Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good win for the young Greek, the draw is wide open for his slam breakthrough run.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Wimbledon R2: (31) Tsitsipas def. Donaldson 6-3 6-2 3-6 4-6 6-3

Caught the final set and what quality. Some choking and poor challenges but the quality of shot making was sublime. Tsitsipas is quickly becoming one of my favourite players to watch and I reckon he has a shot at the QF.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Re: Wimbledon R2: [31]Tsitsipas def. Donaldson 6-3 6-2 3-6 4-6 6-3

Honestly I didn't think the match would go 5 sets.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts

Wow. GJ recovering what could have been a really bad loss. He can definitely make a run to R4, but then he'll meet Djokovic and I don't think he's experienced enough to beat Nole yet in a Bo5. It does feel like his game might have matured some from a few months ago. He's playing some nice grass tennis. He has the game and skill to be good in any surface so this is good to see.

EDIT: Just realized Tsitsi is on Fed's half. He could make a run to QF then.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts

Tsitsi really loves making things harder for himself. Oh well, still got the win!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Great win of Stefanos. He almost lost this match being much better player, but couldn't use a lot of bps, when Donaldson was able to do it in almost every occasion. It's still the matter of his young age and lack of experience. So even with a great draw I won't predict anything. The most important for Tsitsipas is to gain an experience and improve his game.

Wow. GJ recovering what could have been a really bad loss. He can definitely make a run to R4, but then he'll meet Djokovic and I don't think he's experienced enough to beat Nole yet in a Bo5. It does feel like his game might have matured some from a few months ago. He's playing some nice grass tennis. He has the game and skill to be good in any surface so this is good to see.
No, Stefanos is in top half. Albot or Isner in the 4R if he beats Fabbiano.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts

Great stuff. He should be disappointed if he doesn't make QF.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

good win for Stefanos, he has a huge opportunity to reach at least the last 16 as he will now play Fabbiano.
But then against probably Isner, it will be more complicated, but with Cilic and Dimitrov out in the second quarter, it is quite open

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts

Great 5th set gotta feel for Jared but Stefanos is going to be top 5 no question.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

Great comeback from Tsitsi!!

Came on boy! Make it to the QF

·
Registered
5,560 Posts

Only caught the finish plus a few games from the latter stages yesterday; apparently Tsitsipas was peaking in the first two sets but couldn't sustain his brilliance... If so then that makes this win even more meaningful, especially as he was already down a break in the decider when I started watching.

This is the kind of test a young player can't be taught to take but just has to experience for himself. Tsitsi passed with flying colours and I'm now convinced he is a tennis champion in the making. Commiserations to Donaldson though: had a bandaged knee that likely hampered him but put up a good fight till the end.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hope Stefanos can reach R4 here. Can't see him beating Isner on grass but R4 would be a great result for him.

He has a better attitude and more mature approach to point construction than Denis Shapovalov at this point, though doesn't seem to have quite the same explosiveness.

I could see Stefanos developing into the better player over their careers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts