Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MTF loves a good nostalgic thread and with Wimbledon around the corner I was thinking of the lack of shocks in first week for last few years. Guess 2013 with Nadal and Federer falling in first two rounds was last major shockwave tournament at SW19.

Anyway given all Buda's mini meltdowns at opponents failing to capitalise against Fed, this match always sticks in my mind:

BBC Sport - Tennis - Wimbledon: Roger Federer-Alejandro Falla as it happened

I remember the afternoon. Went into Birmingham (UK) for a bit of shopping and about 3pm looked at my phone in disbelief that Fed was somehow two sets down on opening day. Then did what anyone in shock at a Sports score would do....and went into the nearest bookies. I timed it to actually see Falla serve for the match and it all just became too much for him.

My mind is playing tricks as I always thought Falla did that in third set but seems it was 4th. What's impressive is his level didn't drop much in 3rd which was tight set and then 4th he was up 3-5 so really insane level he played for nearly 4 sets. Then got a souvenir bagel in the fifth to take home to Colombia.

Looking back the guy did have some good results at Wimbledon. Beat Davydenko in 2006 and Isner and Mahut in 2012 (only time he made 3rd round).

Fed learnt his lesson. Last time he dropped a set in Wimbledon 1st round was......2010.

Considering at the time he'd reached seven straight Wimbledon finals and won six of them I reckon that would've ranked as biggest Wimbledon shock opening week shock since Samparas lost to George Bastl in 2002.

Any more memories of that match?

·
Banned
584 Posts
the most interesting thing that Falla had Fed 3 times on a ropes on grass during his career. But this one tops OG and Halle final.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I was on centre court that day. Had two tickets between four of us. I was watching for the first two sets and then swapped out with the others.

Long story short - it was my fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was on centre court that day. Had two tickets between four of us. I was watching for the first two sets and then swapped out with the others.

Long story short - it was my fault.

Did you have time limit on ticket? (surely that's at end of match, not sets).

I'd have told my mates to f*** off tbh at 2 sets up. Chance to watch some random Colombian guy on verge of knocking out (at the time) six time champion isn't something I'd have been in a hurry to rush away from.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I didn’t follow tennis carefully back then, but somehow this match I got a hold of. Of course I only saw the final result because we didn’t have digital tv let alone sky back then so I had no possibility to watch Wimbledon. But after he had won it in 2009 I somehow knew after this match that he wouldn’t win it that year.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Falla also had 3 BPs at 4-4 in third set (think that's where I got confused with thinking he served for it in 3rd set) and even after being broken to love at 5-4 up in fourth he still managed to have another break point chance in next game so could've had another chance to serve for it.

He lost to Federer in the Halle final that year 6-1, 6-2.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The best thing about Falla was how composed he was throughout the match. Even when he went 2 sets up there was no OTT celebrations, not even a slight fist pump. Or even when he lost the break in the 4th and went down a break in the 5th- no hint of frustration.He just went about playing the next point calmly. Great character on display.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Falla also had 3 BPs at 4-4 in third set (think that's where I got confused with thinking he served for it in 3rd set) and even after being broken to love at 5-4 up in fourth he still managed to have another break point chance in next game so could've had another chance to serve for it.

He lost to Federer in the Halle final that year 6-1, 6-2.
That match was second round not the final. He lost the Halle final to him in 2014 in two tiebreaks

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
A prime Roger Federer only lost 3 games to Alejandro Falla at Wimbledon in 2004.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
The best thing about Falla was how composed he was throughout the match. Even when he went 2 sets up there was no OTT celebrations, not even a slight fist pump. Or even when he lost the break in the 4th and went down a break in the 5th- no hint of frustration.He just went about playing the next point calmly. Great character on display.
I think weak character was on display.

Probably should have gotten more emotionally involved to develop bigger inner strength/resistance, and then he actually would have won.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Did you have time limit on ticket? (surely that's at end of match, not sets).

I'd have told my mates to f*** off tbh at 2 sets up. Chance to watch some random Colombian guy on verge of knocking out (at the time) six time champion isn't something I'd have been in a hurry to rush away from.

To be fair, the one I swapped with got the tickets through the ballot and I tagged along and got a ground pass. By rights he could have made me sit on the outside courts all day.

Djokovic also played five sets with Oliver Rochus on centre court that day. Finished at 11pm. Got my money’s worth that day!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts