Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great match by 2 champions but wimbledon has lost its edge.The all england club should relocate its offices to paris.Is this really grascourt tennis?The bounces where ridiculous and the balls looked heavy.Nadal will win wimbledon within the next 2 years if the conditions stay the same.By the way, look at last year's final and this year's final.The courts where different.

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
I started following tennis since about 2003, and in this last 2-3 years more close... so i don't know exactly how it was befores... do you guys think that anything can be done or grass court is lost already?

·
Registered
220 Posts
hell shrink the ball size, soften up the grounds..push it back for a couple of weeks during early summer rain season so the ground gets soaked and then start

ANYTHING

man speed it up

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey vai, i think they really changed it this year.In 2003 through 2006, there wasnt alot of high bounces and it wasnt as slow.I have never seen so many rallies on my life.

I suggest everyone to check last year's wimbledon final and this year's final and u would see the difference.I saw it clearly.

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
I started following tennis since about 2003, and in this last 2-3 years more close... so i don't know exactly how it was befores... do you guys think that anything can be done or grass court is lost already?
I remember pretty well from 2000-2001, it was much faster. Try watching some clips in youtube of old matches, from the 90s. You'll see the huge difference of the bounce... much lower.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A great match by 2 champions but wimbledon has lost its edge.The all england club should relocate its offices to paris.Is this really grascourt tennis?The bounces where ridiculous and the balls looked heavy.Nadal will win wimbledon within the next 2 years if the conditions stay the same.By the way, look at last year's final and this year's final.The courts where different.

I completely agree. I miss grass court tennis of the faster variety, up until about 2004 I'd say. Pre 04, the courts were much faster, the balls lighter and the play much quicker. I guess the only thing that might bring back those conditions is a Brit serve and vollyer, so that the AELTC speeds up the court to try to help the hometown player.

PS,
The only part of your post I disagree with is the implication that Nadal winning Wimbledon is necessarily bad. If you didn't mean to imply that, I apologize.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey lillith, i thought 2004 and 2005, even last year, it was quick, not alot of rallies.I think they changed it alot this year.If u have matches on DVD, go look at them and u would agree.

·
Registered
349 Posts
True. The surface was much quicker ten years ago, when the amazing serve and volley player Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario made two finals in a row.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The bounces were total horseshit. Frankly that pissed me off.

But the match is a classic. Freaking classic.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
The bounces were total horseshit. Frankly that pissed me off.

But the match is a classic. Freaking classic.
exactly

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I completely agree. I miss grass court tennis of the faster variety, up until about 2004 I'd say. Pre 04, the courts were much faster, the balls lighter and the play much quicker. I guess the only thing that might bring back those conditions is a Brit serve and vollyer, so that the AELTC speeds up the court to try to help the hometown player.

PS,
The only part of your post I disagree with is the implication that Nadal winning Wimbledon is necessarily bad. If you didn't mean to imply that, I apologize.
That's relative.

IMO, the grass should not be changed to suit people like Nadal who have a problem playing on the natural, more recent grades of grass.

The whole idea of showing how great achampion you are is being able to adapt to different conditions, not having the conditons adapt to you.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts