Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you think there will be some tennis in 2020?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to get real. There will be no ATP tennis tournaments and Slams in 2020 anymore. Wimbledon chief executive Richard Lewis admits it’s not “unrealistic to say that there may be no more tennis this year”.

While most countries seem to have controlled the virus to an extenct with harsh measurements, a tennis tournament relies on:
  • Travelling of players and staff around the world
  • A paying crowd to compensate for the costs
  • A safe place to hold it without any danger of getting ill

None of this requirements will be met 2020. Only small, local tournaments may be played. But the big ones - no chance.

·
Your visions will happen
52,957 Posts
Still think we should go one day at a time but I don't expect to even be back at work until August and that's just a restaurant. I can see domestic sports leagues resuming around then but no way something as international as tennis

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
There is a good chance that the virus will recede by August/September, but they will probably go by, "better be safe than sorry," "prevention is better than cure," and may very well cancel the sport for the entire year. If grand slams are wiped out for the year, would anyone really care about the rest of the events at the tail end of the year?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
This is quite a mess we're all into ! Im afraid the virus has only been contained at this point, not controlled by any chance or aproximation. The only part I can disagree with you. Rest is spot on . 🥺

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Of course, "staying at home," "social distancing," "covering up oneself," etc. are all containment measures, as the virus will only be effectively controlled with a vaccine, which won't be out at least for another twelve to eighteen months from now on, considering that a typical vaccine has to go through the approval process by the drug administrators.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Of course, "staying at home," "social distancing," "covering up oneself," etc. are all containment measures, as the virus will only be effectively controlled with a vaccine, which won't be out at least for another twelve to eighteen months from now on, considering that a typical vaccine has to go through the approval process by the drug administrators.
Yes , it is semantics / choice of words at this point . What I meant was that it seems so nasty this virus , that Im doubting it can ever be controlled like some said, with medication or develop an inmune system for it, etc. And yeah the vaccine ... whenever that came

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I may have to end my streak , no vaccination in like 25 years , no major diseases

·
Registered
14,444 Posts
But seriously, the virus isn't going to be "gone" in 2020, not without any kind of vaccine that can be administered in the general population (and it isn't likely to be that soon). Testing will have to become much more easy and much more common for any professional sports to start again this year, especially a worldwide sport like tennis.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Testing is the next best thing after a vaccine. Can't they test people coming into each country at the airports? The problem is, countries may lie about the numbers, saying they have zero cases to encourage tourism

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Testing is the next best thing after a vaccine. Can't they test people coming into each country at the airports? The problem is, countries may lie about the numbers, saying they have zero cases to encourage tourism
Of course, they will do that, once the countries open up their borders. For now, the focus is on the inside; i.e., the (150 or so) countries have closed their borders and have been busy cleaning up the filth that somehow invisibly sneaked into their region from outside. Then they will focus on the filth coming from outside.

Testing coupled with immediate self-isolation and self-quarantining are very important.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Any of us in the industry could have predicted this two weeks ago. Then again, I have connections, but I digress......

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I may have to end my streak , no vaccination in like 25 years , no major diseases
That doesn't seem right to me. There are some seriously awful diseases one should definitely get a vaccination against, however, Sars-2 isn't one of them. In case there is a vaccination (or drug) against it available I personally wouldn't take it for sure (you definitely should in case you are part of a risk group ofc.).

Given the pressure to make a vaccination or drug publically available, trials might be rushed, side effects disregarded. And for the majority of the people basically every side effect is worse than the virus itself given that an infection almost always develops very mildly or even asymptomatic. There is a reason why the big pharamceutical companies first of all test all their already (for other diseases) developed drugs that have already passed the trials before trying to develop something new. Most drugs are as laughably expensive as they are, not because the production is that expensive, but because developing and testing dozens of other (eventually failing) meds before finding a working one costs a tremendous amount of effort and money.

There are other problems resulting from that, like no new antibiotics against multi-resistent bacteria (probably a much bigger threat to our health than Sars-2), but this is another topic.

Reactions: Chicot and hammett
1 - 20 of 25 Posts