Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
World no.1 Ash Barty has pulled out of Cincinnati and the US Open. In her statement, she said:

I love both events so this was a difficult decision, but there are still significant risks involved due to COVID-19 and I don’t feel comfortable putting my team and I in that position.
So, will the top men expose their teams to the risk? We know that Djokovic and others have pressured the US Open into allowing bigger entourages, thus potentially putting more people in harm's way. But given the seriousness of the situation in the US, will they have a change of heart and decide that the welfare of their teams comes first?

After all, the teams surrounding players are like their families. Nobody really wants to place their loved ones at risk.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It's not sure that what Barty writes is the only or the main reason.

I don't know Barty's team, but I guess most of it's members are not elderly people or with a pre-existing health condition. So they don't run a big personal risk when travelling to a region with a lot of Covid cases.

I would rather think that some players don't want to participate in an event that will inevitably lead to more infections (among the spectators, staff, etc), whatever the precautions taken by the organizers are. It's still controversial to go ahead with non-essential entertainment events while the pandemic is raging.

·
justice for all
13,474 Posts
The last thing that Djokovic cares for is protecting anyone including his team against COVID-19 - as proven by Adria Tour.
So with a selfish guy like the Serbian vulture it seems to be only a rhetorical question.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Let's just wait and see how many top players are selfish and willing to put their team's health at risk.

One thing I know for sure: If Federer was healthy, he would definitely skip entire US tour, because he is such a great guy.. and he has a heart....

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
OP’s concern is so touching it makes me want to..............Lmfao. Btw, what records are Farty Barty chasing again?
Yes. I am deeply touched also. I mean, "The Federest" has been begging for the entire season to be canceled (especially the slams) because he really cares about everyone's health. I'm really sure his concerns are genuine and it has nothing to do with someone's records being under threat who happens to be out for the season also.

·
Your visions will happen
47,391 Posts
Djokovic and Nadal have far too much history at stake to miss any tournament in this little stretch

We do not know if there will be anything in the fall so this next string of events may be all we get until Jan. 2021, so it is best to go all out

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Fedtards’ posts just makes me laugh so hard these days. They do not even try to hide their opinions. Why don’t y’all just gtfo until Federer comes back? It would be better for your health, no? Anw your poor little voices are not gonna be heard though, and the slams will still be played, and your dear records will not be held for much longer :LOL:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Australians are confined within their country (if not state) so it doesn't matter what Barty 'decides'.
Don't you think Australia would have been able to make an exception for the world number one in women's tennis and allow her to travel?

Me thinks Australia has a lot of fresh air.

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Looks like Federer fans have moved on from their wishful thinking that the US Open is going to be cancelled (because that is and was never going to happen) to hoping somehow that Djokovic simply doesn't show up. Getting real desperate now.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Speaking of Barty, Cases in Australia going up, up, up. And this just one month after Adria Tour, Novak Djokovic, please explain!

Reactions: yellow grass

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Let's just wait and see how many top players are selfish and willing to put their team's health at risk.

One thing I know for sure: If Federer was healthy, he would definitely skip entire US tour, because he is such a great guy.. and he has a heart....
He's olderer after all

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Speaking of Barty, Cases in Australia going up, up, up. And this just one month after Adria Tour, Novak Djokovic, please explain!

Ohh fuck, that's a big change.

I think countries not that affected (like March Australia) will have spikes at some point (including New Zealand), unless a vaccine is mass produced first. They are just delaying the inevitable

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Ohh fuck, that's a big change.

I think countries not that affected (like March Australia) will have spikes at some point (including New Zealand), unless a vaccine is mass produced first. They are just delaying the inevitable
Yeah, NZ might work out given it's an island at the absolute end of the world (although I doubt they will be able to lock up their country succesfully for more than a couple of years), but for everybody else, the virus is coming sooner or later.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The last thing that Djokovic cares for is protecting anyone including his team against COVID-19 - as proven by Adria Tour.
So with a selfish guy like the Serbian vulture it seems to be only a rhetorical question.
Let us who will participate else and what you will write about Thiem for example. The same ?

·
Registered
785 Posts
They will all play the US Open. We can trust our male tennis players. At least the guys who are serious making money and history. They want it way too much.
Djokovic, Nadal, Thiem, Medvedev, Tsitsipas and so on. We will have them all. It will be a battle. And no annoying crowd or Mirka. Just the two chess players on the court fighting like real men.

Reactions: Phillo

·
justice for all
13,474 Posts
Let us who will participate else and what you will write about Thiem for example. The same ?
I admit Dominic’s behaviour regarding distancing during Adria Tour and self-isolating afterwards was a bit careless although it was not even half as bad as Djokovic’s who was the owner of the event.
See? I at least try to judge this in an unbiased manner while you Djokotards...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I admit Dominic’s behaviour regarding distancing during Adria Tour and self-isolating afterwards was a bit careless although it was not even half as bad as Djokovic’s who was the owner of the event.
See? I at least try to judge this in an unbiased manner while you Djokotards...
Thiem said Novak did nothing wrong, though.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Any non serious player will be able to compete without their "team". Let them come up with their own strategies, stretch on their own, pack their own bags etc, have the ol "Johnny Groove" experience if you will. I guarantee that without their gigantic entourages the big 3 would be far more susceptible to upsets from players in the lower reaches of the top 100, players who couldnt possibly afford "teams".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts