Mens Tennis Forums banner

181 - 185 of 185 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Last time Roger had a loss like this against Djokovic, he bounced back very strongly by winning Basel, Paris and WTF to end the 2011 season. However, I don't see him doing the same this time around. I think this loss will sting for a while. Do you guys feel the same way or not?

On a side note, I feel really bad now for calling Roger a loser after Sunday. I was quite critical of Federer and I regret it now, but the loss really hurt me a lot. It still does. But I can only imagine how much Federer is hurting. Poor Roger!
I don't think he will never get over this, nor that he needs a sports psychologist. Of course he is hurting, that is NORMAL. But he will move on in whatever way he is meant to move on (meaning: he will eventually get back to whatever life plan he had before this loss. Remember: he's about to turn 38, not 28).

You're all imbuing this loss with too much meaning. It's a loss, a tough & painful one, but it doesn't "mean" anything. It doesn't "undo" anything, it doesn't change anything.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I've just lost a treasured friend. In the early days of his illness, when we still thought he had a reasonable chance of still being with us several months down the line, he was saying how watching Roger playing at Wimbledon made him feel less bad. I now find myself doubly wishing the result of this match could have been reversed, for the pleasure it would have given my friend to see him win :(

Ultimately, though, it is just a tennis match, albeit an important one. There are far more important things in life.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
I've just lost a treasured friend. In the early days of his illness, when we still thought he had a reasonable chance of still being with us several months down the line, he was saying how watching Roger playing at Wimbledon made him feel less bad. I now find myself doubly wishing the result of this match could have been reversed, for the pleasure it would have given my friend to see him win :(

Ultimately, though, it is just a tennis match, albeit an important one. There are far more important things in life.
Condolences for your loss. :hug:

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Unfortunately, much like my other favourite sportsperson Zidane, Fed's career seems to have ended in tragedy and much like Zizou it's his own fault.

Hard to believe I invested so much of my life in some person I don't know. Somehow I think I would've been better if I didn't participate in tennis forums, the haters are unbearable.

Really can't find a silver lining to this defeat. The only positive was him setting the record straight with Nadal but that seems like a blur now. It's almost as if he's completely undone all his good work of solving the Nadal problem from 2017.

Still can't believe he could've screwed up this BAD after beating Nadal in the SF. One would've thought he would be going in confident to set the record straight against Djokovic but he ACTUALLY did THAT.

I can't see Fed coming back from this. I've actually lost interest in him now and there's no point watching him lose to nobodies in straight sets.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Last time Roger had a loss like this against Djokovic, he bounced back very strongly by winning Basel, Paris and WTF to end the 2011 season. However, I don't see him doing the same this time around. I think this loss will sting for a while. Do you guys feel the same way or not?

On a side note, I feel really bad now for calling Roger a loser after Sunday. I was quite critical of Federer and I regret it now, but the loss really hurt me a lot. It still does. But I can only imagine how much Federer is hurting. Poor Roger!
Fed doesn't deserve any sympathy for this defeat. When you play like a coward from ball 1, you deserve to lose.

I've always sympathised with Fed for all those painful defeats against Nadal in that 08-14 period because it just looked like no matter what Fed did he would lose because the matchup was so heavily in Nadal's favour.

But this is unforgivable. He has donated such a monumental match to DJ who isn't even that problematic for him gamewise specially on grass. He has beaten DJ in much tougher conditions like RG 11. How then can he repeatedly fail and flunk this bad mentally? Hasn't he learnt anything from his past 3 defeats, two in Wimbledon? It's just shocking that a player who has won 20 slams has no plan B whatsoever after losing one MP. He just completely falls like a pack of cards.

He has let down his family, his fans in the most unimaginable way. I mean christ man, if you're going to lose, atleast lose like a champion.

181 - 185 of 185 Posts