Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will be advantaged?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of rain on London on Sunday.

Who's gonna take most advantage from this, if they actually decide to close the roof before the match?

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Re: Wimbledon final could be played indoor

They could play on ice and Djokovic would still win.

The key is Novak just knows how to beat Federer while Roger always needs to hope that Djokovic has a bad day.

·
Registered
18,732 Posts

Lots of rain on London on Sunday.

Who's gonna take most advantage from this, if they actually decide to close the roof before the match?
To what extent do we expect change/delay of the schedule... I am wondering.

Likely, probably.... Anybody local, feedback appreciated.

:D

·
Registered
5,881 Posts

For all posters: indoors at O2 doesn't equal indoors at Wimbledon. Their two matches in 2012 at Wimbledon and O2 proves this. This would be an advantage Federer, watch the semifinal and final in 2012.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts

Federer get's the advantage when the roof is closed, not sure it will be enough.

·
Registered
894 Posts

I'm curious what changes so much to give Fed an advantage. Closed roof means less air and more heat. Isn't that bad for a guy with worse stamina?

Do indoor conditions impact ball bouncing, serve speed etc.? I need a reliable, backed up explanation, not an assumption.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Indoorer benefits from lower bounce, but isn't it slower too?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Stars are aligning for Roger...

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

This seems likely to happen. Every day the chanc eof showers has increasedd and now even monday is going to have rain so its not like an isolated patch. High chance it will start raining around 12 till 2 and then 2-6 it will likley keep raining. I dont think they will leave the roof open while its raining an hour before the match and soak the entire arena.. if its even sprinkling with the forecast around start time it will be shut for the duraction of the match before it starts... almost certain it will get used at some point at the very least.

history says the court gets very slippery when its shut so it makes movement far more difficult. not sure how it plays quicker .. may be the grass it more moist and the ball skids much more.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

To what extent do we expect change/delay of the schedule... I am wondering.

Likely, probably.... Anybody local, feedback appreciated.

:D
Hopefully there won´t be any changes of the schedule, as they have a roof. I hope they are wise enough to close it once it starts raining and not waiting like it was earlier this week.

How is the forecast, btw? I´ve heard about a possible rain tomorrow already, but when I look at the prediction model, it looks rain free.

EDIT: I looked at the wrong day :facepalm: They are predicting some rain for Sunday.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
What time is the match expected to start at( UK time)?

·
Registered
690 Posts
When was the last time Djokovic lost an indoor match?

Yeh, it helps Fed's serve speed but it's his placement and variety that demolishes his opponent, not just speed. But a closed roof help Djokovic high toss tremendously. Also, Djokovic hates to play under the sun on warm days.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Djoker also plays well indoors. 4 WTF titles.

·
6,609 Posts
2012 was a long time ago in tennis terms, and Novak sweeps the Indoor season these days.
Novak will win this, rain, hail or shine, or even cyclone.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Except it is not really *indoors* .........the humidity, temp, are not what people think, except for short periods.........it's why they were o reluctant to keep it closed the other day.

It is not O2 conditions and will benefit Federer.
Djokovic hates two things when playing tennis: sun light and the wind. Closed roof helps reduce both.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts