Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Turkey be granted full membership into the European Union?

• Yes

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Not right now, but maybe in a few years.

Votes: 10 38.5%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the talks taking place yesterday, I'm curious as to what people think is going to happen in regards to Turkey? Do you think the EU will at least acknowledge all the reforms that Turkey has been making to meet the EU's standards, or will all of Turkey's efforts be moot?

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Croatia still has some issues with Yugoslavian war crimes that need to be resolved first.

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
Sol Apollo said:
Croatia still has some issues with Yugoslavian war crimes that need to be resolved first.
what does that have to do with EU, GB has some issues with Iraq, and any other counrty that has troops in Iraq

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:shrug: I guess there are still a few war criminals that the EU wants to be captured first.

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
Sol Apollo said:
:shrug: I guess there are still a few war criminals that the EU wants to be captured first.
but most are on the Serbian side, Croatia was not really that much in the war. Mostly Bosnia and Serbia

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
KarolBeckFan said:
"not really that much" still = some.

which is not enought to keep them out of the EU, its the economy that is the problem, and that is getting much better with the tourism sky rocketing in Croatia last few years.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turkey still has come a long way in terms of human rights as well as modernizing (or should that be westernizing? ;)) political, economic, and social issues within the country. The country isn't perfect (which one is?), but at least the leaders are making an effort to make things better. I just think that the immediate impact for Turkey could turn very ugly if they're not accepted soon, because there are more than likely going to be hard-line traditionalists upset that all of Turkey's effort were in vain.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Cyprus will use the veto.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
With Croatia, it is one war criminal, Ante Gotovina that is an obstacle to EU integration. With Turkey there are many issues. These include recognizing Cyprus as an EU member, recognizing genocide of Armenians, allowing freedom of religion and giving Kurds more rights. If these are done than it will be harder for EU members to reject Turkey. I'm myself am for Turkey integration only if all of these points that I mentionned are implemented.

From AP News (just today)
'Turkey has an advantage in investigating Islamic groups — with a 100 percent Muslim police force, as religious minorities are not accepted — but that has failed to translate into big gains'.

Religious minorites are not permitted in Police forces. This is a prime example of Turkey not giving equal treatment to religious minority groups.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
hmmm I'm all for Turkey joining, but for that to happen there's still a lot of work for the Turkish government involving the equality of men and women, human rights in general, ...

maybe in a few years *I just hope the EU doesn't try to rush into things, with the last new member states just a while ago*

ps. hello there Jimmy.. did you miss me, hot stuff? :kiss:

·
Registered
822 Posts
If Turkey joins the EU, that means that the EU will share a border with Iran, Iraq, and Syria - borders known not to be very secure. All EU member states are required to eventually join the "Schengen area" where there are no internal border controls (unless an exemption is granted like UK & Ireland received). That means if you are able to get across the border into Turkey, you will face no more border checks or customs in the EU, and will have a clear path to Germany, France, or Spain, for example.

The accession of Turkey to the EU has been a big topic for a long time. Turkey has a population of over 70 million, the EU as a whole only 500 million. It would make them have the most MEPs of all member states.
It also has a lot to do with Cyprus. All existing member states would have to unanimously vote to allow Turkey in, and there is no chance that Cyprus would allow it while Turkey is still occupying part of the island. Turkey has made it clear they will not back down.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Why should turkey join this s*thole EU?
In fact there is no European Union or something like european values. Most nations put their interest above everything. EU failed in every crisis of the last 10 years. taxes, TTIP, Schengen, financial crisis, refugee-crisis, job market... just name it and you can be sure that the EU making the wrong choices

btw: I don't need turkey in the EU. A turkey with Erdogan is impossible. EU and turkey making deals about the refugees. EU will pay turkey to hold their refugees. That's the whole story

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
EU will pay turkey to hold their refugees. That's the whole story
No, we won't accept that. Turkey is not refugee camp, we are independent country, and we don't need to receive money and host millions of foreign and unkown people. We already have 1,5 millions of them as 'guest'.

So good luck with the refugee flow. Erdogan is crazy, I don't know what he will do, but public will strongly reject that plan. We have our own economical problems already.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussing about Turkey entering the UE :rolleyes: when with French bankrupcy and British referendum the whole thing is about to explode

1 - 19 of 19 Posts