Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mayer, you're supposed to be a clay courter ranked in the 70s, not an all courter ranked in the 20s.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
-crowd was horrible
-kokk played well but not great
-mayer played great , very impressive
-very lucky match point at 30-40 with the net

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
It was pretty even. Kokk played pretty well and so did Mayer. Could have been a 5 set epic.

Funny how Kokk managed to get to R3 of RG and lost in R1 of Wimbledon. That's how important the draw is sometimes.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
Mayer always needs so many set points, especially in close first sets. He needed five this time.
All in all, he played very impressive.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I don't see what people are seeing in Kokkinakis, the guy has nothing to write home about, he could be a top 20 player but nothing more.

·
Registered
27,267 Posts
I don't see what people are seeing in Kokkinakis, the guy has nothing to write home about, he could be a top 20 player but nothing more.
10/10

·
Registered
11,830 Posts
I like watching Mayer and I don't understand why some on here thought he couldn't play on grass after he reached the 4th round here last year. He served well today and he was striking the ball cleanly from the back of the court. The net-cord on MP was lucky but he was the better player in every department anyway. Floppy Kokk is overrated and was never going to win this match.

·
Registered
199 Posts
No real surprise.

At this stage Kokkinakis' game is pretty ill-suited to grass.

Takes way too long to wind up on his shots, hits a top spin backhand with no venom on it whatsoever, under-utilises the slice and and refuses to flatten out the forehand.

Mayer's game is much more suited to the surface and he exposed Thanasi today, as Simon did the week before.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I obviously disagree. He's got a massive forehand and I much prefer his backhand technique to a lot of other tall (6'4" and over) guys.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Massive forehand? i must have been watching someone else, his forehand is more akin to someone like GGL, no way is it massive like Soderling, Delpo, Verdasco, Rosol or Sock.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I wouldn't say that. He's very solid baseliner, normally mentally strong (not today apparently), and seems to have a pretty good attitude. I'm not saying he will win multiple slams tho, but he should have a nice consistent career.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I wouldn't say that. He's very solid baseliner, normally mentally strong (not today apparently), and seems to have a pretty good attitude. I'm not saying he will win multiple slams tho, but he should have a nice consistent career.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
That's how i would describe him too, consistent and mentally pretty tough but not really with a very big game (unlike Kyrgios) to challenge the big boys, a bit like Nieminen really.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
You know, being top 20 wouldn't actually be anything to sneer at, should he achieve it. Kokkinakis seems to have a good temperament so may be able to get the most out of his game, which is worth admiring in itself. Granted, I am not seeing signs of outrageous talent or top 5 material, but so what?

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Mayer was pretty decent in Notts last week. His forehand really gets through the court nicely.

Similar major weakness on display here though: his return game on grass is Almagro class. 6 tiebreaks in last 3 matches - that's not really sustainable.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts