1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
61,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
GREAT! Finally some decent actions from them by killing this garbage "grass rankings"
Next move: remove white dress code.Hopefully.

Reactions: Fargif

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
It is ridiculous that Wimbledon killed grass rankings. The grass season being so short justifies grass rankings to prove that you can actually play on the surface. I don't see why somebody who bows out in R1 every year should be seeded just because he's normally a seed in other events. Wimbledon yielding to grass court scrubs is a blow to the sport.

·
Registered
383 Posts
White dress code is one of quirky rules I like, and it's has become Wimbledon's identity It's unique and made it even special and I agree that they should keep that dress code. I would like to allow some mainly white but allow for some colorful shirts like it was in 80's and early 90's.

I am disappointed that there is no longer special ranking for grass court as it's so short unless there are more grass court events that is being played throughout the year, not just mainly June/July. I would agree if they kill the ranking for one season as 2020 grass court season is not being played.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
dang even less incentive for people to play on grass now

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Based on world ranking, 224 players who would have competed in Qualifying will each receive £12,500; 256 players who would have competed in Main Draw Singles will each receive £25,000; 120 players who would have competed in Main Draw Doubles will each receive £6,250; 16 players who would have competed in the Wheelchair events will each receive £6,000; and four players who would have competed in the Quad Wheelchair events will each receive £5,000. Players will only receive payment for one event.
🙏🙏🙏

·
MONSOON season.
82,490 Posts
Classy move.

Some players who were sure to skip Wimbledon qualies are getting some free money now.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Wimbledon is killing it in PR during this pandemic.

So many players replied "thank you".

·
Premium Member
9,323 Posts
White dress code is one of quirky rules I like, and it's has become Wimbledon's identity It's unique and made it even special and I agree that they should keep that dress code. I would like to allow some mainly white but allow for some colorful shirts like it was in 80's and early 90's.

I am disappointed that there is no longer special ranking for grass court as it's so short unless there are more grass court events that is being played throughout the year, not just mainly June/July. I would agree if they kill the ranking for one season as 2020 grass court season is not being played.
Agree on both accounts. White dress code is a harmless tradition, but just makes the event a fraction more a special occasion. Like dressing up for a gala.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,930 Posts
That's a nice gesture.

Grass rankings to be honest made very little difference in the grand scheme of things, especially in the modern sport.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It is ridiculous that Wimbledon killed grass rankings. The grass season being so short justifies grass rankings to prove that you can actually play on the surface. I don't see why somebody who bows out in R1 every year should be seeded just because he's normally a seed in other events. Wimbledon yielding to grass court scrubs is a blow to the sport.
The special grass rankings never changed the list of seeds, it was used only to re-order them

1 - 20 of 36 Posts