Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's always conversation about Djokovic getting bad draws or unlucky ones. With that said this recent run at Wimbledon 2015 has caught my attention. I think among the 9 slams he's won, this one is arguably the most difficult one he's pulled off.

In 2014, he had Golubev (1strd), Stepanek (QFst), Simon (QFst), Tsonga (SFst), Cilic (QFst), Dimitrov (SFst), and Federer. Of these opponents Golubev and Simon are usually weaker on grass than other surfaces. Golubev was by far the most easiest opponent. Stepanek is a good opponent on grass thanks to his SV, efficient movement, and decent net play. Tsonga, Cilic, and Dimitrov are definite dangers on this suface with Cilic probably being an even bigger threat on fast hard court like the U.S. Open. Federer is Federer.

Now fast forward to 2015, Djokovic has Kohlschreiber (QFst), Nieminen (QFst), Tomic (QFst), Anderson (Queen's runner up, 4th round) Cilic (QFst), Gasquet (SFst), and Federer. Nearly all these guys have tasted success on this surface or tournament with many reaching the quarterfinals, and in the case of Kevin Anderson, ending up as a runner up at Queens to Andy Murray and then following up by nearly giving Djokovic a big scare in the 4th round.

Kohlschreiber is a nightmare of an opponent to have in the 1st round when compared to a mug like Golubev. Stepanek is obviously more trickier than the veteran Nimienen whose level never really elevates. Simon wasn't as good in 2014 as he was in 2015 though his 2014 form was still better than Tomic's 2015 form. While Tsonga is a much bigger talent than Anderson, Anderson was in the zone and was playing lights out tennis against Djokovic this season. Cilic was the same opponent in last year's QF, though this time he showed up in poor form. Dimitrov and Gasquet were decent opponents with Dimitrov being a bigger threat in 2014. Federer's form in 2015 was superior to Federer in 2014 considering the high % serving, opponents barely able to break him, averaging nearly 1 hour and a half per match, this Federer was idealized as arguably a bigger danger than the one in 2014.

Djokovic had a more difficult time in 2014 in comparison to 2015. With that said thanks to improving his service games, his volleying, and even taking his talented return game to newer heights, he made 2015 manageable. This is one run/tournament to be greatly remembered after turning around a two set deficit (both tie breaks 6-8 losses a piece) to defeat a big server in Kevin Anderson and eventually handling a hot and hungry Roger Federer in 4 sets.

How did you guys evaluate this run? Also, will Djokovic top this grand slam run at Australia, Roland Garros, this year's U.S. Open or future Wimbledons? Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I think Us Open 2011 when he had to beat Niland, Berlocq, Davydenko, Dolgopolov (22), Tipsarevic (20), Federer (3) and Nadal (2) was tougher.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recall some moments in that tournament quite vividly. The first two opponents were weak, I didn't pay attention to Niland and Berlocq. Davydenko is a guy whose been to the SFs of that tournament 2x, usually a powerful opponent on any hard court and not fun to have in the 3rd round yet Djokovic did well to take care of him in straight sets, Dolgopolov was very annoying especially in that first set, him and his drop shots and weird shot making abilities, but the final rounds were quite interesting...Tipsarevic actually showed up in the first two sets playing like a beast, heavy shots were fired during their long intense rallies, really played like a titan in those rallies, eventually burned out and finally retired with some kind of injury, great shame...Federer showed up to dominate the first 2 sets before running out of gas, while Nadal still couldn't figure out Djokovic, did well to avoid getting straight setted by forcing the tiebreaker.

Perhaps if the first two opponents were better players, it would have been a more difficult run IMHO...

·
Registered
56 Posts
is this thread for real?
AO-11
Almagro-Berdych-Federer-Murray

·
Registered
159 Posts
Kohlschreiber, Tomic, Cilic and similar mugs maybe look like hard opponents but in reality they have zero chance. His only real opponent was Federer and he was routined so this Wimbledon was quite easy for him.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I recall some moments in that tournament quite vividly. The first two opponents were weak, I didn't pay attention to Niland and Berlocq. Davydenko is a guy whose been to the SFs of that tournament 2x, usually a powerful opponent on any hard court and not fun to have in the 3rd round yet Djokovic did well to take care of him in straight sets, Dolgopolov was very annoying especially in that first set, him and his drop shots and weird shot making abilities, but the final rounds were quite interesting...Tipsarevic actually showed up in the first two sets playing like a beast, heavy shots were fired during their long intense rallies, really played like a titan in those rallies, eventually burned out and finally retired with some kind of injury, great shame...Federer showed up to dominate the first 2 sets before running out of gas, while Nadal still couldn't figure out Djokovic, did well to avoid getting straight setted by forcing the tiebreaker.

Perhaps if the first two opponents were better players, it would have been a more difficult run IMHO...
Dolgopolov was very good in the first, 16-14 in the tie-break was a nailbiter, even had setpoints, got broken early in the second and didn't stand a chance anymore despite still playing very good in the second set. Tipsarevic was playing amazing untill his injury, was redlining like crazy, such a joy to watch when on fire. Federer match was epic, MP against, huge balls, Djoker firing up the crowd and the history knowing that he did exactly the same the year before when facing MP made it just unbelievable. Nadal finals match Djoker was at the top of his game, I have never seen such a dominant performance against a Nadal who despite the scoreline saying otherwise, actually played great.

·
Administrator
6,249 Posts
No, not really close either imo. Kohlschrieber is obviously an awful R1 draw and Anderson was a solid R4 opponent, the rest was nothing remarkable though. Cilic is in poor form this year so wasn't too tough for a QF opponent this Wimbledon, and Gasquet in the semifinals...

Compare with some of his AO titles (Federer-Murray and Murray-Nadal, or even Wawrinka-Berdych-Ferrer-Murray) USO 2011 (Federer-Nadal) or even last year's Wimbledon.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Its tough because he is not young like 2011.

Wimbledon 2015 he only faced a decent player anderson and Olderer without legs in the final.

Even going to 5 against anderson is debatable too. He made it tough himself hitting very short and choking TBs.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I still sometimes watch Nole-Fed USO 2011 SF. First 2 sets of Federer were maybe the best I ever seen anybody play, and vs top opponent who also played well.

Hardest slam for Djokovic was Ao 2012,obviosly.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I still sometimes watch Nole-Fed USO 2011 SF. First 2 sets of Federer were maybe the best I ever seen anybody play, and vs top opponent who also played well.
Thing about 2011 is that all of the top 4 played amazingly, I mean Fed beating Djoker in the RG SF with an out of this world serve still gives me nightmares. SF US Open he played some of the best tennis in his career, Nadal getting to so many finals, Murray reaching a final and 3 SF's at the 4 slams, the SF he played against Djoker in Rome masters etc. Just an historic year man.:worship:

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is this thread for real?
AO-11
Almagro-Berdych-Federer-Murray
I have mixed feelings about this one.

Opponents in the run: Granollers, Dodig, Troicki, Almagro, Berdych, Federer, and Murray.

Taking a look at their respective positions, Granollers seems to be a strange player, he's a pretty big dude but his ground strokes are not that impressive. Australia isn't his best tournament/surface either. Dodig is a guy whose decent on faster surfaces, sometimes very aggressive, Troicki is a bit of a choker and quite literally gave Djokovic a somewhat decent bye into the next round, Almagro is an excellent opponent at Australia and Roland Garros, probably favor him much more here than Roland Garros considering his dangerous backhand and his more offensive-minded manner. There were great expectations from Berdych (powerful baseliner), Federer (defending champion), and Murray (finalist).

Let's compare it to the Wimbledon 2015 tournament. Kohlschreiber>>> Granollers, no contest. Dodig>>>>Nieminen IMHO...actually the only player who took the only set off Djokovic in that particular tournament, Troicki and Tomic both piss off fans with that said there's no doubt Tomic is much more talented and dangerous and actually played the match rather than retire, Kevin Anderson's performance at Wimbledon was superior to Almagro's against Djokovic in this tournament, so in regard to the earlier rounds, Wimbledon was much more challenging than Australia. Now looking at the QF and beyond...Cilic challenged Djokovic last year but if we concentrate on this year's quality, Berdych showed up with a higher rank (6) and with much better form in Australia than Cilic in this year's Wimbledon, regardless of the straight set disappointing loss to Djokovic, I'll give this one to Berdych in terms of potentially being the bigger danger. Comparing Federer to Gasquet, Federer was defending champion, so he'll take it there. Comparing Andy Murray (finalist in 2010) to Federer (finalist in 2014), there's no doubt Federer was the bigger danger since he pushed Djokovic to 5 last year and this year showed up with near-perfect form in all his matches.

Conclusion, in regard to difficulty, 2015 Wimbledon is >>>>>>>>>>>. than 2011 Australian Open. In terms of quality ass kicking however, Australia will take it considering Djokovic dropped 1 set in the tournament and yet straight setted 3 guys in solid form in the top 8 in that respective year.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Federer played 2011 superbly. As did 2012. Only problem, Nadal and Djokovic both hit their best time for great achievements. Still, he was No.1 17 weeks+ won Wimbledon. More than it was expected.

Interesting note-Djokovic choked all 3 lost TB in this Wimbledon.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Surely too much effort has gone into this for it to be a troll thread...? Australian Open 2012? (Plus presumably nearly every other slam he's won! :lol:)

Conclusion, in regard to difficulty, 2015 Wimbledon is >>>>>>>>>>>. than 2011 Australian Open.
:spit:

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2012 Australia is indeed interesting. Compared with the 2015 Wimbledon:

Kohlschreiber> Lorenzi
Nieminen > Giraldo
Tomic> Mahut
Anderson> Hewitt (In regard to performance)
Cilic< Ferrer (Ferrer on form and rank was probably better that year)
Gasquet< Murray
Federer < Nadal

As you see here, in the early going, the opponents Djokovic faced in Wimbledon were of higher quality.
Yet as both tournaments progressed, the final round opponents at Australia were superior to the ones he
faced at Wimbledon.

Take into account that he lost 5 sets in Australia compared to 3 sets in Wimbledon, especially going toe to toe with Nadal in the final (top shape unlike Federer whose past his prime), a solid argument can be made that this 2012 Australian Open is indeed the most difficult slam tournament Djokovic has endured.

·
29,645 Posts
After looking at all 3, yeah, Australia 2012.
The only thing that lets AO '12 down is punching bag Ferrer as a QF.

Murray played out of his skin and so did Nadal- taking into account their best forms, it's got to be that event.

USO'11 has a case. Davydenko 3R, Dolgopolov 4R and a Tipsarevic who played GOAT tennis for two sets and still only won one > ancient Hewitt and Ferrer perhaps. and Federer > Murray no matter how brilliant AM was in that AO semi-final.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
No. AO 12, USO 11, were way tougher.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts