longer; jump higher and have better reflexes. But SJW idiots cannot fathom that.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I will never understand the concept of only wanting to see men's matches and being disappointed when one "has to see" women's matches. If you don't want to see WTA matches, then maybe you shouldn't buy expensive tickets for Slams at all and instead buy ground tickets where you can choose the matches or only visit ATP tournaments.
This, real tennis fans don't buy centre court or court 1 tickets for the first week anyway. Why would anyone want to see the top players role over 'journeyman', the best matches are usually those on the outside courts.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It is just an individual preference. I would still buy tickets to see CC knowing that I get two men's matches as is historically been scheduled for decades and I would not mind watching ladies play but do not expect me to see two ladies matches at CC if it ever happened. They have buckled their own tradition with stupidity like this, caving in without ever announcing on schedule changes us that they would do that in advance. Like I said, it's all about preferences. Ladies tennis is just not my thing, their style of tennis is different from men's.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,625 Posts
This, real tennis fans don't buy centre court or court 1 tickets for the first week anyway. Why would anyone want to see the top players role over 'journeyman', the best matches are usually those on the outside courts.
yes precisely, you get more value from outer court action in general. I can understand one might want to see Roger or Nadal et al. at least once, fine, but otherwise people miss out a lot by focusing directly on CC, given you rarely have the chance to watch live action tennis independent of the couch.

Just wait until Federer, Serena, Nadal and Djokovic retire to see tennis revenue plummet and these idiots will reverse their policy.

Men's game is more attractive because men hit stronger; run faster, longer; jump higher and have better reflexes. But SJW idiots cannot fathom that.
That's a stereotyped projection. Stronger is not necessarily better viewing. Of course each to their own but certainly women can also produce some interesting matches as well. In fact, Halep provided two of the most interesting matches during the AO.

It is just an individual preference. I would still buy tickets to see CC knowing that I get two men's matches as is historically been scheduled for decades and I would not mind watching ladies play but do not expect me to see two ladies matches at CC if it ever happened. They have buckled their own tradition with stupidity like this, caving in without ever announcing on schedule changes us that they would do that in advance. Like I said, it's all about preferences. Ladies tennis is just not my thing, their style of tennis is different from men's.
well would you prefer they put John Isner or Kevin Anderson on one of the main courts instead? That's really their biggest options from the top half other than Roger Federer and Marin Cilic. Note that today, they have gone back to the 2:1 men:women ratio for Court 1 and CC.

·
Got Premium? I do.
4,253 Posts
Sickening that WTA players need just claim sexism to get what they don't deserve. I think giving an undeserving group what they want merely because they are members of that group and not on merits is just as disgusting as actual sexism. Women do not deserve equal pay and equal air time if their viewership and tour income doesn't warrant it. This is a business and should be run like one. Put on CC who is gonna sell the most tickets, duh. I can guarantee Federer would be a bigger draw than any WTA player, and probably all of the WTAs top 20 combined. Lmao

1 - 20 of 37 Posts