Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW: Zverev or Fritz?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fritz was on the whole the better player. Zverev Slam-allergic as ever. Even if he survives this one, I fully expect either Gulbis or Kyrgios to upend him in the next two rounds.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
Re: Wimbledon R2: Fritz leads [4] Zverev 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(0) [play suspended]

Wow Taylor. Hope he can finish the job.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

The momentum can easily shift tomorrow. Having said that, this is Sascha in a Grand Slam, he keeps getting into long matches early on, leaving him too gassed to reach the 2nd week. He barely got into RG QF, got hurt, which in turn hurt his grass season preparation.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Zverev is seriously unlucky.. You can’t be playing a dangerous guy like Fritz in second round when you’re seeded 4...

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

That tiebreaker bagel was monster performance

Zverev wanted out of court already in the middle of the 3rd set, moaned about dew.And he was still on serve then.

Saved by the bell.

Fritz will spend sleepless night and will lose tomorrow for sure.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Fritz is playing a great Match. Way above his level of the last couple of weeks. All in all its a classic Sascha Grand Slam Match. But while he was poor in his early Matches in Paris, here he has to face a opoonent who was on fire. Hopefully Sascha can turn it around, but it will be very intresting to see if Fritz can keep it up!

·
Registered
4,173 Posts

Zverev is seriously unlucky.. You can’t be playing a dangerous guy like Fritz in second round when you’re seeded 4...
The draw would make the prediction that a guy ranked 68 and never made it past second round at grand slams as dangerous. Yeah right.

·
Registered
10,453 Posts

Why didnt they move this match to CC, they could play there until 11PM local time.

·
52,611 Posts
That is making excuses for the guy. I'm annoyed Kei has to face Kyrgios, Zverev and Djokovic from R32 while top half draw is split wide open for Raonic and some randoms with Cilic's upset.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
That is making excuses for the guy. I'm annoyed Kei has to face Kyrgios, Zverev and Djokovic from R32 while top half draw is split wide open for Raonic and some randoms with Cilic's upset.
Kei is also seeded 4?

·
52,611 Posts
Why didnt they move this match to CC, they could play there until 11PM local time.
They only just finished a CC match with Muguruza upset now. Doubt they will start.

Kei is also seeded 4?
No but in general that half has reduced so you get guys like Fabbiano within touching distance of second week for easy pt hauls while Kei has one of the roughest sections. Of course Cilic never mugs when in Kei's draw

·
Registered
10,453 Posts

And yes drawing Fritz on grass in the second round as 4th seed is pretty unlucky. Zverev has to beat him but defo an unlucky draw this one.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The draw is really unbalanced AF. Just too stacked in one section/half.

As for Kei; if he somehow survives the Kyrgios onslaught, that elusive Wimbledon QF could become a real possiblity. This Zverev isn't scaring anybody.

·
Registered
215 Posts

What time will the match start tomorrow? 1:00 pm local or will they bring it on early? I need to set an alarm over here, so exact times are preferable.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Picked Fritz in 4, but knowing Zverev, he will bullshit his way in 5 Roland Garros-style....

·
Registered
235 Posts

Who should he be playing? If they seeded the tournament 1-128 -- as they really should *grumble-grumble* -- in the second round 4 would be facing 61 or 68.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts

Not sure if I'll be able to catch the conclusion of this one but I enjoyed today's portion - Fritz really brought his A game and ended on a high with that excellent TB. Zverev has a chance to recover but, while I don't particularly dislike him and won't be devastated if he completes the comeback, I'd rather he didn't win this match.

One thing I've noticed with the Brit commentators ever since RG is how keen they are to build up A. Zverev, especially what a friendly and nice guy he is to the media and off the courts... Well, unfortunately that persona is hardly (if ever) visible on court where most fans are going to get to see and judge him for themselves.

Zverev certainly didn't do much to win them over today, what with complaining about the court/light/whatever and then packing up to leave right after the TB before the umpire had announced whether play would continue or not.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts