Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
22,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to revive some old scars, Fedal fans but there is no tennis right now anyway and I saw this gif and found it a bit triggering but hilarious at the same time.

What were Fedal thinking by hitting those approach shots? Ideally they should have forced Djokovic to hit a winner from the back of the court. Federer approach wasn’t necessarily stupid but the FH lacked pop and was too central but Nadal oh my god, it’s much worse, going cross court when the better option would have been going down the line, besides he was more solid on the baseline in that match too, golden chance missed 😅

Gotta give Djokovic a lot of credit here, he has scarred Fedal so much mentally that he made lose their shit and brainlessly net rush like Roddick on extremely crucial points. With Federer it’s not surprising, but Nadal doing the same 😅 The dominance Djokovic has had over Fedal since 2014 especially on the mental side it’s insane and I don’t think they‘ll ever turn it around because Djokovic is much better than them physically.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
In Rogie's case approach was on point.But in Rafa's...

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
In Rogie's case approach was on point.But in Rafa's....
It wasn't on point, didn't have much power, or wasn't too close to the line. With his movement, if you're going to the net against Djokovic you have to do much better.

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
I think Djokovic is super deceptive, because one moment he is doing the splits on the backhand side and yelling "AGghh!" And then 2 seconds later he is already on the forehand side on the ball when you think you have him on the ropes.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Fred's approach is classic Rodduck, but even peak Rodduck would have had it hard to beat Nadal's approach.

Let's summarise the situation. Nadal hit the previous backhand deep, Djokovic responded with a short forehand cross court. Nadal had time to go DTL and at least make Djokovic to move to his backhand side. With a bit of luck he could've mishit the shot to land really short to really trouble Djokovic.

What did Nadal do instead? a) He hit a medium-paced shot, which didn't give him much time to position himself at the net. Even Rodduck had dignity to hit a slice backhand approach (maybe because he couldn't hit a backhand until 2009). b) He hit it to Djokovic's forehand, where Djokovic was already moving. This copies Rodduck perfectly. c) He hit it short, so it landed perfectly into Djokovic's hitting zone. Again, Rodduck copyright claim.

Deer in the headlights:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
if you're going to the net against Djokovic you have to do much better.
U don't say?
I mean in this certain situation(cause of his serve on 40-30) there were not so many other options,he had to.
In Rafa's case he had advantage in that rally and didn't have to go to the net like that...

·
Registered
22,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nadal’s case is definitely even more stupid and mind-boggling, with Federer it may have not been the right tactic, but you can mainly say it was also a matter of execution that failed, with Nadal it was not only poor execution but just a totally stupid brainless move on his part.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
That is called trying to force the play, not making a mistake on a crucial point when it is harder to come up with a winner.
another u don't say
This would actually work against most player but not necessarily against someone like Djokovic.
Yeah....I forgot again,remind me against whom he was playing?

Love these kind of comments...Just.Pointless.Classic

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Poor approach by Federer but there was absolutely no guarantee Djokovic was going to make that pass. He'd just been broken the previous game, he was MP down, and his form was spotty through the whole match. If he'd hit a poor pass into the net it would be match over and everybody forgets the poor approach. But he's Djokovic and can still pull out a winner at any moment. Fed gambled and lost, big deal - its happened a million times in tennis.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
another u don't say

Yeah....I forgot again,remind me against whom he was playing?

Love these kind of comments...Just.Pointless.Classic
Actually this is just how it works and most player will force the play and yes most player would make a mistake seeing Federer at the net, down championship point.

Watched again it was a pretty poor approach from Nadal but it was a VERY intense tiebreak, there could have been some fatigue creeping in.

·
Registered
22,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually this is just how it works and most player will force the play and yes most player would make a mistake seeing Federer at the net, down championship point.

Watched again it was a pretty poor approach from Nadal but it was a VERY intense tiebreak, there could have been some fatigue creeping in.
no tb

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Not sure why i thought this was during the tiebreak lol. That tiebreak was so intense it blurred my memory...

Was just a poor approach shot from Nadal, he possibly thought it was a better shot than that when he hit it.

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
The thing is Rafa had a few BP's already which were over after the serve. He was on the backfoot first in this rally, then for the first time landed in a neutral rally.

He freaked and wanted to make the immediate best out of it, but it was not the right time. Difficult to get a solid approach out of that spot.

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
Brainless net rushers, you Fedal! Rodduck would be proud of you!

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
That is called trying to force the play, not making a mistake on a crucial point when it is harder to come up with a winner.

This would actually work against most player but not necessarily against someone like Djokovic.
Who else like Djokovic? :LOL:

Jokes aside, I do hold the view that Djokovic's passing shots have been also better then Fedal's since 2014. With his anticipating ability he always found this weapon at some crucial points to turn it around. Exactly as in these key matches, at these key moments... winning 2 WBs thereby.

Reactions: 2MatchPointsDown

·
Registered
4,684 Posts

It’s amazing to observe the ‘what ifs’, ‘could/should haves’ emanating from Fedalbots when it involves matches vs their preeminent nemesis but the bottom line is if u couldn’t get it done when Novak was still recovering from surgery at WB18 or mentally out of sorts at WB19, it ain’t happening for Fedal going into the future vs defending champ at WB where he has the athletic advantage over Fed & the tennis IQ level over Nadal.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Fed was a bit spooked by history really....that and not finding one more ace on those match points.

If we remember 2012 final the mp was similar but Murray hit wide when Fed approached. Indeed Murray won 2016 Wimbledon by an approach although that was low to Raonic's BH and a feeble shot into the net was much more likely than a winner.

Probably Fed should've trusted himself a bit more in a 10-15 shot rally as he was winning plenty of them in the final and also against Nadal, his overall play was very strong in Wimbledon 2019.

First MP he went for a winner from the return when he probably should've sliced back but not a fan of the approach either.

Nadal I have more sympathy for. Probably wasn't the correct tactic either but not remembering the point that well, I was expecting Nole to pass down the other side. That was a very good passing shot considering he had less of that side of the court to aim for than what he faced in the Federer moment.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Nadal I have more sympathy for. Probably wasn't the correct tactic either but not remembering the point that well, I was expecting Nole to pass down the other side. That was a very good passing shot considering he had less of that side of the court to aim for than what he faced in the Federer moment.
Yeah, the one vs Federer was kinda predictable, but the one vs Nadal was simply brilliant and well-executed.

Reactions: 2MatchPointsDown

·
6,609 Posts
Both of those passing shots could have gone down the line as well, it more likely would have at the AO, but Wimbledon the footwork is slightly different.
Have a look at the crushings of Fedal at the 2016 and 2019 AOs respectively.
Federer also butchered his 1st match point at Wimbledon going for a clean winner, that didn't need to be that good.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts