·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is absolute parity between men's and women's prize money:
http://www.totalsportek.com/tennis/wimbledon-prize-money/

Meanwhile:

1. Men play best of 5, while women only play best of 3

2. Men's matches draw the largest spectators and most expensive tickets by far, compared to women's matches, with men's final ticket cost GBP 5,618 while women's final ticket only cost GBP 1,419

Equality? More like inequality to me, where women are given so much more privileges and benefits.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Yes, Wimbledon prize money is fair.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts

Meanwhile:

2. Men's matches draw the largest spectators and most expensive tickets by far, compared to women's matches, with men's final ticket cost GBP 5,618 while women's final ticket only cost GBP 1,419

Equality? More like inequality to me, where women are given so much more privileges and benefits.
Watching most men playing bo5 is bad enough these days, now would we really want women to play bo5 too for the sake of 'equality'?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
If 90% of guys on tour actually earning the money don't have the balls to speak out why should we care?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

Meanwhile:

That's because gender equality in the West has always been about women getting the better of men while keeping their "special treatment" privileges. Meanwhile in the Third world, women are forced to marry before adulthood, get *****, get sold, get killed, and no-one bats an eye. Tennis is just another experimenting ground for the feminist social engineers, so it's not that surprising really.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts

Meanwhile:

:eek: That's insane.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Meanwhile:

Reason 1 is irrelevant, it's all about reason 2. Main reasons why e.g. men's tennis matches generate more interest:

1. Men are the primary "consumers" of watching competitive sport events(usually a function of playing lots of sports in childhood) and they choose to watch men's tennis matches because (1)they identify more with the players and (2)see reason 2.
2. There is a noticeable difference in performance quality/mastery between men and women in almost all sports(excluding gymnastics, figure skating, diving, archery etc.) and that's clear even to women.

Because of "minor" biological/physiological differences between men and women, it is difficult to "remedy" the 2nd reason. So, unless parents make a conscious decision to encourage(or even force if needed) girls to engage in sports, the argument about equal pay will remain preposterous. Trying to "solve problem 1" can quickly enter the realm of moral dilemmas since one can argue that the main reason as to why "problem 1" is present is the same reason why problem 2 is difficult to remedy (aka "minor" biological/physiological differences generate genuine interest in boys as opposed to girls).

·
Registered
564 Posts
Who the hell watches WTA matches seriously they are so booring, i could force myself to watch a set but only for the girls. And most of them are ugly AF...

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Who the hell watches WTA matches seriously they are so booring, i could force myself to watch a set but only for the girls. And most of them are ugly AF...
WTA matches are just like ATP matches, in that some of them are quite boring, some of them are decent, and a few are fantastically good. I enjoy watching the good & great matches from both tours (while giving the boring ones a pass).

As for their looks, well, everyone has their own taste. I personally think the vast majority of the tour is gorgeous (and of course fabulously fit). But that's a side benefit - just as with the guys, the real attraction is the tennis.

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
Doubles players have to make the semifinal in order to earn more than a womens first round loser. This sounds a bit sick. I mean the 29k pound for a first round loser is probably twice as much as it should be.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Doubles players have to make the semifinal in order to earn more than a womens first round loser. This sounds a bit sick. I mean the 29k pound for a first round loser is probably twice as much as it should be.
Doubles players should definitely earn more. But that should not come at the expense of the WTA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts