Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually a mediocre match by Nadal despite getting it done in 3.

Need to stop spamming the slice and open up his shoulders. His serve still looks vulnerable.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Re: Wimbledon R2 [2] Nadal def. Kukushkin 6-4, 6-3,6-4

Rafa seemed atrocious. Poor serving, Kukushkin had BP's on many occasions and the ground game didn't seem too good as well. Hope he can raise his level but I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Re: Wimbledon R2 [2] Nadal def. Kukushkin 6-4, 6-3, 6-4

Nadal winning ugly. His serve was awful. Still, this is Wimbledon so I’ll take it. One more winnable match and he locks up #1 for a while.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

Need to stop spamming the slice and open up his shoulders. His serve still looks vulnerable.
What are you talking about serve vulnerable?
He's serving at 125 mph regularly, nest serving in ages.

Spamming the slice? He uses this to reset the point in his favour.

But do help Rafa open up his shoulders, since Moya isn't there, I'm sure he could use your help.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

Very mediocre. Saved 11/13 BPs in a 3 set match. He's facing a 19 year old next round that he should handle though.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts

Probably had something to do with Kukushkin too who doesn't like no pace shots and it's also tougher to hit through his BH when Kukushkin hits his BH DTL because the ball stays so low.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts

Unimpressive from Rafa. Conceding 13 break points in 3 sets to Kukushkin does not bode well. Needs to improve a lot to challenge for the title.

·
Registered
755 Posts

Nadal is going to have to raise his level quite considerably from that performance if he wants to go anywhere near winning this.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

I can already imagine the negative criticism from Rafa "fans" of this straight set match that took 2 1/2 hours. match. LOL

His serve was better than it has been in ages. He did make a few weird errors that don'[t matter against a player like Kush, but will matter against Delpo, Djok etc.

Still, again, he did all that was needed to get off the court quickly with a win. Like what I'm seeing.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

Yep, nothing but criticism of an easy straight set win.

Maybe some Fed or Djok fans will have something better to contribute.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

For me was a very good match by Rafa, the opponent was very tricky.
And 2º win in straights, he didn't suffer at all.

Next opponent De Minaur, 19 years, i think is not rival to Nadal.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

Unimpressive from Rafa. Conceding 13 break points in 3 sets to Kukushkin does not bode well. Needs to improve a lot to challenge for the title.
Interestingly, he said in the post-match interview that he played better than in the 1st round, perhaps he felt better than he looked?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I can already imagine the negative criticism from Rafa "fans" of this straight set match that took 2 1/2 hours. match. LOL

His serve was better than it has been in ages. He did make a few weird errors that don'[t matter against a player like Kush, but will matter against Delpo, Djok etc.

Still, again, he did all that was needed to get off the court quickly with a win. Like what I'm seeing.
R u ok? 2 1/2 hours is not quick for a three set match on grass and Nadal’s serve stats were extremely mediocre. Sometimes I wonder if you even watch the matches or just look at the score and then start spouting off.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

Yep, nothing but criticism of an easy straight set win.

Maybe some Fed or Djok fans will have something better to contribute.
No 'criticism' just concern, in my case at least. What's the problem with being realistic? It was not a good match, lots of Rafa's games started at 0:15, 0:30, too many chances for Kukushkin. I just hope he improves in the next rounds in which case these early matches won't be so important anyway.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I haven’t ever seen De Minaur play, so I’m just gonna guess Rafa in at most 4 surely? This is judging solely on De minaurs age

·
Registered
712 Posts

i watched the entire match and he played as well as he "needed" to. Did not seem to exert himself much at all in a straight set victory. I'm sure he is pleased with today. Yes the serve has more pace than usual with quite a few over 120mph.

·
|
14,295 Posts

Nadal won an insane 71% of points on his 2nd serve, probably a career-high at Wimbledon :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Neither player was at their best, but neither played poorly I don’t think.

Nadal absolutely dominated the big points.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts