Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
When Gulbis was set and double break down I thought it was going to be a blow-out. But he upped his game and played really good 2nd half of the 2nd set and the 3rd set. The he went AWOL in the 4th set, but regrouped in the 5th. Really up & down match, but Gulbis' fans are used to it by now. Gulbis now has won b2b 5 set matches and I'm not sure he will have enough gas in the tank to make the 3rd round competitive (since he also went through 3 qualifying matches). But we'll see.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I didn't expect this result.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Real #8 showed up. The fast surface means Gulbis has less time to mentally explode while loading up a forehand. Hope he goes on one of his weird bi-annuaol random peaks here. Him beating Sasha "fuccboi" Zverev would be one of the more glorious results in tennis history

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Only saw the final game, was a bit shaky serving it out but glad Gulbis got over the line :) He's already exceeded my expectations here so I just hope he's physically fine for the next match.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
What a glorious result for tennis and the Milky Way. Now that Tomic is out of the way, anything is possible for the real world #8. No seagull forehand, but he can fly his way into the finals.

Ernesto :sport:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Ernie :worship:
Last year and this year, he has really shown up at Wimbledon. He managed to defend his points from last year plus add some because of his qualifying victories. He actually has a chance in the next round, too.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Up and down match, will have his chances against Zverev or Fritz. If he plays Zverev that forehand battle is going to be ugly...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Gulbis deserves a lot of credit for reviving his dead career. He lost to some no namers ranked outside top 500. Now he's on the verge of the second week at Wimbledon. Just proves again, never give up.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
excellent result. he just started out playing so poorly, leaking errors. he reigned it in after that and once he did there was only ever going to be one result. these 2 aren't even close in talent level. match was in ernie's hands . he won't be without a chance against fritz/zverev either. especially now with the match being delayed to finish tomorrow

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Was so sure he would win I put 100 euro on it. Fantastic at times, forehand still so dodge though. Serve was very up and down, touch was on fire after Set 1. Go Ernie!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts