Mens Tennis Forums banner

How will the USO victory affect Thiem's future performance?

• Better, his mental barrier is removed after winning the first slam

• No change, his performance will still stay the same

• Worse, winning a slam will make him less motivated

• Worse, becoming a slam champion will create new pressure that he will fail to cope with

• Other

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Domi's first major title, there's lot of expectation that he is going to have a breakthrough and win many slams soon. I have no doubt that his current level is very good and consistent in the tour, the mental block is still a little bit (which he successfully overcame in USO final), and I highly appreciate his work ethic as well. But we should not overlook first slam side effects - new pressure on a champion, diminishing motivation, etc. We know there were numerous players in the history that failed to win slam after winning the first one.

So which scenario do you think that Thiem's career will go from now? Discuss

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
It’ll definitely be better than if he lost the final after choking the SFM and 2 easy shots on match points, that would be a disasterous scenario for him to lose a 4th final like that. Not sure if he’ll ever be a great finals player though, he’s had enough chances and hasn’t managed to find his best level in them, I think his performance will stay more or less the same.

Reactions: BodyServe

·
justice for all
15,151 Posts
I believe in the long run it will help him to win more. The expectations after 3 lost slam finals were very high even before this USO. Now when he’s done it and is a slam champion finally he’ll play more freely and with the new added belief.
And he’s got at least 4-5 years more of playing in his prime. The opportunities will appear and he will take some of them. As a fan I’ll be perfectly happy if he finishes with 3 slams but I think that up to 5 are doable.
Roland Garros next. Maybe Dominic will be too overwhelemed with his recent win (that happened in the past to different players) but hopefully this won’t be the case and he’ll fight for the win. Having seen how Rafa and Novak played in Rome I believe his chances are high. Come on!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I always think Thiem is an incremental improver - he lost his first slam final 3-0, then 3-1, then 3-2...he'll win RG final 3-1.

He's definitely had mental issues throughout his career to date and has been improving them a lot under Massu. I don't think winning big points or matches is natural to him, like it is to some players. But I think his first slam will take that pressure off and he will play more freely in the big moments.

On a side note, we've been spoiled by the big three/four. But particularly Djokovic and Nadal who are absolutely massive in big moments.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
He of all people does not seem to struggle with motivation. He's also been around long enough that he shouldn't struggle with overhyping himself the way someone like Sofia Kenin did. I would expect him to play freer, particularly in future slam finals, but I think he may still have a mental block against the big three.

·
Registered
533 Posts
First Thiem's finals were against best players ever at their favourite tournaments. That 0-3 didn't mean shit. This time he just did the job somehow. He is hardworker, will always be motivated. He is gonna be less stressed in future GS finals, thats it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts