Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I liked what I saw. Novak had a good serve, solid net game and caused Kohli problems in most of his service games. 37 winners on top of that. Very good start of the grass season for him.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Philipp is a QF-caliber player, and Nole has just dismantled him easily. I won't be surprised if he wins it all.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Djokovic was solid enough for a first match.

Kohlschreiber... that guy has so much wasted potential. He's talented enough, but his mentality... He lacks belief in himself and also he doesn't seem to be able to raise his game when it really matters (something that the top guys always do).

Kohli also for some reason refused to hit a topspin backhand today. He only sliced it. Weird, because that shot is normally pretty good.

Yeh, the match was just a decent warm-up for Novak, nothing more.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Couple of poor games on serve but generally decent level for a round 1 against a decent top 100 player. Kohli unfortunately doesn't have the groundspeed or shotmaking to trouble as he once might have.

Not much to read into this result except that Djokovic looks fine and didn't really need an outing out at Halle or Queens.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Dominant display from NIDvak.
Clutch when it was required, while Kohli... not so much.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Philipp is a QF-caliber player, and Nole has just dismantled him easily. I won't be surprised if he wins it all.
lol. Talented as he is, Kohli has reached a slam QF only one time (Wimby 2012). On the other hand he now has NINE (9) first round losses in Wimbledon.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Kohlschreiber was a good opponent to get into rhythm. Djokovic can basically sleepwalk through the next two rounds. There's a potentially intriguing R4 match if FAA makes it that far, or a QF with Medvedev or Tsitsipas. His potential SF looks more promising, with Anderson, Lopez and RBA as possible opponents. Wawrinka is not going to make it that far, I think, but if he were to, it would be really cool to see him play against Djokovic on grass.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Kohlschreiber actually played pretty well, but just did not elevate his game enough to threaten Djokovic.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Kohlschreiber doing injustice to his beautiful potent BH. He had many opportunities to go DTL, because Novak was hitting FH inside-out with not much power, leaving the court open. Yes of course it is a risky one, but choosing to slice back to Novak is a certain death, he strangulated him like a python.

Happy Nole won in 3, happy he had a good opening match opponent. All in all, good start of the tournament, no sudden level dips. Solid stuff indeed.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Kohlschreiber doing injustice to his beautiful potent BH. He had many opportunities to go DTL, because Novak was hitting FH inside-out with not much power, leaving the court open. Yes of course it is a risky one, but choosing to slice back to Novak is a certain death, he strangulated him like a python.

Happy Nole won in 3, happy he had a good opening match opponent. All in all, good start of the tournament, no sudden level dips. Solid stuff indeed.
Yes, there were many rallies where Kohli hit an offensive forehand, but when he got a short reply to his backhand, he still just sliced it back instead of going for a BH winner.

That won't get it done vs Novak.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
No he’s not... he maybe was between 09 and 12 only made it there once. He went 0:3 on grass this season... Match was closer than i expected considering his form

·
Registered
523 Posts
Solid from Nole. Kohlschreibber has always been a difficult opponent for him. He has done well to get past this tricky opponent in straight sets. Looking good, the defending champ!

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Djokovic was solid enough for a first match.

Kohlschreiber... that guy has so much wasted potential. He's talented enough, but his mentality... He lacks belief in himself and also he doesn't seem to be able to raise his game when it really matters (something that the top guys always do).

Kohli also for some reason refused to hit a topspin backhand today. He only sliced it. Weird, because that shot is normally pretty good.

Yeh, the match was just a decent warm-up for Novak, nothing more.
Funny. I was thinking about the same thing. This is a perfect example when a player A doesn't have a plan B. Kohli looked kinda confused there. OK, whatever.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Funny. I was thinking about the same thing. This is a perfect example when a player A doesn't have a plan B. Kohli looked kinda confused there. OK, whatever.
Kohli didn't have a plan A is more like it ;) Not that the outcome was going to be any different but...

Djokovic looks nice and solid

·
justice for all
13,091 Posts
Yeah, sure, especially that he reach 1 (one) slam QF in his entire career 7 years ago and is now 35,5 years old and is now 0-3 on grass for the season.

The Serb looked good in some parts of the match but had some very poor patches of play too - it's yet to be confirmed whether his form is not great or he's not got used to the surface yet.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts