Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the top players, there's a good reason why they won't win it.

Djokovic may still be shellshocked from RG and grass isn't his best surface.

Federer is likely done winning slams

Murray struggles on the big stage and is a pigeon of both Novak and Roger

Rafa is a mug on grass

Wawrinka isn't great on grass

Cilic is a fluky slam winner

Del Potro is injured

Hewitt is way too old and peaked way too early in his career

So basically of the 8 active slam winners there is a good reason why they won't win it? But also there is no clear new name to go on the trophy? Dimitrov? Surely not.

If you hold a gun to my head I'd say Murray and Djokovic will make the final and Novak will win it but really could go one of many ways

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
There is no reason why should Nike, Kia and other Fedal's sponsors change Wimb.'14 draw considerably this year.

So it means that Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga, Berdych, Cilic, Dimitrov shall be in upper half, whereas Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka, Nishikori, Ferrer in the other.

So it leave us with Federer or Wawrinka finalist from bottom half and tired finalist from the upper whatever his name.

If Brits can forgive OBE for being Scot then they could put him there in Fedal's half, though, instead of Wawrinka, so practically with an invitation to the SF or even F should Federer lose before i.e. Murray as the finalist 99 %.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
No1e to win it. His losses on RG in 2013 and 2014 were more devastating an he still did quite good on Wimbledon.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Did you just include Hewitt in a discussion regarding Wimbledon win?

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
No1e to win it. His losses on RG in 2013 and 2014 were more devastating an he still did quite good on Wimbledon.
Strangely for once Chico has something right. Nole went out to tough loss in 2013 and reached the final in Wimby and After 2014 RG, he won Wimby. I think he willl among the top fav again to win it.

The "openness" of the draw will purely depend on the draw.

As much as it feels sad to say, Rafa is a non-factor on grass unless he has a kind draw. :sobbing:

And Hewitt :spit:

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
Typical MTF overreaction. Nole is the biggest favorite by far, Murray has a decent chance, a few other players could do it if they have the best two weeks of their life but it's not very likely.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
nothing open,

Odds will be like 1.20 on Supreme Leader
Odds on "Fedalray" fans uniting this time is even better. 1.01 on Supreme Unity it seems.

·
Registered
993 Posts

Rafa is a mug on grass

Del Potro is injured

So basically of the 8 active slam winners there is a good reason why they won't win it? But also there is no clear new name to go on the trophy? Dimitrov? Surely not.

If you hold a gun to my head I'd say Murray and Djokovic will make the final and Novak will win it but really could go one of many ways

lol 2 wimbledon, and 3 time runner up.

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
OP is right, it will be the most open slam in years.

Bold prediction: neither Djokovic nor Murray will win it. :devil:

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
lol 2 wimbledon, and 3 time runner up.
:lol: bombing out vs Rosol in 2012 R2, vs Darcis in 2013 R1 and vs Kyrgios in 2014 R4.

Typical fanboying without any base, neglecting last years' form.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
No1e was very lucky last year for not having to play the 5th set against Dimitrov (squandered four or five set points in tb and before it I guess) and Stepanek.

With 5-setter against Cilic and those two above he would've lost the 5th set against Federer.

This year they will fix the same draw again, the hardest one for Djokovic, and the easiest possible for Fedal, so it will be very hard for Djokovic to escape two or three 5-setters before the F again.

With Wawrinka or Murray (should they put OBE in Fedal's easy half instead) who could make it to the finals from that easy half without breaking a sweat and tired Djokovic (as after Wimb.'13 SF 5-setter with Delpo) my money would not be on his side.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts

Rafa is a mug on grass

Del Potro is injured

really? you put only murray and nole as the fav vs 7 times champ?

fed has a lot more chance in reaching or winning than murray.

my top fav our nole/fed/murray
either can win the other in a good day so pretty open

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
I like the random Hewitt inclusion into the topic

·
Registered
993 Posts
:lol: bombing out vs Rosol in 2012 R2, vs Darcis in 2013 R1 and vs Kyrgios in 2014 R4.

Typical fanboying without any base, neglecting last years' form.

who cares, stan lost last year in first round in the french, at the end of the day what matters is how many you win and not how many times you lose... Nadal is the second best grass player in activity, obviously not in best shape, but he knows how to play there,.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hewitt is there for the same reason as Cilic and JMDP. I mentioned all active slam winners.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
People always seem to think Wimbledon will have a surprise winner but it's the only slam that doesn't have a non big 4 winner in the past 10 years. In fact, it's been since 2002 when Hewitt won and he was on top at the time so the last surprise winner was actually Ivanisevic in 2001, something of an anomaly considering Sampras's 7 wimbledons in 8 years prior to that. Nadal at the French (which is reaching its conclusion) aside, Wimbledon tends to be the slam with the least surprises overall.

That being said, I'm obviously rooting for anyone other than Federer, Djokovic, Murray or Nadal unless that players name is Ferrer but he should get exposed in the early rounds.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts