Mens Tennis Forums banner

Verdasco or Wawrinka (4)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4th meeting between with Fernando Verdasco holding a 2-1 head to head winning record. However since the start of 06, they have only faced once which was in 2012. First meeting off clay, who do you have here?

Fer or Stan?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Verdasco has played consecutive five-setters, wondering how much left for him.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I want to see wawrinka serve and volley more like he did yesterday. He's been having a lot if trouble rallying, which wasn't the case last year. He seems to want to either go for the difficult shot, or he's insure of which shot is appropriate. He sent a too many easy shots long yesterday so I don't know what was going on. But he was very very successful with the serve and volley. That should help later down the line I think.

If he manages to secure a couple break points on verdasco through serve and volley, then I would suggest trying to rally more after that for practice and he can attempt the difficult shot from the baseline.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
4th meeting between with Fernando Verdasco holding a 2-1 head to head winning record. However since the start of 06, they have only faced once which was in 2012. First meeting off clay, who do you have here?

Fer or Stan?
Godwrinka in 3 easy sets Dashco has no weapons to trouble him...

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
If Verdasco is decent, this will be a close match. But his recent results and performances don't exactly scream decent.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Goodness knows what Verdasco is going to turn up here, if recent matches are to go by then there'll be several different ones throughout the match.

I don't know about anyone else but does anyone get the feeling Wawrinka has been quite flat in the tournament? Sure he's won both matches in straight sets but maybe suffering a bit of a comedown after Roland Garros?

I'd still heavily favour him to win here but I think Verdasco could cause him trouble.

·
29,645 Posts
Wawrinka in 4, but if Verdasco gets hot it could be tough because grass doesn't allow Stan as much time to fight fire with fire.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Wawrinka in 4, but if Verdasco gets hot it could be tough because grass doesn't allow Stan as much time to fight fire with fire.
I think Verdasco is probably underrated on grass as well but he's such a streaky player that it makes him difficult to predict.

Anyone catch him against Thiem or Klizan (may not have been streamed)?

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
Verdasco will grind down Wawrinka with his slice.

·
Registered
980 Posts
tricky match for me, if he is about to lose before semi then this is it. Everytime he's strugling but still winning, he's more or less losing to the next inspiring opponent the very next row. But it he win this then I can see him playing better tennis in the 2nd week.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
Strangely if this match were on hard or on clay I would not be worried at all. But strangely I'm most worried about Verdasco on grass :rolls:

·
24,343 Posts
I think this could be a bit tricky, because if the game Stan is showing is really struggling on his BH return, Verdasco could trouble Stan like what Anderson did, getting free points on their serves. However, Stan has been serving well and does employ good S&V tactics. Maybe Stan could use his slice on full effect on this match first and see if he rallies with it he could set up to his FH which his most reliable shot this tournament. Also rallying with slices could very well distract Verdasco and test his mentality.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I don t have a vrey good feeling about this match for stan unfortunatly....verdasco is even more inconsistent than stan(or atleast equaly incostant)but he seems to raise up his game when he needs it (saw it against dominik even though domi quite giffted that match )...he has that lefty serve that huge forehand ...and if stan was in decent form I d easily favour him to win but he didn t show a decent form in his last 2 matches especialy on his return and backhand...so yeah I don t know I hope stan knows he can t play the same as he did against sousa or estrella...he should try to put more serves back into play come at the net even more when he hits a shot that backs verdasco ...and definatly hit his backhand with more caution to not spray errors left and right...but yeah we ll see how it goes ..I really hope he could pull through this because it s the confidence boost he needs for this wimbledon (to atleast reach the quarters)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts