1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Is Fabbiano the new Cecchinato ?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Seems that the margins weren’t on Wawrinka’s side this time, lost two sets he could have won.

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Too many burgers for fat disgrace Wawrinka.... 5-1 uo in tie break 1 and 6-4 p in tie break 2. Might I remind you Fabbiano is one of the worst players on tour

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Wawrinka lost all aura and all clutchness. The disappointing comeback continues, it looks like Stan is moving to the territory of "has been"'s very fast.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
NID result after Wawrinka barely survived a far inferior player than Fabbiano in R1. Was pretty funny to see his tards getting excited after such a meaningless win and expecting greater things here.

Fabbiano's FH is quite a nice shot though, that has to be said. Actually he is technically nice to watch overall, reminds me of Fognini, not just the tennis.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Not surprising, really. Wawrinka used up all his clutchness quota in R1. Props to Fabbiano for not bottling it. He played with lots of belief and happily accepted the gifts he's been given.

Still, Stan can take a lot of positives from this. He's getting fitter, and hopefully will reach a decently consistent level for the NA swing.

·
23,064 Posts
It all really started when he lost the 1st Set 6-2 up in the TB and didn't even convert one of the SPs. That being said, Fabbiano was actually leading in points in the 1st Set by quite a much, and it was a Set Stan could've really "stolen" -- Stan struggled on serve early on. The loss of the 1st Set though probably also contributed to the 2nd, as he struggled to keep his level up. 3rd Set was seemingly the same, until he broke back that one moment and he became more alive, moving and hitting better. He had 15-40 chance actually yesterday to win the Set, but wasn't able to convert and postponed on Deuce.

Today came and Stan seemingly looked chipper. From little I saw, adjusted his return stance, and was able to return better. Still, he needed to be more aggressive than Fabbiano, who was able to find his big shots better than Stan did. TB came and Stan was up 2 minibreaks -- one of them an SP -- and while I didn't see it, he did give up the earlier one with a DF. In general, this match had been the sort of recurring issue for Stan since his return on clay, and that is struggling with winning the important points and keeping pressure on the opponent. Either he misses those crucial points, or immediately give back momentum. Stan's base level may be lower, but losing these margins have been proven to be fatal and is making his road to recovery much harder.

Congrats to Fabbiano, who was really so positive in keeping his aggression. He was helped quite by Stan's iffy returning though, putting the balls easily in his FH strike zone. Many netcords also went on his favor, although I wonder if its just his shot execution that makes it possible. Makes sense now how he beat someone decent in grass like Bhambri.

Sad to see Stan's improbable journey end in R2 at Court 3 (ugh, haha), and I wonder what his next step would be -- he's showing signs of good play, but can't string enough wins at a row to get his comeback going. Losing around 8 SPs in total summarizes how Stan probably feels trolled right now, but I think he's keeping hope alive.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Draw opens up for Tsitsipas although was looking forward to him vs Wawrinka.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Never seen Fabbiano play so well and hold his nerve. Stan is improving but he needed a good win to gain confidence.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Dimitrov must be feeling good about himself right now.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Felt really sorry for Stan, having a set point and then having to stop almost immediately for the rain. That's not a nice point to have to resume from, because if you're not sharp straightaway on the resumption then you can be out of the tournament almost immediately. He just doesn't seem to be able to catch much of a break since his return - apart from a wobbly Dimitrov the other day, of course. Definitely needs to be able to string a few wins together somewhere.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Wawrinka is slowly but continuously improving back to a reasonable level. I think he will be back to the top 20 or 30 towards the end of the year. Congrats to Fabbiano for being clutch in the critical moments.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
This was a disappointing result for Wawrinka but it's not like he played terribly or was blown away, just didn't do well on the key points against a gritty opponent. Needs to continue as he already is i.e. getting match practice and improving his fitness, to return to being a contender on the tour once again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts