Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As injuries have taken their toll and people like Djokovic have tweaked their game to stop him dominating against them it's clear now Nadal 3.0 has to shorten points and over the last 18 months we've seen a more aggressive Nadal playing closer to the baseline. The myth that Rafa could not play on quick surfaces could maybe be applied to Nadal 2.0 or v1 but performances of late at Montreal, Cincy and USO dispel that myth, in stark contrast to the 2014 performances at Indian Wells, Rome and MC which play a lot slower.

Solid defence is something frowned upon by many of 'speed up the courts' brigade but it got me thinking whether we will ever seen a tennis player defend as well as Nadal 2005-2011?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
NO NO NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
As injuries have taken their toll and people like Djokovic have tweaked their game to stop him dominating against them it's clear now Nadal 3.0 has to shorten points and over the last 18 months we've seen a more aggressive Nadal playing closer to the baseline. The myth that Rafa could not play on quick surfaces could maybe be applied to Nadal 2.0 or v1 but performances of late at Montreal, Cincy and USO dispel that myth, in stark contrast to the 2014 performances at Indian Wells, Rome and MC which play a lot slower.

Solid defence is something frowned upon by many of 'speed up the courts' brigade but it got me thinking whether we will ever seen a tennis player defend as well as Nadal 2005-2011?
LOL no , don't make me prove that you're wrong.

I LOVE SOLID DEFENCE but not when EVERYONE can defend cause of slow conditions. I like defencive-counterpunching on hard court when done properly it's beautiful.
DEFENCE goes far beyond stamina and such cliche things... one of the most overlooked defense skills is when the defender KNOWS and makes correct guesses where his opponent will strike. Sometimes you need to chase the ball when someone blasts you off the court you retrieve the ball and insantaniously cover up the other (open) part of the court , sometimes you just make 2-3 steps back in the court and stay there (in case the opponent wants to hit it 'behind' you). This ability is a true MARK of good defence for me cause everyone can increase his endurance and stamine (to a certain level) but this skill is a 100% tennis skill. It best shows itself when the opponent is about to hit a smash and the player chooses to which side he'll run.

OF COURSE this ability is SHOWED more again on FASTER courts , cause on slow courts you can wait the opponents strike and then run to get the ball.
i.e.

SLOW conditions require more NON-tennis skills
FAST conditions require more Tennis skills

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Nadal forum. Also novak defends better on Hc.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

We already see defense just as good, if not better, on hard-court. ;)

All things being equal, he is the best defender in tennis.

·
Your visions will happen
47,127 Posts
The game will always continue to evolve

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
I find it hard to believe that somewhere, at some point down the line, there will not be a player with better defense than Nadal.
Nadal does not have a better defensive game than Djokovic on any surface bearing clay. Time to get real fella.

...and the OP is talking rubbish about people tweaking their game for Djokovic, Novak choked away the US Open title last year and came into the French Open final with a virus related illness and simply didn't mention anything because he didn't want to give Nadal and his camp a lift going into the contest. :yeah:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Also, Federer has (or rather had) better defense on grass than Nadal.
Murray has a better defensive game on grass than Federer IMO, but it's probably very marginal.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

We already see defense just as good, if not better, on hard-court. ;)

All things being equal, he is the best defender in tennis.
ehhhh arguably Nadal and Djokovic have pretty close defenses on HC....

overall Nadal is by far the best defender on the sport, overall stat wise, and universally on all surfaces

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Djokovic's defense is better on hardcourt and is just as good on grass. On clay it's obviously Nadal. Overall I'd say Nadal, but not by a massive margin.

Murray's comes close, especially on hardcourt.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
ehhhh arguably Nadal and Djokovic have pretty close defenses on HC....

overall Nadal is by far the best defender on the sport, overall stat wise, and universally on all surfaces
You go girl. :yeah:

I disagree, but you're a cool poster. :haha:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Nadal forum :zzz:
This.

If you are being entirely impartial, you know it's Djokovic.

Nadal cannot defend the same way on his backhand side, as he can on his forehand. That's been a demonstrated FACT for over several years now and so therefore dunno what the debate is.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts