Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wimbledon causing distress with new dress code

The first week of Wimbledon is nearing its closure and as usual everyone appeared on court with perfectly white outfits. Nevertheless there is a lot of distress among over the even stricter dress code. Especially among women there is a lot of commotion, now even their underwear has to be completely white.

Some ladies already appeared on court without a bra, because it didn't fit the new regulations. Other women are complaining about the fact that white undergarments under a white dress get too see through when they sweat. Despite all of that Wimbledon holds its ground and sticks to the new dress code, which is implemented to keep cloth designers from distinguishing themselves by using colors.

The new rules: every piece of clothing has to be white, no broken white or creme color is allowed. On the sleeves and neck piece one colored lane is allowed of one centimeter wide. The same thing goes for caps, headbands, wrist bands and socks.

According to last year's champion Marion Bartoli the rules are going too far. ''The dignity of women is being threatened'', she said. Former pro Pat Cash shares her opinion: ''It's ridiculous, they're going too far in their attempt to restore old traditions. I heard that some women were sent back to change their top and bra, just because it contained some color. I believe that some of them didn't have a suited sports bra and had to play without. It's really ridiculous''.

Igor Sijsling also had to deal with the stricter dress code. He had one colored line too many on his shirt and had to go back to the locker room and change. There were also reports of players having to change underwear, including the men. One player had blue boxers on which got visible when he started sweating, after which he got reprimanded.

Venus Williams planned to be a rebel and threatened to wear animal print underwear under her white dress. Williams announced on Twitter she wanted to test the new rules and posted some pictures of bright colored sports bras. As it stands she is yet to be seen on the tennis court wearing those colors.
Get a grip, Wimbledon :facepalm:

And yes MTF, I know you are all thrilled about women playing without a bra and with see through underpants, but be objective ;)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Buy a white bra, these women were flaunting the rules for too long with purple bras and shorts underneath their skirts.

How hard is it to buy white clothes?

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Good.

Wimbledon is separate to every other grand-slam and tennis tournament in the world, there is no other tournament like it and therefore it should be shown in the kit-code of the players.

It's a prestigious event and there's something 'pure' and 'captivating' about Wimbledon.

I think an all white kit at Wimbledon is part of it's identity and gives that essence of, we are at Wimbledon. Leave the alternative looks for the other slams and masters series across the year, but allow the tradition and identity of Wimbledon to remain. I am all for this strictness. Massive thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
And yet Sleeve is allowed to play in his ridiculous sleeve. But seriously, I don't think there's any excuse for not having the proper white clothing, it's hardly an enormous ask..

A lot of the trouble is caused by the idiotic approach of people like Venus Williams. The reason they're being so stern is because of the deviants trying to subvert the Wimbledon tradition. They're responding by protecting that tradition, so maybe people shouldn't try to 'test' the rules. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Good.

Wimbledon is separate to every other grand-slam and tennis tournament in the world, there is no other tournament like it and therefore it should be shown in the kit-code of the players.

It's a prestigious event and there's something 'pure' and 'captivating' about Wimbledon.

I think an all white kit at Wimbledon is part of it's identity and gives that essence of, we are at Wimbledon. Leave the alternative looks for the other slams and masters series across the year, but allow the tradition and identity of Wimbledon to remain. I am all for this strictness. Massive thumbs up from me.
Yes the shity looking courts in the 2nd week of the tournament makes Wimbledon feel very pure and prestigious. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
All these girls probably do not grow up with white under wears and they are probably not used to it/ feel uncomfortable in it (those are for their great grandmas and grandmas). That's my guess.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It should be easy enough to get a decent white sports bra, but I think Marion raises a good point about the shorts/pants. It takes a brave woman to wear little white shorts/big pants when there are cameras trained on them.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I don't believe this. Can we get some pics of the braless WTA players?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Wimbledon and their "traditions" are a disgrace. Most backward major by a mile. I mean, even medics have to be all-white unless "absolutely necessary". How generous of them. I hope more tennis personalities speak up for a change of this bullshit rule.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Wimbledon and their "traditions" are a disgrace. Most backward major by a mile. I mean, even medics have to be all-white unless "absolutely necessary". How generous of them. I hope more tennis personalities speak up for a change of this bullshit rule.
Goodness, the rage is strong with this one. What's the problem? Don't like it, don't play there or don't watch.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
I suppose this would be even too much today.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
At this rate, only white people will be allowed to play at Wimbledon.
Well watch this space, visiting Wimbledon with its "traditions" is like going back to Edwardian times, loathe the atmosphere there and the fawning and endless plugging of the commentators many of whom are members.

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 102 Posts