Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching the guy play here and there. Looks a lot like the kind of player who always beats lower ranked players and always lose to better players. Good serve, solid on both wings but no huuge weapon.
He's consistent already for his age, he's not flashy but doesn't look like the guy we'll see on "god mode", like Wawa or Cilic.
So, being on the top by winning several 250s, going deep in slams but not winning anything big seems a plausible future for the guy. What do you think?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,626 Posts
Both show a very strong capacity for choking if that's what you mean :p

I actually haven't followed enough of his matches to make a definite judgment yet. I agree his level is 'dependable' but doesn't seem to have a definite peak. He did well to keep with GGL this match despite missing those chances. But there's a long road of vulturing before a new Ferrer is born.

But generally Ferrer's style is sticking around long enough with consistency to make the opponent implode with pressure with enough time. Ferrer also doesn't give much space to work with the ball either, so it's maddening trying to hit winners past him. Vesely nowhere near as consistent as yet or a wall.

·
Registered
59,910 Posts
Vesely is considerably more prone to losing to lesser players. Hits with a lot less depth/ aggressive intent. Ferrer is a bit powerless, but does a lot more with the ball than Vesely does, so is probably always going to be a little less upset-prone.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
can't think of two players more different one with each other

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not talking about gamestyle which is obviously very different.
For example Berdych is very different than Ferrer but he has the same characteristic which is being consistent, being very good against worse players and very bad against top players. Both won a masters and that's it.
Rarely you see Berdych on god mode but you don't see him making stupid and huge mistakes (like Wawa sometimes).

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Vesely won't became a top 10 player. Ferrer is more consistent. I see him staying a top 50 player and getting a career high of about 14 winning a 250 plus reaching the QF's of 1 slam or 2.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I'm not talking about gamestyle which is obviously very different.
For example Berdych is very different than Ferrer but he has the same characteristic which is being consistent, being very good against worse players and very bad against top players. Both won a masters and that's it.
Rarely you see Berdych on god mode but you don't see him making stupid and huge mistakes (like Wawa sometimes).
This is a myth, Berdych has arguably the best track record against the top players outside the traditional top 4, he has beaten all of them at a Slam (only Tsonga can say the same) including Federer at his two best Slams. He also beat a peak Federer at the 2004 Olympic tournament. He's much better vs the top guys than for instance Wawrinka and Cilic, actually having more wins vs big 3 than those 2 put together (12 vs 8 for Wawrinka/Cilic combined, two of them Wawrinka vs a teenager Djokovic in 2006).

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ferrer was a top 5 player for a long time, and might be back up there again, who knows (currently 4th in race rankings). That kind of remarkable consistency and winning habits are nowhere to be found in Vesely's game. He tends to falter in the face of the first sign of shot variety from his opponent. He can't deal with angles very well.

He seems to me more like a less error-prone Janowicz, to be honest. He's definitely capable of upsetting a (lower-tier) top 10 player every once in a while if he manages to serve lights out and keep each point relatively short, though. He possesses the kind of raw power that makes it possible.

·
Administrator
9,544 Posts
Yes Vesely will be the new Ferrer making tons of money and OP will always be a virtual irrelevant piece of garbage in comparison.
I would not talk about garbage to others if I had an avatar of a cut, rotten orange (and some other fruits) like you.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
This is a myth, Berdych has arguably the best track record against the top players outside the traditional top 4, he has beaten all of them at a Slam (only Tsonga can say the same) including Federer at his two best Slams. He also beat a peak Federer at the 2004 Olympic tournament. He's much better vs the top guys than for instance Wawrinka and Cilic, actually having more wins vs big 3 than those 2 put together (12 vs 8 for Wawrinka/Cilic combined, two of them Wawrinka vs a teenager Djokovic in 2006).
true that

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
wat

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes Vesely will be the new Ferrer making tons of money and OP will always be a virtual irrelevant piece of garbage in comparison.
Yeah I was tempted to feel offended by this, but then it came to mind this came from our new member who is nothing but another useless teen girl obcessed by a tennis player (in this case Djokovic if the memory doesn't fail me), and in an infinite possibilites, decided to call himself "Tutsi Frutsi" :spit:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Nope, but he could be the next Almagro career wise

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Been watching the guy play here and there. Looks a lot like the kind of player who always beats lower ranked players and always lose to better players. Good serve, solid on both wings but no huuge weapon.
He's consistent already for his age, he's not flashy but doesn't look like the guy we'll see on "god mode", like Wawa or Cilic.
So, being on the top by winning several 250s, going deep in slams but not winning anything big seems a plausible future for the guy. What do you think?
He is pretty consistent, but he still loses to guys lower ranked then him quite often. He lost to Gimeno Traver a couple of weeks ago. I doubt he'll ever get as high ranked as Ferrer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts