Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Terrible. Gulbis was the player who deserved to win in straights, but somehow lost 2nd and 3rd sets because of injury he was suffering, was the way better player on court, Nishikori lucked out again. I was in a pub and nobody was rooting for Nishikori, and I am not from Latvia. Tells a lot about Nishikori. In the last set of course Gulbis had no legs anymore after playing this many matches in a few days.

Now he can go and do his usual service for Djokovic indeed. The most interesting and talented player lost.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Wimbledon R4: [24] Nishikori def. [Q] Gulbis 4-6 7-6(5) 7-6(10) 6-1

It was not the best match out there but lots of dramas going on. Gulbis fell over, injured his leg in 3rd TB and Kei nearly choked despite leading 5-2 during the incident, but got through merely wining 12-10. Thought he would retire but kudos for playing till the end despite knowing that he is unlikely to win

Congratulations on Kei's first QF @ Wimby, meaning he has reached his QF on ALL grand slams.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
Wimbledon R4 Nishikori def. Gulbis 4-6, 7-6(7-5), 7-6(12-10) 6-1

really just an awful result. ernie was the drastically better player in the first 2 sets, really should have been up 2-0 but choked the tiebreaker away. 3rd set went on serve and then, in the breaker he slipped badly and hurt his knee. could barely move after that. still fought and had set points but couldn't take them. 3rd set was a formality and probably a mistake to play on ernie
's part. really unfortunate for ernie and unfair.

i only hope he didnt make it worse by playing the 4th and that this doesn't affect him long term. had so much injury trouble these last 2 years he really doesn't need more.was a spot away from getting back in the top 100 too.

perfect example of how unfair tennis is at times

i won't even mention nishikori because i have nothing positive to say. all i will say moving forward is that he better not bend over to djokovic again

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Re: Wimbledon R4: [24] Nishikori def. [Q] Gulbis 4-6 7-6(5) 7-6(10) 6-1

What a disgusting result for tennis... I am really in ruins for this result, the million time more interesting player lost, and we get this useless bendikori losing 2, 0 & 1 to Djokovic in the QF

·
Registered
12,668 Posts

Darn, really wanted this for Ernests. But he has a lot to be proud of. If he doesn't get injured for once, he's going to make waves on the tour again, but that's always a long-shot.

Wouldn't mind Kei winning this now but I guess he won't.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts

That was an awful end to Gulbis' run.

I also don't think i will ever be able to support Nishikori in a tennis match again.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

In ruins. Definitely one of the most disgusting results of the season. Gulbis was a miles better player in the 2nd set. Cheatikori acted like he had a life threatening injury - like his arm was about to fall off. Gulbis bottled the tiebreak and suddenly Cheatikori was all well and good - injury healed. Then Gulbis got injured (like, really injured, not just "Nishikori injured") - that's all she wrote. Nishikori flies to the top of my most disliked players list and rounds out the top-3 of Nadal, Raonic and himself.

And even though Gulbis had a fantastic tournament, this match still leaves a bitter aftertaste because if he had taken that 2nd set (which he should have done) then he almost certainly would have won and Cheatikori would have probably fully commited to his "I'm dying" act. But now, not only Gulbis didn't win, but also got seriously injured. Now we still don't know how serious the injury turns out to be, but imagine if it's serious. That would be heartbreaking for Gulbis. After all he has already been through in last couple of years. Now finally starts to regain some form only to get injured again. Hopefully it's not that serious, but I don't know, looked serious.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts

Totally undeserved, Gulbis outplayed him for the most part of the match. Nishikori won't win 6 games in total against Djokovic.

·
The special one
14,022 Posts

Yeah the crucial point was 4-2 in the TB where Gulbis slipped, that looked a nasty fall, Kei still did his best to choke away the set, blew a few SPs, 2 of them on his own serve, after that the result was never in doubt, Gulbis could barely move.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,610 Posts
Re: Wimbledon R4 Nishikori def. Gulbis 4-6, 7-6(7-5), 7-6(12-10) 6-1

I'll let people hate on Kei.

Yeah Kei got really lucky today. Especially as Gulbis was hardly losing service pts but couldn't get the TB. His serve was very heavy and Kei couldn't get purchase on either 1st or 2nd serves. Kei improved in set 3 but made hash of the 3rd TB, unable to close from double minibreak advantagew ith 2 DFs, and both having trouble winning pts on their serve there. Gulbis took a MTO in the middle of the tiebreak at 5-2 after a nasty slip but still managed to claw his way to SPs several times, but botched those, Kei came back despite squandering more SPs to grab it, and then it was fast to the end as Gulbis was physically hurt.

Even so Kei was not as bad as people make out to be. He had a slow start in the 1st, and was patchy at times but otherwise was hitting well. It was just that Ernests was THAT good in the 1st two sets on his serve and in rallies (solid). People overlook that Kei managed to get to the TBs which is a big deal and win both of them (though the second was a major operation).

TB (Kei on left)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

Kei was a bit lucky in all this but still a threat

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Congrats to the Samurai warrior on a first slam QF on his worst surface. Great effort after all his injury setbacks.
Gulbis suffered way more of injuries during whole his career. Just saying.

·
The special one
14,022 Posts

Gulbis suffered way more of injuries during whole his career. Just saying.
Yeah he has, but still great effort from Kei though. I don't understand some of the hate he gets on here.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Yeah Kei got really lucky today. Especially as Gulbis was hardly losing service pts but couldn't get the TB. His serve was very heavy and Kei couldn't get purchase on either 1st or 2nd serves. Kei improved in set 3 but made hash of the 3rd TB, unable to close from double minibreak advantagew ith 2 DFs, and both having trouble winning pts on their serve there. Gulbis took a MTO in the middle of the tiebreak at 5-2 after a nasty slip but still managed to claw his way to SPs several times, but botched those, Kei came back despite squandering more SPs to grab it, and then it was fast to the end as Gulbis was physically hurt.

Even so Kei was not as bad as people make out to be. He had a slow start in the 1st, and was patchy at times but otherwise was hitting well. It was just that Ernests was THAT good in the 1st two sets on his serve and in rallies (solid). People overlook that Kei managed to get to the TBs which is a big deal and win both of them (though the second was a major operation).

TB (Kei on left)

Forget about them
They are just haters who can't accept losses
I believe in this universe there is always a reason for karma. And maybe they are right, Djoker perhaps will get him back, but regardless of what, we have to accept the fact even it is hard to swallow
I do agree that Kei was lucky as Gulbis played great for most of the match other than the TB and final set.
Forgetting about the injury and stuffs like that, tennis is cruel, there is only 1 winner and you only have to win it even it is ugly or people rooting against you.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts

Carbon copy of the match versus Verdasco at RG last year, where he also faked an injury after completely getting outplayed for the first two sets and then won due to his opponent imploding. Just that we also had an injury for Ernie here, which makes this result even more awful.

Expect Nishikori to be allright next round, maybe to win the first set as well, but to eventually bend over to Djokovic of course.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Why didn't you merge my thread then? It was Nishikori disliked one and it was opened first so if you merge it will be up there in the first post? So much for freedom of speech when mod is Nishikori fan.

You as a mod are required to merge any thread about the match. Do your duty: https://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/947570-wimbledon-r4-[24]-nishikori-def-[q]-gulbis-4-6-7-6-7-6-6-1-a.html

Or I will ask other mods who are not Nishikori fans.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Did not see the match but very happy for Kei. He has been unlucky lots of time, nothing wrong with being the lucky one for once.

Nice to see a motivated Gulbis, hope he can have a successful late career. He always had the talent, with motivation it should be possible.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts

[...]

And even though Gulbis had a fantastic tournament, this match still leaves a bitter aftertaste because if he had taken that 2nd set (which he should have done) then he almost certainly would have won and Cheatikori would have probably fully commited to his "I'm dying" act. But now, not only Gulbis didn't win, but also got seriously injured. Now we still don't know how serious the injury turns out to be, but imagine if it's serious. That would be heartbreaking for Gulbis. After all he has already been through in last couple of years. Now finally starts to regain some form only to get injured again. Hopefully it's not that serious, but I don't know, looked serious.
Yeah, truly a devastating outcome to a deserved run back to form. Dude was really upbeat and focused in that post-presser of previous match. If only no injury then this was still a very nice run.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts