Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright that first set was strange. Federer was making error after error and Harris didn’t miss anything, but then he finally found his game and Harris‘ level dropped a bit as expected. Rest was a clinic. 42 winners to 14 errors looking pretty good

·
10,279 Posts
It must suck to be inspired for 1 set against Federer and then just completely be blown out of the water.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Could not see the first set, but it seems like it was a mess. I liked what I saw the rest of the match.

Luckily, plenty of time for the GOAT to play himself into form in the next two rounds.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Very surprising first set. Harris had no fear of the champion while Fed didn't expect such a resistance and had some uncharacteristic errors. The situation changed drastically in the 2nd set when Harris missed an easy forehand and was broken for the first time. Fed had more confidence in his game since then. Too bad Harris had a problem with his calf, otherwise the second part of the match could have been more competitive.

·
Registered
217 Posts
First Set Fed was stiff, making strange errors then he picked up his game drastically.

First serve %was low in sets 2,3,4, but his ground game saved him hitting slow mixed with power shots. Seems to me that he is hitting bigger with his forehand when he flattens it out, mixed with the Rafa like loopy topspin.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Harris showing the right attitude in the first set. Other guys should take notes! Federer wasn't even playing terrible in the first set like people automatically assume when he, or any other top player, is behind. Maybe a couple of easy errors, sure, but it was mostly because of Harris' good level with a powerful FH and well-placed serves. He was never going to keep that up of course given his experience whereas Roger is always able to find another gear. Ideal first round match.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Harris showing the right attitude in the first set. Other guys should take notes! Federer wasn't even playing terrible in the first set like people automatically assume when he, or any other top player, is behind. Maybe a couple of easy errors, sure, but it was mostly because of Harris' good level with a powerful FH and well-placed serves. He was never going to keep that up of course given his experience whereas Roger is always able to find another gear. Ideal first round match.
Federer said himself immediately after the match that he was slow in the first set and couldn't get the legs moving I don't think he won the first point in any of his service games none of his shots were working. But once he got the break in the second set his play improved and there were some masterly volleys at the net and the serve improved. But credit to Harris who came out guns flying.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Federer won almost same % of points on both first serve, 2nd serve - 80%...I need to check stats once but based on eye-test, I feel like recently Roger hasn't been winning as many cheap points on first serve as he used to do before.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Looks like Federer doesn't enjoy facing his countrymen.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Harris was playing very well in the first set, but I think Federer was also nervous. Nerves would be understandable in the very first match as you fear a disastrous 1st round exit on Centre Court as 2nd seed against a player you've never played against, magnified that much more when you know your time as a GS contender is just about up.

Once Federer relaxed more, the ranking disparity became fully clear and we got to see a beautiful clinic in grass-court tennis from Federer. Perfect tune-up for the 2nd round.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Federer said himself immediately after the match that he was slow in the first set and couldn't get the legs moving I don't think he won the first point in any of his service games none of his shots were working. But once he got the break in the second set his play improved and there were some masterly volleys at the net and the serve improved. But credit to Harris who came out guns flying.
I know, I saw that interview as well. His movement was not what it should have been, but level-wise he wasn't crap in the first set (still hit more winners than UEs e.g.) like some want to believe just because he lost a set.

Points won on 1st serve was key. Not the first serve % though, he showed that in the 2nd and 3rd: 37% 1st serve in - 6/7 points won and 28% - 5/5 respectively.

Conclusion: if people still believe you can win Wimbledon with a big first serve, they must be retarded.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Clarke up next, I think it should be a routine 1 break per set straight sets win, Clarke has nothing to throw at him like Harris did for a short time here.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts