Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Wawrinka "pull a Bartoli" ?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally hate knee-jerk reactions but i'm curious about what you have in mind... do you think is it possible for Wawrinka to pull a Bartoli and that is to retire soon?

Bartoli did it last year after she won Wimbledon, she didn't even wait for US Open and retired like 1 month after her first slam shocking the tennis world. She said that she accomplished her dream and i think she realised she wasn't going too far from there on so she decided to retire. Though she also mentioned physical issues as biggest reason for her retirement as she had to deal with injuries quite a bit in her career

They're both almost the same age so at least that's similar :lol: What's your opinion on this? Is Wawrinka a guy who could beat anyone and have consistent enough results to win another slam? Or should he stop now that he won one and he can't accomplish any better?

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Probably a long shot but it does look like Stan has lost that fire he had at the AO and last year. He looked like he didn't even care out there today.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Nah, Marion was just in pain every time she stepped into the court and didn't see any reason to keep playing, Stan is just playing crap because of nerves, but he still won Monte Carlo a month ago.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
I normally hate knee-jerk reactions but i'm curious about what you have in mind... do you think is it possible for Wawrinka to pull a Bartoli and that is to retire soon?

Bartoli did it last year after she won Wimbledon, she didn't even wait for US Open and retired like 1 month after her first slam shocking the tennis world. She said that she accomplished her dream and i think she realised she wasn't going too far from there on so she decided to retire. Though she also mentioned physical issues as biggest reason for her retirement as she had to deal with injuries quite a bit in her career

They're both almost the same age so at least that's similar :lol: What's your opinion on this? Is Wawrinka a guy who could beat anyone and have consistent enough results to win another slam? Or should he stop now that he won one and he can't accomplish any better?
we've already had this discussion, the answer is no.

The biggest thing with marion was that injuries caught up with her. She was injured in winning wimbledon but gutted it out. it got to a point where, over the course of a year she was healthy maybe a hand full of times. She realized she couldnt do it anymore, her body couldnt hold up. Im almost certain that if she could have got through the remainder of that season injury free she would have been playing right now. Stan is healthy, he just needs time to properly adjust to the new pressure and expectations.

Its not uncommon for slam winner to go on slumps after the win. the vitriol and hate stan has got on here since winning and struggling is rediculous and undeserved.Although i can only imagine what it will be like next year when he fails to defend

·
Registered
593 Posts
That would indeed be a dream come true. But I don't see it happening.

·
23,064 Posts
(I think we had a thread on that before.)

Anyway, the thing is Stan is fully fit from what I see (although, I feel that he wasn't moving that well on his tournaments, although someone could debate whether poor effort or his AO run had a sort of damage done there), and while his losses affected him, I think personally he won't quit because of these losses even if it is not really giving his game justice. This is his first year -- wait until the next to see how he replies in the long term. There is still US Open that he could try, and hope that being out of RG would not put him in the spotlight anymore.

·
23,064 Posts
Bartoli won a slam legitimately and it's an insult to her to compare her to this slamless* mug.
Come on now. I like Bartoli (and quite undeservedly disliked by some), but she didn't face any Top 15 players on her matches -- all players she faced were lower ranked than her. I believed if Lisicki didn't have that really big brain fart at the Finals (although Bartoli did have the right tactics most of the time) she would've won it comfortable (as she had defeated Bartoli before in earlier years which Bartoli is surely more on form).

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
1. Don't compare a joke like Bartoli's victory in Wimbledon vs Stan's victory at AO.

2. Stan should just enjoy tennis, he obviously can't handle the pressure but that should not be a excuse.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Bartoli Wimbledon win was the biggest sporting fluke of my lifetime.
In no way comparable to Stan beating both Novak & Rafa over best-of-5 in one tournament.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Come on now. I like Bartoli (and quite undeservedly disliked by some), but she didn't face any Top 15 players on her matches -- all players she faced were lower ranked than her. I believed if Lisicki didn't have that really big brain fart at the Finals (although Bartoli did have the right tactics most of the time) she would've won it comfortable (as she had defeated Bartoli before in earlier years which Bartoli is surely more on form).
i dont care if she didnt face any players ranked above her the fact is that she still faced tough opposition. its not like she ewas constantly faced qualifers, wild cards and players hinging on the top 100.

im tired of people using that to discredit her slam.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
HalBanks;22611834[B said:
]Bartoli Wimbledon win was the biggest sporting fluke of my lifetime.[/B]
In no way comparable to Stan beating both Novak & Rafa over best-of-5 in one tournament.
a former finalist in that event coming back and winning is not a fluke:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts