Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so another Rafole final just like the fans wanted.

If Nadal wins this i feel it will give him a huge confidence boost for RG. Both Nadal and Uncle Tony had admitted that he lacked confidence in his game which resulted in many shock defeats on his beloved clay this year, so beating Novak here will be great for him.

From Novak's perspective he'd want this win badly because, after that heartbreaking loss to Nadal at RG last year he seems to have lost some of his mental toughness. So beating Nadal on clay would give him that belief and momentum he's looking for.

So will the winner of Rome 14 have a significant upper hand as we head to RG next week? Discuss :wavey:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Its possible but I would say that it is just as likely that the opposite result of today would happen in a subsequent final. I feel its more important for Rafa to win than Novak but really I dont think it will give either a big upper hand. Being routined 6-2 6-1 by Novak could however send Nadal's confidence on a downward spiral but I still struggle to believe this confidence problems thing hes got going on would be a problem considering at RG hes been so dominant

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its possible but I would say that it is just as likely that the opposite result of today would happen in a subsequent final. I feel its more important for Rafa to win than Novak but really I dont think it will give either a big upper hand. Being routined 6-2 6-1 by Novak could however send Nadal's confidence on a downward spiral but I still struggle to believe this confidence problems thing hes got going on would be a problem considering at RG hes been so dominant
Yeah i mean based on Nadal's performance on clay this year, Rome is very important for him. He was very lucky to win Madrid last week .

Novak on the other hand knows he was so close last year and called it his most painful loss so there is this element of self doubt whether he could do it again. Which is why beating Nadal here is very important imo.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
nope. bo5 is another story, and conditions in paris are way different too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts