Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kei was two points away from losing in the fourth, and saved BPs at *3-4 in the fifth.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Didn't watch this one but is it the general consensus that Bolelli was the better player?

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Bolelli better player all match, Nishikori hanging on.

Bolelli serves to stay in the match, choke, choke, doublefault, pat basic no-pace shot into net, pat basic no-pace shot into net, gsm.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It's what it's.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Bolelli played above his best in the first part, while Kei was always going to have resources.

This was inevitable.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
i usually support kei but this loss anoys the hell out of me. simone was the better player for most of the match but choked when it mattered

playing like this kei will lose to raonic

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
How many matches have Djokovic & co. won when they were clearly the inferior player throughout most of the match? I think this just shows the growing mentality of Nishikori. True champions can win whilst playing terribly. Raonic Nishikori is 50/50 now but I expect Kei to up his game.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
i usually support kei but this loss anoys the hell out of me. simone was the better player for most of the match but choked when it mattered
Yep - I'm quite well disposed towards Nishi also (always did like an early ball striker), but that was just pathetic. Bolelli wasn't over-hitting, it was controlled aggression, some really nice tennis. Double bp in 5th .......... suddenly can't find the court. Serves to stay in the match, suddenly can't find the court.

playing like this kei will lose to raonic
Doesn't look like he's reading the bounce well at all. Raonic will hurt him if he's this passive.

Might just be a case of under-estimating the opponent though - kinda inevitable he'd have thought "easy" when he saw Bolelli next in his draw. When the opponent then plays out of his skin, and you think you should be winning comfortably, it can be tough to find your best game.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Kei was lucky to win this one but did play well on the break points - especially in the fourth set.

Tough loss for Bolelli though as he was the better player for much of the match. But not on the big points in the fourth and fifth sets.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Phew, easy finish today.

Remarkable that Kei has virutally nothing to lose in the ranking from now on. Looks like a spot in the WTF is only a matter of time :yeah:

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
a win is a win i guess. much better today than last saturday

now please beat raonic somehow...

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Yeah,you are right.
He is N6 in the Race To London at the moment.
He is, but the likely situation is that only the 8th spot is possible - Nadal, Djoko, Wawrinka, Federer are already there, Berdy is there unless he misses the rest of the season, Murray/Ferrer will make it too.

That leaves probably 5 players (Nishi, Dimi, Raonic, Gulbis, Cilic) competing for one spot - Raonic/Cilic are 800 points behind but their best half of the season is still to come, and both are capable of picking up big points at masters or slams. Then Isner or Tsonga could have one big event .......

Looks like it'll be the best chase for WTF for quite a few years.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
He is, but the likely situation is that only the 8th spot is possible - Nadal, Djoko, Wawrinka, Federer are already there, Berdy is there unless he misses the rest of the season, Murray/Ferrer will make it too.

That leaves probably 5 players (Nishi, Dimi, Raonic, Gulbis, Cilic) competing for one spot - Raonic/Cilic are 800 points behind but their best half of the season is still to come, and both are capable of picking up big points at masters or slams. Then Isner or Tsonga could have one big event .......
I don't understand this "Ferrer will make it too".
US HC swing is his worst part of the season.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

Looks like it'll be the best chase for WTF for quite a few years.
What makes you think that Ferrer will win gain more points than Nishikori from now on?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Classic Bolleli :zzz:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts