Mens Tennis Forums banner

161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Gutted. It's even my birthday...

I wanted to be angry at Roger, but then again, he's almost 38 and competing against someone six years younger who is himself a GOAT candidate, and actually being the better player except a few points.

2014, 2015 losses were nothing like this... I thought those were bad but this is 10x worse.

Still, I will always love and cheer for Roger, he almost beat his two biggest rivals (two GOATs) back to back at the age of 38, he just lacked a bit of luck in the end.
And you know, we thought he was finished after 2016, yet here we are after 3 more Slams and one more Slam final loss, lol.

I doubt he will win a Slam again, but I thought the same after 2016. And I hope he gets one more Wimbledon just for the sake of his mental health because this will hurt for the rest of his life, and one more title could make it 10% easier.

Hope Mirka takes care of Roger, and his kids as well.

As of us, we shouldn't be angry at him. We should be proud. Never could I have ever imagined in 2012 that he would be serving for the title with Match Points in hands against Djokovic in 2019, after beating Nadal in the previous match.

Let's just enjoy him while he plays without being bitter and angry because once he retires, there won't be anyone else like him in our lifetimes.

Same for Djokovic and Nadal. They are GOATs too, don't be bitter towards them even if they end up surpassing Roger's tally. We are so lucky to be able to witness three GOATs playing against each other. And it will end sooner rather than later, they are all getting very old (tennis wise).

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

I wanted to be angry at Roger, but then again, he's almost 38 and competing against someone six years younger who is himself a GOAT candidate, and actually being the better player except a few points.

2014, 2015 losses were nothing like this... I thought those were bad but this is 10x worse.

Still, I will always love and cheer for Roger, he almost beat his two biggest rivals (two GOATs) back to back at the age of 38, he just lacked a bit of luck in the end.
And you know, we thought he was finished after 2016, yet here we are after 3 more Slams and one more Slam final loss, lol.

I doubt he will win a Slam again, but I thought the same after 2016. And I hope he gets one more Wimbledon just for the sake of his mental health because this will hurt for the rest of his life, and one more title could make it 10% easier.

As of us, we shouldn't be angry at him. We should be proud. Never could I have ever imagined in 2012 that he would be serving for the title with Match Points in hands against Djokovic in 2019, after beating Nadal in the previous match.

Let's just enjoy him while he plays without being bitter and angry because once he retires, there won't be anyone else like him in our lifetimes.

Same for Djokovic and Nadal. They are GOATs too, don't be bitter towards them even if they end up surpassing Roger's tally. We are so lucky to be able to witness three GOATs playing against each other. And it will end sooner rather than later, they are all getting very old (tennis wise).
Happy birthday Joey. Even in this state I hope that you will find something to cheer you up.

I’m so gutted.

A very sad day. I’m so gutted

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

Happy birthday :)
I am sure that Federer will be much more confident if he meets Djokovic at the USOpen this year than he was in 2015.
The reason Federer didn't win the UsOpen was the mental block. He thought after the way he was beaten at Wimbledon that year that it was not on his racket.
This loss is entirely different. He lost the match despite dominating Djokovic for about 85% of the match.
Just put yourself in the reverse situation, if Federer had won the match the way Djokovic won it last night, would you be confident about Federer's chance to beat Djokovic for the remaining tournaments of the season?
As cruel as it was, I prefer to lose the way Federer did than win the way Djokovic did.
I may be too optimistic but I think despite this loss, Federer has now overcome his issues against Djokovic and he will be beating him like he has been beating Nadal off-clay after the AO2017

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Happy birthday :)
I am sure that Federer will be much more confident if he meets Djokovic at the USOpen this year than he was in 2015.
The reason Federer didn't win the UsOpen was the mental block. He thought after the way he was beaten at Wimbledon that year that it was not on his racket.
This loss is entirely different. He lost the match despite dominating Djokovic for about 85% of the match.
Just put yourself in the reverse situation, if Federer had won the match the way Djokovic won it last night, would you be confident about Federer's chance to beat Djokovic for the remaining tournaments of the season?
As cruel as it was, I prefer to lose the way Federer did than win the way Djokovic did.
I may be too optimistic but I think despite this loss, Federer has now overcome his issues against Djokovic and he will be beating him like he has been beating Nadal off-clay after the AO2017
Thanks for the wishes. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the way Fed will think about this match, very clearly.

He said it even himself after the match, 'I'll try to forget about it'. There is nothing positive he will remember about this, just that he lost after having the match in hand. Unfortunate and cruel, but such is life.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
He said it even himself after the match, 'I'll try to forget about it'. There is nothing positive he will remember about this, just that he lost after having the match in hand. Unfortunate and cruel, but such is life.
Happy belated birthday despite the sporting disappointment!

I'm not sure I believe him when he says he's taking the loss lightly either. Remember, he just recently mentioned how hard the Anderson loss last year hit him because he had the MPs (were they even on his serve?). Now that was a loss I personally didn't care much about because I didn't think he was playing well enough in 2018 to win the tournament. But it seems he did. Having that in mind imagine losing after having held 2 Wimbledon CPs vs. Djokovic on his own serve and bottling it. Being only the second player in the Open Era to lose from such a position. After having played a great match.

The good:
- His form is still exceptional. I don't know how he does it, but he looks amazing. His groundgame is forceful, his return game rejuvenated. He might win another major if he can keep up that amazing ball-striking.

The bad:
- Unfortunately we don't know how long he can keep up this rich vein of form. At his age it must be incredibly difficult to hang on to it.

The ugly:
- He lost yet another "classic". AO 2017 might be the only example of a match where he managed to scrape out the win. That's why I cherish it so much. I wish Roger would have won more of those close dramas, because personally I didn't really care e.g. about the Wimbledon 2017 F aside from the fact that he won. This was a unique opportunity to beat Djokodal back2back on the greatest stage of them all and he couldn't capitalize on his chances. He might win another major, but it probably won't be after beating Djokodal in 2 classics. This could have been his greatest tournament if only for a big serve landing on 1 of the 2 MPs, a vindicating triumph - instead it ended in tragedy and disaster.

Obviously before the match we were all more or less accepting the idea of defeat, especially since he is soon-to-be 38. His age (and the efforts of the Nadal match) showed a little in his slightly deteriorating groundgame in the latter parts of the match. But after having seen the match and Roger being the better player for large parts of it (apart from the tiebreaks and the latter part of the 4th/ beginning of the 5th set), the loss is incredibly disappointing and the way he lost it from a winning position can't be excused by age imho.

I want to see him vs. Djokovic as soon as possible again. Maybe he can fail a little better then.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Happy belated birthday despite the sporting disappointment!

I'm not sure I believe him when he says he's taking the loss lightly either. Remember, he just recently mentioned how hard the Anderson loss last year hit him because he had the MPs (were they even on his serve?). Now that was a loss I personally didn't care much about because I didn't think he was playing well enough in 2018 to win the tournament. But it seems he did. Having that in mind imagine losing after having held 2 Wimbledon CPs vs. Djokovic on his own serve and bottling it. Being only the second player in the Open Era to lose from such a position. After having played a great match.

The good:
- His form is still exceptional. I don't know how he does it, but he looks amazing. His groundgame is forceful, his return game rejuvenated. He might win another major if he can keep up that amazing ball-striking.

The bad:
- Unfortunately we don't know how long he can keep up this rich vein of form. At his age it must be incredibly difficult to hang on to it.

The ugly:
- He lost yet another "classic". AO 2017 might be the only example of a match where he managed to scrape out the win. That's why I cherish it so much. I wish Roger would have won more of those close dramas, because personally I didn't really care e.g. about the Wimbledon 2017 F aside from the fact that he won. This was a unique opportunity to beat Djokodal back2back on the greatest stage of them all and he couldn't capitalize on his chances. He might win another major, but it probably won't be after beating Djokodal in 2 classics. This could have been his greatest tournament if only for a big serve landing on 1 of the 2 MPs, a vindicating triumph - instead it ended in tragedy and disaster.

Obviously before the match we were all more or less accepting the idea of defeat, especially since he is soon-to-be 38. His age (and the efforts of the Nadal match) showed a little in his slightly deteriorating groundgame in the latter parts of the match. But after having seen the match and Roger being the better player for large parts of it (apart from the tiebreaks and the latter part of the 4th/ beginning of the 5th set), the loss is incredibly disappointing and the way he lost it from a winning position can't be excused by age imho.

I want to see him vs. Djokovic as soon as possible again. Maybe he can fail a little better then.
Great post. As much as I want him to face Djokovic again and beat him, I think I will booze myself to sleep despite not being into alcohol and skip the match altogether if and when they meet. I aged a decade the last 24 hours and ended up not getting any joy out of it.:lol:
I really wouldn't mind a Cilic or an Anderson level slam final if he gets one. Sooner rather than later I hope. Only a GS victory can erase such a monstrosity of a match.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I am at work today and still not able to take my mind off the match...not even able to do anything productive at work. For the first time in years, I have taken Roger off my laptop background hoping that it will atleast no longer remind me off the match whenever I look at my laptop background...gosh I never really felt like this after any sporting event. I just don't feel like watching tennis again...

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Roger's biggest problem is always that he tries to finish off the point quickly and get done with the thing asap whenever he has MP...that net approach on 2nd MP was just so so poor :facepalm:....he didn't even penetrate Novak's FH properly when he decided to go to net in that point. I just don't think Roger will move on easily from this loss...he never suffered a loss like this before.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Yes, he was back there trying to serve it out while I hadn't even had time to say "Okay, Roger, take it calm. Be cool and collected". Rushes things, and paid the price.

This is the guy who claims he doesn't look back at his matches, isn't it? I sometimes wonder if that's a mistake, and whether he should at least replay it a few days down the line, just to note what he did that was wrong (largely being too passive, rushing things and not getting his first serve in, in my book) in the hope of stopping himself repeating it.

So near, and yet so far. And so heartrending :(

:hug: :hug: all round.

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
I am at work today and still not able to take my mind off the match...not even able to do anything productive at work. For the first time in years, I have taken Roger off my laptop background hoping that it will atleast no longer remind me off the match whenever I look at my laptop background...gosh I never really felt like this after any sporting event. I just don't feel like watching tennis again...
It’s my 2nd day and I still Fed this way, I can’t stop thinking about it. I switched off my twitter notifications for the time being lol

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Not gonna lie, this match has genuinely left me feeling depressed. I've never felt that way before after a tennis or any sports match. Even after the US Open 15 final, which left me in ruins, the feeling wasn't exactly the same. I can't even get my mind of the damn match. For the first time ever, I don't have any desire to watch Federer play anymore. I honestly wouldn't care much if he announces his retirement tomorrow. I'm fucking depressed. I wish I wasn't so emotionally invested in him.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Not gonna lie, this match has genuinely left me feeling depressed. I've never felt that way before after a tennis or any sports match. Even after the US Open 15 final, which left me in ruins, the feeling wasn't exactly the same. For the first time ever, I don't have any desire to watch Federer play anymore. I honestly wouldn't care much if he announces his retirement tomorrow. I'm fucking depressed. I wish I wasn't so emotionally invested in him.
Oh Waz my saving grace was I did not watch the end. When it went to tiebreak in the 5th set my heart sank. I closed my eyes and let sleep take over. I knew it was over.

Normally I would want to rally your spirits but I still feel sh*t about it.
@Cloren I skipped all tweets about Wimbledon on my Twitter feed. My feed only recently include non tennis stuff. I feel a little more detached now.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Usually I forget a painful result quickly but this one stings more the longer it sinks in. I never felt this gutted! I just cannot wrap my head around this match. It is a nightmare!
I know there were many good things about the game but I stay depressed, I think it is quite possible that this wasted MP's cost him the GOAT-title in the end. Losing after having 2 CP's at Wimbledon against your main rival (besides Nadal). I cannot think of a more bitter defeat especially with regards to the whole history behind it.
I was impressed how Roger dealt with it afterwards but I dont believe he can move on easily from that. The Anderson defeat was nothing compared to this and I think once he fully realizes what happened it will affect him. I dont want to sound too negative but this was a horrible result for Roger. The stars were aligned perfectly and then it all went down the drain. And honestly it was on his racquet. He rushed the MP's. Also its not the first time Fed lost an important match after MP. It is a problem. :crying:

Probably from now on I will only watch his matches once I know the result. That was too much.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Would it help Federer to get himself a sports psychologist? Clearly Federer’s mentality in pressure situations is a big problem at times and has cost him many matches. Can a sports psychologist help him stay calm and maintain his focus in pressure situations?

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Last time Roger had a loss like this against Djokovic, he bounced back very strongly by winning Basel, Paris and WTF to end the 2011 season. However, I don't see him doing the same this time around. I think this loss will sting for a while. Do you guys feel the same way or not?

On a side note, I feel really bad now for calling Roger a loser after Sunday. I was quite critical of Federer and I regret it now, but the loss really hurt me a lot. It still does. But I can only imagine how much Federer is hurting. Poor Roger!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't usually post here.... but 4 days later I am still not over this loss. Agree with everyone above. Poor Roger... each day I look to see if he has said anything...He must be suffering.. Can't stop thinking about "if only"....also hoping the stars align again and the young ones take out the old ones ( apart from Roger) at the US ...

161 - 180 of 185 Posts