Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big win for the new Brit. He'll face Troicki in the 2R.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
Good win for Aljaz. First Wimbledon as a Brit and he wins a round.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
British tennis on the rise!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Great comeback for the new Brit and it's the perfect way to endear himself to the British public. If he can keep on winning matches and showing that kind of heart, I think they will take to him. Hopefully his appeal is successful so he can start playing in DC. We need someone other than Murray that is decent player and Bedene looked good today.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Good win for Aljaz. First Wimbledon as a Brit and he wins a round.
Proof enough that he isn't really a Brit :p

He is so pretty, nice for him to get some success on British soil, nothing will make the Brits accept you like winning.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
Proof enough that he isn't really a Brit :p
I suppose that would usually be true, but we're having a rather great Wimbledon so far.
He is so pretty, nice for him to get some success on British soil, nothing will make the Brits accept you like winning.
He's having a great year. Hopefully his ranking will climb so we'll have another 'Brit' in the top 50...maybe 40 or higher.
Disgusting line umpires cheated on Stepanek. Hopefully Troicki destroys this pathetic mug.
Someone is uber mad.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
Because some plebs like to pretend that citizenship is the same thing as nationality.
On paper he is now a Brit. Nothing wrong with calling him a Brit or celebrating his success as a Brit.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
I will never accept him as a Brit, nor continue supporting the British Davis Cup team if he ever plays for them (not that my opinion is relevant in any way). Not interested in passport nonsense.

Nothing against him living in Britain, though, nor his possession of a "British" passport (actually an EU passport, as you'll notice if you look at the first line on the cover of your passport; even without British citizenship, he would be free to live here indefinitely). I like Slovenes. I haven't seen him play before, anyway.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe my perspective on this is different as an American. Bedene's switch isn't a paper one like, say, Brydan Klein's. He's lived in Britain for years and really seems to be super enthused about becoming a Brit. In America that's what counts. I suppose in other countries it's less like that and more like, you can't change the way you were born? I'll defer to you guys to gatekeep your own country. ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Disgusting line umpires cheated on Stepanek. Hopefully Troicki destroys this pathetic mug.
Stepanek cheats every match with his beauty, but no problem can be found?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Maybe my perspective on this is different as an American. Bedene's switch isn't a paper one like, say, Brydan Klein's. He's lived in Britain for years and really seems to be super enthused about becoming a Brit. In America that's what counts. I suppose in other countries it's less like that and more like, you can't change the way you were born? I'll defer to you guys to gatekeep your own country. ;)
I read an article recently that said it takes (on average) 3 years to become an american, 3 generations to become a norwegian but a foreigner can never become japanese. I think there's some truth to that statement, with great britain somewhere in between the first two.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts