Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will US Open 2020 be the first Slam without at least 2 of Big 3 since 2004 Wimby????

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There hasn't been a Grand Slam played without at least two of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic since the 2004 Wimbledon when only Fed played. Will this year's US Open be the first time this has happened since then???

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Very tough one to call. I am pretty certain Djokovic will show, even with all his posturing. The question is will Rafa give up an opportunity to win another slam given this is his 2nd most likely slam to win (after the French of course). He is 1 behind Fed in GS championships. Will he pass this up to secure #20 in Paris and hope for #21 in Paris next June? My guess is he will. So YES, this will be first Slam since Wimby 2004 without at least 2 of the BIG 3. Sad though :(

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Nobody is forcing Nadal to skip anything. He can easily play Cincy, USO and RG like Novak will. But I guess he doesn't have confidence he can win the USO or two slams like Novak does.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
To answer the poll question precisely: yes, it seems it will be the most asterisked ever slam in Tennis history, and so its results.

Very sad indeed.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
To answer the poll question precisely: yes, it seems it will be the most asterisked ever slam in Tennis history, and so its results.

Very sad indeed.
It will never be asterisked other than in your head, so why bother posting this?

·
Registered
830 Posts
IDEMO NOLE

Please win it against your arch rivals Thiem, Medvedev and Tsitsipas ! You can prove everyone again that you are the undisputed king at the moment.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
That's why I expect a really hard draw for Novak. He will likely need to beat Thiem in the final, Medvedev/Tsitsipas in the sf and Zverev/Agut in the qf

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm very sceptical about whether it will go ahead at all, but if it does I don't see why Djokovic wouldn't go. It's extremely unlikely he'd get it again. Not sure about Nadal.

Reactions: Break point Dom.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I don't think that anybody forces Nadal not to play the USO. So if only Novak is going to play, that's not exactly Novak's fault. Which means that there should NOT be the asterisk if Novak wins.

Other thing is that whether should there be the USO 2020 at all or not is highly questionable. Maybe it should be moved to some other place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As more challenger events and ATP events get cancelled, the USO 2020 has continued as planned for now (I believe the tournament's deadline for the final decision to go ahead is scheduled for next week). I remember reading last year that Nadal needed help getting dressed after last year's final (he had a walkover and five relatively straight forward matches otherwise until dueling with Medvedev for nearly 5 hours), so my hunch is he'll be prudent and realize that he's not at risk of losing/adding points at USO 2020 so it simply comes down to is it worth it to risk the travel, unknown, hardcourt playing surface, etc. and potentially compromise his Roland Garros assault a few weeks later? The obvious, rational answer for him should be no.

·
Rankings Master
15,658 Posts

Very sad indeed.
Unless Djokovic loses, in which case it will be 100% legit, no?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yes but Federer is injured and Nadal prefers to focus on RG as he knows he can't win both GS in a couple of weeks time. But if the US Open takes place, Murray will play as all the outsiders like Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev, Rublev, Khachanov, Sinner, RBA, Shapovalov, FAA,...
Maybe Wawrinka won't go or Dimitrov if not enough in form to play. Fognini might miss it too, but he was operated in June.
So I expect 70 to 80% of the top 100 to show up which would be a great number due to circumstances, so no GS with asterix and it would even be interesting to see how players react without the crowd and a smaller team for the big guns.
Apparently the final decision to hold or not the event will be released on 3 August.

·
Registered
11,815 Posts
The whole season following March 16 is already asterisked, similar to WW2. (e.g. *Suspended or moved or not played due to the COVID19 pandemic, or *No competition (due to COVID-19 pandemic) .)

*Any tournaments/matches that can be played for the remainder of the season are obviously optional, and a **bonus (some need it) for those that are able to participate at their own risk.

*ATP Rankings Adjustments FAQ: Will events played in 2020 after the suspension be considered mandatory?
No.

**ATP Rankings Adjustments FAQ: If a player has the same result from both the 2019 and 2020 Tour-level event, which year will be counted in his Ranking?
If a player earns the same result in both 2019 and 2020 at the same Tour-level event, he will keep his 2019 result and not count the 2020 result. An improved result in 2020 will be not be counted under their former Tour Level category, but instead will be considered among his ‘Best of Other Countable’ results and will only improve a player’s points total if the 2020 result is better than his lowest ‘Best of Other Countable’ result.

[Edited to provide source statements]

Historically,
masterclass

Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The whole season following March 16 is already asterisked, just like for WW2. (e.g. ***Suspended or moved or not played due to the COVID19 pandemic.)

Any tournaments/matches that can be played for the remainder of the season are obviously optional and a bonus (some need it) for those that are able to participate at their own risk.

Historically,
masterclass
The only thing currently asterisked are Federer's records for covid stopping his rivals while Federer was also out for the season. Deal with it.

·
justice for all
13,489 Posts
I really hope both Djokovic and Nadal play USO and go deep. Ideally one of them should lose in the final. That would significantly increase Thiem's chances to win Roland Garros.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I really hope both Djokovic and Nadal play USO and go deep. Ideally one of them should lose in the final. That would significantly increase Thiem's chances to win Roland Garros.
Novak will play USO, but he will have two weeks to get ready for RG after he wins USO. That's enough time to win RG also.

·
justice for all
13,489 Posts
Novak will play USO, but he will have two weeks to get ready for RG after he wins USO. That's enough time to win RG also.
You say it like it was a done deal he wins it. Good. The higher the expectations the bigger the suffering and disappointment.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts