Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first tournament thread, so I hope Roger goes all the way.

Nadal is in his half, but Roger opens his campaign for a ninth trophy against 22-year-old Lloyd Harris of South Africa (ranked 87) in their first meeting.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Yay! Thanks for the thread.

I think his draw is a good one. If Nadal makes it deep for them to meet then it means Nadal is in form and dangerous but one match at a time. I like Roger’s chances.

Nine again Roger!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, his draw could easily have been worse. I'm more confident of his chances than I was last year.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
May your thread opening bring good fortune, its a great draw for Roger up to the Semis id say, likely to be Isner or Nishikori in the Quarters who are beatable id say. Still one match at a time!

·
Registered
965 Posts
The Halle win was huge in hindsight. Federer from 2017 would still have gone through the tough quarter that Nadal's facing, but this year, it felt imperative that he faced no hard hitting, big serving player early. Berretini/Isner might be a cause for some trouble if they tee off on the serve. But it looks highly likely that Federer makes the semis the least. While the potential final against Djokovic seems delectable, it also spells trouble considering he will go in surely as the underdog. But that's too far off to think. Federer has a chance to get another title. The draw is pretty favourable and now hope his level of play will follow suit. A bit of luck with Djokovic losing before the finals will do no harm...Wishful thinking...But lets see....

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
While the potential final against Djokovic seems delectable, it also spells trouble considering he will go in surely as the underdog. But that's too far off to think. Federer has a chance to get another title. The draw is pretty favourable and now hope his level of play will follow suit. A bit of luck with Djokovic losing before the finals will do no harm...Wishful thinking...But lets see....
Yeah 2014 and 2015 were both painful.
Novak is a special player, but Federer just did not bring it. He should have won one of the two.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yeah 2014 and 2015 were both painful.
Novak is a special player, but Federer just did not bring it. He should have won one of the two.
Federer's serve was special both tournaments. It got him out of trouble in '14 and was untouchable leading into the finals in '15. It was his baseline game that made it difficult for him. He's not serving as well, but his baseline play is much better. Just a read a stat that his second serve win percentage is the highest in his whole career. He will need that plus his relatively improved baseline play to topple the likes of Djokovic et al. Here is the list of top 5 seasons in terms of second serve points won.

2019 - 61.5%
2012 - 59.9%
2017 - 59.5%
2007 - 59.0%
2006 - 58.9%

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Federer's serve was special both tournaments. It got him out of trouble in '14 and was untouchable leading into the finals in '15. It was his baseline game that made it difficult for him. .......

2019 - 61.5%
2012 - 59.9%
2017 - 59.5%
2007 - 59.0%
2006 - 58.9%
I agree. But he can't win less than 80% on his 1st serve.
In Wimbledon 2018, he won 86.42% (leader in the tournament) of his 1st serves and 61.07% on his second serve. He was serving 67% 1st serves as well.
Wasn't enough :frown2:

EDIT: Sorry for all the negativity. Go Roger !!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I agree. But he can't win less than 80% on his 1st serve.
In Wimbledon 2018, he won 86.42% (leader in the tournament) of his 1st serves and 61.07% on his second serve. He was serving 67% 1st serves as well.
Wasn't enough :frown2:

EDIT: Sorry for all the negativity. Go Roger !!
Last year was a shocking anomaly in my opinion. Not taking anything away from Kevin, but Federer's level fell off a cliff after the first set in '18. He was lucky to clutch out the second and the rest is history. By Federer's own admission he's injury free and has come of a hard fought Halle win, so that should give him enough confidence. It's going to take a great performance to dislodge Federer this time around I feel.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Roger's swift campaign and by the end, hopefully, Roger's celebratory champagne! :lol:

On paper this looks like a most exciting two weeks. As a tennis fan, what more could you ask for? :yeah:

Thank you for opening the thread Ranne. I look forward to reading it and participating in this little Fedfan corner of MTF because GM is just absolute detritus so far. :ras:

Go Rog! :cheerleader:

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
For entertainment purposes while we're waiting for the great lawns of Wimbledon to become fully occupied I thought I'd share fantastic video highlights I've found of Roger's 2015 R4 match. I assume you've all watched the highlights of the semis but these are a real gem, one of those matches. It's just pure artistry combined with magnificent ball striking and dismantling of the opponent's predictable patterns. Enjoy!

/i9GA9ioHZyk

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Thanks for the thread! :yeah: :cheerleader:
Here's the draw:

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
This is the first year I have not taken leave to watch Wimbledon. I hope I would still get a chance to watch some matches but in absent I would very appreciate reports from you kind folks here :smile2:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Berretini will take Coric's spot with the latter pulling out. And Struff has been bumped up to the upper quarter. Berretini might be a bother considering his rich vein of form coming in. But so was Struff with his big serve and powerful forehand. Goffin dismantled him in Halle though and returned well of both wings. Federer who's probably the best in the world returning big serves will need to do the same if they are to meet.

·
Registered
965 Posts
For entertainment purposes while we're waiting for the great lawns of Wimbledon to become fully occupied I thought I'd share fantastic video highlights I've found of Roger's 2015 R4 match. I assume you've all watched the highlights of the semis but these are a real gem, one of those matches. It's just pure artistry combined with magnificent ball striking and dismantling of the opponent's predictable patterns. Enjoy!

/i9GA9ioHZyk
I actually happened to watch it a week ago, when Federer played RBA at Halle..Its interesting that the first set in Halle was similar to the whole match. And then RBA came into his own the 2nd and the 3rd. Federer the last two years is content trading ground strokes against aggressive baseliners and isn't as uber-aggressive as he was in '15. He still hogs the baseline tight but doesn't come in that often especially in moments he can to finish the point at the net. RBA would have made it close still but not sure if it would have been that tense. It will be interesting how this pattern of play in Federer holds up this year.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for that, GMMT. I particularly enjoyed the Swiss-German part. :D

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Thanks for that, GMMT. I particularly enjoyed the Swiss-German part. :D
I too like to pretend I know what he's talking about as I listen to his charming vocalizations as he switches from French to Swiss-German. :angel:

On the other hand, I can't help notice his reserved and slightly annoyed mood in today's presser but let's consider it a good omen considering he went in there last year all cheerful and the rest I shan't recant. :drink:

I also hope they don't bother him too much about the player council stuff in the coming days tbh (they did ask him about it but in swiss-german). :eek:

I assume you've all watched the highlights of the semis but these are a real gem, one of those matches.
Speaking of which, just noticed they took down all of the highlights of that semi vs Murray but videos of both the 14 and 15 finals and the 12 finals are all still up.

They really seem to be butthurt about the straightset masterclass so hopefully more of those to come. :grin2:

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I too like to pretend I know what he's talking about as I listen to his charming vocalizations as he switches from French to Swiss-German. :angel:

On the other hand, I can't help notice his reserved and slightly annoyed mood in today's presser but let's consider it a good omen considering he went in there last year all cheerful and the rest I shan't recant. :drink:

I also hope they don't bother him too much about the player council stuff in the coming days tbh. :eek:
Really you think? I thought it was just his ordinary „I have to answer the same 1000 boring questions for the 100th time“ mood.
No seriously he was so freakishly happy last year that it felt unnatural and one maybe even could think that he’s hiding something. Turned out he indeed carried hs minor hand injury around which weakened his forehand... this Time he’s hopefully 100% healthy but nothing would tell otherwise so I’m very optimistic

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Roger will play tomorrow at some time when I'm at work or on my way there... oh well, good luck, Roger. :cheerleader:

1 - 20 of 185 Posts